Training with posture issues

gunsblazingmode

Belt with 50 shades of grey
@Orange
Reaction score
For many years i got lordosis,scoliosis and winged scapula. This issues are common probably to 90 procent of current generation (sitting and playing video games too much,plus bad sleeping form). Lifting weights with this issues is big risk to get injured and bad results as well. Im gonna try to use correction exercises and stretches to fix that. i plan in few years fix this that. Does anyone here faced similar problems and fixed it?

Last edited:
if you don't look like quasimodo just lift.
lamar gant began lifting because of scoliosis iirc and it didn't put him back that much.

For many years i got lordosis,scoliosis and winged scapula. This issues are common probably to 90 procent of current generation (sitting and playing video games too much,plus bad sleeping form). Lifting weights with this issues is big risk to get injured and bad results as well. Im gonna try to use correction exercises and stretches to fix that. i plan in few years fix this that. Does anyone here faced similar problems and fixed it?
Lumbar lordosis/anterior tilt of the pelvis, and some sort of winged scapula might be prevalent, but scoliosis is not. Unless you mean to say kyphosis.

Either way, all these things might have an impact on your lifting ability, pain and performance, and they might not. It depends entirely on the individual and severity.

You could definitely track down some postural corrections and see how it works out for you over time, or you could go see a professional if the issue is limiting you in any meaningful way.

There are some very good yoga sequences out there for helping to deal with postural issues. I don't know if you can flat out "fix" it but if you know the alignment issues you can certainly train to minimize their impact on your regular lifting.

I have very, very mild scoliosis and it's never impacted my training beyond some general low back pain when I don't take my stretching and yoga seriously (meaning I don't do them for like 9 months and then act surprised shit starts to hurt).

Egoscue and Original Strength are both good ways to get your body back to where it needs to be or close to it. Both of these systems treat the body as a unit instead of a collection of parts.

Stretching is not going to fix your posture.

I would stay away from squats, cleans or dead lifts until you have better form and strengthen your back.

I had pretty bad posture but was able to fix it somewhat, but my brother has scoliosis of the upper back. (Too much gaming as kids) I would do a lot of pull ups and reverse flys with dumbbells, lean over slightly while doing them. These should tighten your back muscles and naturally pull your back and shoulders up right.

I think some sleeping form check vids are needed to better assess.

Back