Training specifically to pull guard in tournaments

Jumping closed guard is risky. It's a good way to get hurt, especially at lower levels. If you want to get to closed guard. I think the easiest way is to get a same side collar and sleeve grip, put your opposite foot in his abdomen, sit down while push/pulling, and right as you hit the ground let you foot slide off his stomach and pull him forward into closed guard. If he sits down on the pull and you can't pull him forward, you can transition immediately to DLR with very strong collar + sleeve grips.

Not sure why your coaches wouldn't want you to use a guard that's working for you in the gym. Pulling to half guard with a collar drag looking to immediately come up on a single is a very viable method of pulling.

Yes that is way i have been practicing the move.

I'm a bit confused as well. It could be they are not impressed with my half guard.

I would recomend situp guard variants, so you can specialize training time on most the same technique for both your buttwrestling and your neutral game.

Cobrinha is an absolute madman with the sit up single and probably highest profile guy to study with that style.

Even though its not pure grappling, i think it would also be useful to study Maia's signature single sweep, which is pretty situp guard-y.

Well, he uses a leg hook to set it up by holding their leg in place, so i guess on a formal level you could technically call it HG, but on a substantial level, his posture is very sat up while working it.

General rule in my gym:
"Dont pull guard!"
I dont care if my student loses a match. I see him pull guard, he is out the door.

Back