1. New Sherdog Meme Generator! Check is out Here Use it to win a free platinum accountHere
    Dismiss Notice

Training space / storage for gear.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by bucknekked, Apr 22, 2017.

1. bucknekked White Belt

bucknekked
    I'm in a weird situation right now where I'm in between schools and I'm looking for the right fit with the right scheduled so I can go back to training on a regular basis.

In the meantime , my parent's house has slowly become overly crowded with junk from a mild case of hording to the point where I can't really do my my regular workouts in my basements or garage anymore. So...I'm looking for some place where I would be able to store a bunch of my training gear and that would also double as a training space. I don't need a lot of space but at the same time I wanna be able to move around.

I have a wing chun wooden dummy and a heavy bag witth a century stand (which I might trade in for a century versys bag) couple of kettle bells, a double ended bag and a whole bunch of other stuff...

I was just wondering if anybody had ever come across a situation like this or if anybody had any suggestions for what I should look for or even if somebody had some space for rent.

I thought about a storage space and some of them aren't too expensive but some of the owners told me that what I wanted to do wasn't allowed...(probably insurance reasons and what not but would probably work if I didn't tell them what I wanted to do)

Let me know what you guys think... I know it's a weird project but it could lead to something bigger in the near future.

Brutalcorn likes this.
  2. Cafecito Negro White Belt

Cafecito Negro
    Hey bro sorry to ask a question when you want an answer for yours lol, but I'm in the middle of getting Versys 1 bag for 115 used and seeing the MSRP not a bad deal. But my question is how well does the bag work since I saw you mentioned it?

Just so I don't come off as a complete asshole I would either stick to getting a storage and my be using it to rain in there or get a double end bag and you can buy a harness to hook it up anywhere and use a kettlebell to anchor it for the meanwhile till you get your own space. I'll try and think of better plans as well bro. Good luck.

3. bucknekked White Belt

bucknekked
    I've only tried the first iteration of the versys v1 bag and my first impression were that it was a fairly decent stand up punching bag. you can't go on it as hard as you would with a standard hanging heavy bag but it also has enough give that you can practice technical stuff like hook kicks and over hands without worrying about hurting yourself.

Keep in mind that like 95% of the weight is in the base, so it's not technically a heavy bag. it's a wavemaster with a detachable base. now I've heard of people having the actual cylinder part hydraulically filled like real heavy bag but I don't know how that affects the balance and performance of it.

I personally wanted to get the V2 because that way it would double as a wrestling dummy for me to practice my take downs on and I like doing more technical stuff then power shots. then again I would probably mod mine to fill it with something heavy to make my workouts a little more intense.

anyways those are my 2 cents, hope this helps.

4. The bad boy Double Yellow Card

The bad boy
    You could borrow/rent a trailer from someone, and look for a free shed on craigslist. Then take a buddy or three to go pick it up. Then put it on your parents property.

Put all your training equipment in your new shed, like your heavy bag stand, etc. It will be out of the weather and all yours, champ.

Brutalcorn likes this.
  5. bucknekked White Belt

bucknekked
    I thought about that, tearing down the old shed is actually in the renovation plans but problem is it's just going to be more room for them to clutter up... I need my own space offsite to be able to kinda unwind away from everything.

Thanks for the idea though its still something to thing about.

6. The bad boy Double Yellow Card

The bad boy
    I think your only solution outside of renting your own place, is to offer to clean up the places you used to work out in (like garage or basement).

Consolidate all of their crap by stacking it in boxes. Put the stuff that dont need to be insidein the garage or shed so you have more room inside. It might be a lot of work but once you have that place cleaned up, dont let them store any more crap with your workout stuff.

7. browng210 Yellow Belt

browng210
    Drive around looking for a garage that looks empty? Offer owner a hundred bucks a month so yo can hit the heavy and bag work out?? I have thought about buying an enclosed carport or one of those steel garages, but you have to put flooring down, etc. I'm in Ohio so this may be a regional deal, but we have all kinds of amish build sheds and little garages for a monthly rate, rent to own type situation. You could get like a 12x20 shed for a couple hundred a month and own it in 3-4 years I think, and they are usually free delivery.

8. bucknekked White Belt

bucknekked
    Actually garage space might be a great idea! I'll see what I can dig up.

9. bucknekked White Belt

bucknekked
    you under estimate the hording powers of an asian mother my friend.

10. The bad boy Double Yellow Card

The bad boy
    Ummm for 100 bucks a month he could just join a real pros gym. Lol

11. Brutalcorn White Belt

Brutalcorn
    Couldn't you settle on buying a small garden shed that would have storing space in the walls and space to train inside it?

12. bucknekked White Belt

bucknekked
    I'm currently in between gyms right now. I'm going around trying to find the right fit for me and I haven't found anything yet. There's a few gyms I'd like to Frankenstein pieces of but nothing that's made me feel like "this is the place for me" yet. so I'm still looking.

browng210 likes this.
  13. bucknekked White Belt

bucknekked
    I wouldn't have room in my yard for a second shed. the first one is already fill to the brim with useless junk my parents have gathered over the years. we're planning on tearing that down and rebuilding it and expanding it in the near future but that's going to be for more "organized" hording and to make a small greenhouse for winter.

14. The bad boy Double Yellow Card

The bad boy
    Ah, you live in Toronto.

Must be fun paying a million dollars for a tiny house from 1940.

Maybe clean out your bathroom-sized bedroom, and you could fit a double end bag in there. lol

15. bucknekked White Belt

bucknekked
    yeah kinda sucks right now... but I'm keeping my head up high.

The bad boy likes this.