Training question

Cjay

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey fellow mixed martial arts enthusiasts, I've been training for about a year now in Muay Thai and Bjj, having a blast. Since I've started training I've noticed significant increases in strength and stamina. ATM I am 6'1, 210#. max squat is ~360#, deadlift 415#, but my bench is lacking at only 225# and refuses to budge. Some days I can rep 5-8 but most days once I ladder up I can only 3-5 reps. What can I do to get past this plateau?

6'1", 210# My normal regimen consists of Muay Thai amd Bjj 3x a week and weight training 4x a week. My heavy workout days are generally on the days I don't do Thai or Bjj. So I warm up with a 1.5 mile run then do spot/start sprints where I sprint a lap(indoor track) and walk 30 seconds. Then I hit weights, if I'm doing upper body then I warm up with tricep kickback and curls. Then I hit bench, upper/low row, shoulder raises, ropes and kettle bell lifts. I've heard working in plyo helps out to a degree so I'm working that in now.

You want to follow some sort of linear progression programme for your bench, 5x5 is good for this so go read the FAQs if you want to know more about that. Otherwise the FAQ's is loaded with information on how to overcome plateaus and programming for strength and conditioning..

Just getting a bigger bench is not really gonna help you much as a fighter. But maybe it's just a personal goal of yours to have a bigger bench and that's ok. So just realize that.

Just getting a bigger bench is not really gonna help you much as a fighter. But maybe it's just a personal goal of yours to have a bigger bench and that's ok. So just realize that.
Yeah I know, it's more of a vanity thing if anything.

[QUOTE="Cjay, post: 113177281, member: 498613] "Some days I can rep 5-8 but most days once I ladder up I can only 3-5 reps. What can I do to get past this plateau? [/QUOTE]
If you have the time and energy, do doubles/triples for 6-10 sets with the highest possible weight. With this volume you get skill practice and you can make progress by either adding sets (up to 10) or reducing the rest period, without the need for much programming at this level.

[QUOTE="Cjay, post: 113177281, member: 498613] "Some days I can rep 5-8 but most days once I ladder up I can only 3-5 reps. What can I do to get past this plateau?
If you have the time and energy, do doubles/triples for 6-10 sets with the highest possible weight. With this volume you get skill practice and you can make progress by either adding sets (up to 10) or reducing the rest period, without the need for much programming at this level.[/QUOTE]

So bank out 225-235# 2-3 times for 6 sets? Should I do this on my main strength day(days where I do 5x5) or as an everyy other day thing?

Post a video of yourself benching. Sometimes you can put some weight on your bench by just refining your setup and technique.

Some other things to consider would be to increase the volume you're pressing. Some people respond very well to benching multiple times in the week. Obviously you'll need to adjust the intensity accordingly, but it could just be as simple as you're not benching enough to get an adequate training stimulus to improve. A more in-depth look at your weight training routine would be helpful (sets/reps, accessory work, days, etc.)

Is your actual bench max 225 lbs or not? You talk about doing reps, so what weight is that with?

Is your actual bench max 225 lbs or not? You talk about doing reps, so what weight is that with?

On a good day I can hit 4-8 reps at 225# with a little difficulty but it doesn't feel like I am about to die. I've been doing 5x5 at 215# only going up if I feel froggy.

On a good day I can hit 4-8 reps at 225# with a little difficulty but it doesn't feel like I am about to die. I've been doing 5x5 at 215# only going up if I feel froggy.

Your bench doesn't look bad compared to your other lifts.

Your bench doesn't look bad compared to your other lifts.

A few leg injuries in the past are what hold me back, in the back of my mind im afraid of going heavy and getting hurt again.

If you want to make progress look into a legit strength program.

One thing of note is if you're attempting to go heavy on bench, don't "warm up" with triceps and biceps. Seeing as bench is a compound movement and utilizes triceps a lot, you're essentially pre fatiguing before a heavy lift which doesn't make much sense. If you're generally failing at a specific point of the lift, try to recognize what point and strengthen your pressing though that point with spoto presses/board presses/targeted accessory work.

Took everyones advice, and have been doing 5x5 on Bench, Squat, Dl, Row, and Military press and tbh while bench hasnt gone up by much i've noticed a significant difference in the level of difficulty.

Back