Training question (40ish and over)

You say you are out of shape. How well do you make it through a single GI class on full rest?

I made it thru the class. If say we wind up sparring the last 20 minutes if I'm tired after the first match i will sit out and maybe go the next round.

So would this be better?

Monday Muay thai then BJJ gi back to back 1 hour each

Wednesday Muay thai then BJJ gi back to back 1 hour each

either Tuesday or Thursday add 1 no gi then that it for the week
Why do you need to do stand up then bjj. I would pick one then stick with it. You aren't going to fight bro. It's too late.

Not fighting (unless i get assaulted) Thai just looks like a great way to get in shape. I hate the typical gym(weights)

The thai class is right before the bjj class. I wind up getting there like 40 before the classes start.

Mate just do it and find out. Nobody can tell you how fit you are or how quite you recover.

If you're aching all the time and tired and shit then back off until you're recovering.

Hope to get back into BJJ this year, after a long time out due to injury. Ideally, my schedule is going to look like this:

Monday: Jogging.

Tuesday: BJJ.

Wednesday: Weights.

Thursday: BJJ.

Friday: Rest.

Saturday: Jogging.

Sunday: Weights.

In a perfect world, I'd be doing a lot more classes. But I have to train around a full time job and allow for recovery.

So would this be better?

Monday Muay thai then BJJ gi back to back 1 hour each

Wednesday Muay thai then BJJ gi back to back 1 hour each

either Tuesday or Thursday add 1 no gi then that it for the week

Only you can answer, I would suggest starting off light and seeing how you react. If you can recover then increase the workload. We can not give you the answer.

Hope to get back into BJJ this year, after a long time out due to injury. Ideally, my schedule is going to look like this:

Monday: Jogging.

Tuesday: BJJ.

Wednesday: Weights.

Thursday: BJJ.

Friday: Rest.

Saturday: Jogging.

Sunday: Weights.

In a perfect world, I'd be doing a lot more classes. But I have to train around a full time job and allow for recovery.
I'm in the same boat. 42 with wife and kids. Kids are active year round in sports (wrestling, bjj, football, baseball). I work rotating shift work (days and nights). So I can't have a set day of the week schedule. I get 3-4 gym trips a week, 2 classes of bjj a week. I have no aspirations of being a Champ....I just enjoy grappling. Even if I could go to more bjj classes a week I don't think my body would be able to recover properly. With working nights and lifting (not giving it up) my body needs time to rest.

I made it thru the class. If say we wind up sparring the last 20 minutes if I'm tired after the first match i will sit out and maybe go the next round.

Forgot to ask...how soon did you go to class again and similar/better endurance in that next class? I'd work on getting full participation in class twice a week before trying to go a third or fourth time. I was similar age and in a lot worse shape, than you, when I started. I didn't have the option to go more frequently, even if I physically could, because my instructor requires twice a week max for the first six weeks. I also agree with the others on here that excessive training without a solid foundation will lead to quick burnout.

I'm in the same boat. 42 with wife and kids. Kids are active year round in sports (wrestling, bjj, football, baseball). I work rotating shift work (days and nights). So I can't have a set day of the week schedule. I get 3-4 gym trips a week, 2 classes of bjj a week. I have no aspirations of being a Champ....I just enjoy grappling. Even if I could go to more bjj classes a week I don't think my body would be able to recover properly. With working nights and lifting (not giving it up) my body needs time to rest.

I'm a few years older and I make the same sort of schedule. But I'm now finding my body aches for a good day afterwards. I can do a sold hours weight-training and I feel just find after and the next day. But a BJJ rolling session and I feel beaten up that night and at least the next day too.

Do you get that at all?

I'm a few years older and I make the same sort of schedule. But I'm now finding my body aches for a good day afterwards. I can do a sold hours weight-training and I feel just find after and the next day. But a BJJ rolling session and I feel beaten up that night and at least the next day too.

Do you get that at all?
Absolutely. I have no issues rolling hard. Feel fine that night. Next day feel like I've been hit by a truck. I have no issues with being sore after the gym....aside from heavy squat sessions. I attribute some of being sore after bjj to age, work schedule, and busy with my kids and their sports. Would like to train more often but it's just not feasible with my life. Plus like I said before....I have no dreams of being anything in bjj. I just enjoy it. Plus side is my kids do it and they think it's awesome that dad does it also.

Back