Training Paleo

rms13

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I have been pretty strict Paleo for a month. No gluten, no dairy, no legumes, hardly any fruit or nuts. I have had a few sweet potatoes, some dark chocolate and a few NorCal Margaritas but pretty much sticking to the plan. I train Muay Thai but have taken the last 2 weeks off due to an achilles injury. In the mean time I have been cycling and doing a lot of upper body weights/strength training. The first couple of weeks adjusting to the diet were tough but I haven't had cravings for bread or cereal or other high carb foods over the last week and my strength and energy is starting to surpass how I felt a month ago. I am going to try to keep a log of my daily food and any training. Since I am not concerned with portions I will be general.

Current stats: 34 years old, 5'10" 180lbs (probably 15-17% body fat). I weighed in at 188 30 days ago.

Today's log:

Breakfast-handful of raspberries and about 4 slices of Columbus peppered turkey
Lunch- baked chicken breast and broccoli
Dinner-2 chicken and apple sausage, roasted brussel sprout and sweet potato with bacon
Snack-rasberries and home made beef jerky
Beverages-water and green tea

Exercise: cycling and weights concentrating on shoulder muscles

Breakfast- hand full of raspberries, 4 slices turkey
Lunch- roast chicken and broccoli
Dinner- Pacific cod, brussel sprouts, bacon, sweet potato
Snacks- beef jerkey, avacado

Training: weights back, bicep and deadlifts.

If anyone else has experience with Paleo and fight training, I'd love to hear any tips and comments. I've only been on the diet plan for a month. The first two weeks training Muay Thai after going Paleo I was completely gassed after 20 minutes in the gym and up until than I could train 90 mins without gassing too hard. Then I was out injured the next two weeks so I can't say who my body has adjusted. I have noticed in the last couple of days my max weights when lifting is going up. I'm going to check out a BJJ class tomorrow night for the first time and hopefully get back to MT this week.

Breakfast- raspberries, 2 chicken apple sausages
Lunch- Baja Fresh. Salad with steak (hold the cheese and tortilla strips) with salsa.
Dinner- Chicken breast and spinach with coconut milk
Snacks- Beef jerky, avocado, 1 square 90% dark chocolate

Training- none, sore from deadlifts. Valuable rest instead

I've been on the paleo diet for 3 months. I also Zone, so my portions are controlled. I eat a total of 30 blocks a day, which is huge - 6 x 5 block meals, but I'm 6'4" and 225 pounds. I'm a bjj brown belt, and grapple a lot. I don't have a lot of cravings at all. It isn't hard for me to be on the diet. Once the routine is set its easy.

I eat mostly sweet potatoes for veggies. I try to do half my carbs from veggies/half from fruit. Getting enough veggies is very hard. Also, getting enough protein from meat/eggs is hard, so I supplement a lot of powder protein - which is not strictly paleo.

Are you taking fish oil? You should be taking mad amounts of fish oil. Also, drinking enough water? I think the the gas tank issue is supposed to pass after you adjust, but try upping your fats or at least finding out about it. Pretty sure it is not uncommon. Are you losing weight/or trying to lose weight? Maybe part of the issue is that you are not eating enough. It looks like I eat about three times the volume you do. Honestly you should be eating 5 meals a day, not three, and cut out the snacks.

Sickest post WO shake: protein, almond milk, sweet potato, walnuts, little bit of water. Sounds insane but it's delishous and about as good a PW meal as you can get.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I am taking fish oil. 2 caps in the morning and 2 at night of 1200mg and D3 supplements. I probably need to up the fish oil. I drink plenty of water. Only other beverages I have is unsweetned tea and ocassional adult bev which I have been sticking with tequilla/lime/soda water when I have a drink.
I read Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution and I'm reading Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint now. I also read a lot of blogs and listen to paleo podcasts. So I'm still learning and fine tuning my approach to it.
My short term goal is to lean out and get to 10% or lower body fat than start adding more muscle. Once I get to the point of going for gains ill increase my eating. I also haven't been training as hard the last couple of weeks as imr recovering from an injury

Breakfast- 1 chicken and apple sausage, few slices turkey
Lunch- chicken and spinach in coconut milk
Dinner- Canned smoked herring in canola oil. Not real paleo cause of the oil but I've had a few cans sitting in my apartment.
Snacks- beef jerky

Training- weights. chest and triceps 4 sets of 4 exercises going for max weight. 4 sets of 25 rep ab work.

Ate dinner after quick training session. I probably could have skipped dinner but made sure to get some fat and protein post work out. Before starting paleo I would start getting hungry 2 hours after eating.

Breakfast- few slices turkey
Lunch- half roasted chicken, zucchini and a few roasted red potatoes
Dinner- beef jerky, turkey, sweet potato, bacon, avocado, 2 squares of 75% dark chocolate. Just grazed all night while watching tv and playing Uncharted 3 on PS3. Many small meals for dinner.

Training- Weights, shoulders.

Hey OP, good on you for going paleo. I notice you don't seem to be including nuts in your paleo diet. Why is this? Nuts keep me feeling full for hours and add texture and flavor to most cuisine.

Also, do you make roasts of meat often? I find making a large roast and then eating it over a few days is one of the more efficient ways to eat paleo.

Hey OP, good on you for going paleo. I notice you don't seem to be including nuts in your paleo diet. Why is this? Nuts keep me feeling full for hours and add texture and flavor to most cuisine.

Also, do you make roasts of meat often? I find making a large roast and then eating it over a few days is one of the more efficient ways to eat paleo.

The first book I read was Robb Wolf's and I have been listening to his podcast going back to the first episode. He is real negative on eating large amounts of nuts and recommends no nuts at all if you can avoid them. His opinion is they can keep you fat if you are eating too many and they are good to keep you feeling full when transitioning to paleo but shouldn't be a permanent staple of the diet. I know other people think that certain tree nuts and seeds should be a part of paleo diet. I was eating some cashews, almonds and macadamias the first couple weeks but I don't particularly crave them and I don't need them any longer to feel full.

I haven't been doing any roasts but I have been buying big top round roasts and slicing it up to make home made jerky to last the week. I have been eating some good quality turkey cold cuts that are gluten, nitrate and preservative free but I think I will move to cooking some more meat to last a few days to replace that and lean roasts will be a good idea.

Breakfast- 2 chicken sausages
Lunch- 1 lb grass fed ground beef, spinach
Dinner- Sweet potato, can sardines in olive oil, beef jerky

Training- weights back, deadlifts, abs.

Breakfast- about 1.5 lbs of homemade chicken wings while watching the 10am football games.
Lunch/Dinner- about .75 lbs of pork ribs, some spinach, cabbage and bacon, couple of pieces of 90% dark chocolate, couple pieces beef jerky.

Training- Weights. Chest, triceps and abs.

I used to lift weights regularly. I basically took the last 2 years off and focused on Muay Thai as my primary work out during the week. Since I injured my achilles 3 weeks ago all I have been doing is lifting weights everyday for exercise. I've added about 40 lbs to my bench press in the past couple of weeks. Of course I was out of practice so I started slowly but I am now maxing above what I did 2 years ago when I was lifting regularly. That is after 6 weeks of paleo. I am definitely feeling strong. I am going to train MT on Wed for the first time in nearly a month so I'll be curious to see how my cardio and conditioning is after time off and time for my body to adjust to my new diet.

Lunch- .75 lbs pork ribs and spinach
Dinner- 2 chicken thighs and zucchini in coconut milk
Snacks- 2 sweet potatoes, beef jerky

Training- none, rested and watched my Pats destroy the Chiefs on monday night football

Lunch- 2 chicken thighs in coconut milk
Dinner- Mahi mah, kale, artichokes
Snack- beef jerky, pork rinds

Training- weights. shoulders, traps, delts, abs

Yesterday:

Breakfast-2 chicken sausages (need to go to costco and buy some more)
Lunch- about 1lb of stir fried shaved lamb and some baby bok choy
Dinner- mahi mahi and kale
Snacks- pork rind, freeze dried strawberries

Training- Muay Thai.

I'll update tonight with the results of my Thanksgiving feasting

Due to family peer pressure and not wanting to be rude by turning down everything that was cooked for Thanksgiving other than the turkey, I did consume some gluten, dairy and legumes for the first time in the last 1 1/2 months.

Lunch- turkey, gravy made with flour and some stuffing as a thickener, small ammount of stuffing, sweet potatoes, asparagus, mashed potatoes (with milk and butter), green bean casserole (with cream of mushroom soup, cheese and those gluten covered fried onions)
Dinner- tub of shredded bbq beef from grocery store. Gluten free but containing soy, lots of preservatives and sugary bbq sauce.

I felt a little nauseous about 10 mins after starting to eat but it passed quickly. I also felt a little bit of an allergy attack. I have never been diagnosed with Celiac but I am suspicious that I have a gluten intolerance (and that everyone does by nature). Either way, I do think my body has adjusted to running smoothly without gluten or dairy and I definitely irritated by a small amount. Back to normal tomorrow.

Breakfast- 8 oz breakfast sausage, 3 omega enhanced eggs
Lunch- can of smoked herring
Dinner- 1lb ground pork, zuchini
Snack- pork rinds, 2 avocados. cucumber

Training- weights back and bicep

Breakfast- ham and eggs
Lunch- In N Out: 3x0 protein style, fries
Dinner-2 hot link sausages
Snacks- pork rind, salami, 2 square 86% dark chocolate

Training: weights legs and abs

Breakfast- 4 slices bacon, 3 eggs
Lunch- 1 1/2 lbs chicken wings
Dinner- 1 lb london broil, bak choy
Snacks- few squares of dark chocolate

Training- bike, weights chest,tricep

I just hit the 6 week paleo mark. I weighed in at 180 this morning and was 188 when I started. Been lifting 6-7 days per week in short intensive max effort strength training work outs and very little cardio. Before the starting paleo I hadn't lifted weights in 2 years and have been only training Muay Thai and doing some running and cycling for my exercise and I still had a bit of a gut. I've been stuck at 180 for a month now but I look leaner and I feel strong. I am going to start adding back some MT and maybe adding some BJJ and training 2-3 days per week and lifting the other days.

Yesterday:

Breakfast- cup of coffee with coconut milk
Lunch- london broil, spinach
Dinner- chicken and broccoli with coconut milk

Training- none

Breakfast- 4 slices of bacon, coffee with coconut milk
Lunch- chicken, broccoli coconut milk
Dinner- ground turkey, zucchini, couple of sweet potatoes

Training- weights shoulders

Back