Training Muay Thai in Phuket

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Anklepicker67, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Anklepicker67 White Belt

Anklepicker67
    Hello,

I’m going out to Thailand the beginning of January to start 2-3 months of Muay Thai training.
    I have done a lot of research and plan on starting off in Phuket to train at Sinbi Muay Thai.
    However... Many people say that Phuket is not a nice place - as I want to be able to visit the beach regularly and relax aswell.
    Would I be better going to koh phangan to experience this kind of lifestyle? As I have heard that Phuket has became a tourist trap.
    Diamond Muay Thai is an option in Koh Phangan at the moment.
    Cheers,
    Luke

AusTosh likes this.
  2. krugansjj KRUGAN

krugansjj
    Phuket does not have many tourist attractions this is true.
    More Phuket not as dangerous as in other area of Thailand. Hey I'll give you a hint the best gym in Phuket is the Sitsongpeenong Phuket Muaythai

DaGenius likes this.
  3. AusTosh White Belt

AusTosh
    Hey mate I'm leaving in exactly 2 weeks too. Originally I thought Phuket because of the beach and all but then I thought to myself there's beaches in Australia anyways..... I'm going to Thailand to train... so yeah I'll be going with a matie to this gym in the outskirts of Bangkok instead. I heard from him and a few good maties that go to Thailand (training) regularly that if you want the party life or touristy life whilst training Phuket will be more ideal.

Anklepicker67 likes this.
  4. DaGenius Silver Belt

DaGenius
    SItsongpeenong phuket is the highest quality gym there.

If you’re further south there is Naka Muay Thai which is a great place for people who want English instruction.

5. Hatake88 White Belt

Hatake88
    A really good gym in Koh Phangan is Namsaknoi MT. I would have recommended it (and went there myself) as Namsaknoi was one of the longest reigning champions in Thailand. However, I heard Namsaknoi has since left.

I've heard mixed reviews about Sitsongpeenong Phuket. I know the Bangkok location is legit and had several very notable fighters but I heard the Phuket location was more of a tourist trap.

Anklepicker67 likes this.
  6. ironkhan57 Blue Belt

ironkhan57
    I heard that its kind of good to go to thailand during the winter, but you don't get as much attention from the instructors because of high season, i was planning on going in jan too, but i got my friends birthday and her sons birthday, and my birthday coming up between jan and mid april so i was going to go during the spring, so may or june, would i get some one on one attention from the gyms from may-august? I've been planning this trip for nearly 2 years and money issues have become a problem yet again this year.

7. Anklepicker67 White Belt

Anklepicker67
    Yeah I had heard of Namsaknoi and read some great reviews although I have also read that he has left and for this reason it is no longer worth going to the gym.

Im landing in Phuket so thought its only right to check the place out although from what I am hearing it is a BIG tourist trap