Training Muay Thai and Boxing at the same time?

TheLegend27

Keyboard Warrior
Banned
Reaction score
I train at a well respected MMA gym that offers both Muay Thai and Boxing classes.

I have been taking the boxing classes exclusively for stand up for a month. What I am wondering is if it is a good or bad idea to train Muay Thai as well at the same time? I understand Muay Thai and Boxing have different stances so am I going to get things confused? Is it better just to have on striking discipline base?

I want to learn kicks somehow for MMA and not sure how else to do this? Should I train both? Should I get more boxing experience first? Thoughts?

Muay Thai + Boxing = Kickboxing (plus minus knee strikes?)

Why do you need to make so complicated?

Muay Thai + Boxing = Kickboxing (plus minus knee strikes?)

Why do you need to make so complicated?

Just no ....

No it does not, Muay Thai is a lot more than kickboxing.

Muay Thai + Boxing = very effective stand up.

Just no ....

No it does not, Muay Thai is a lot more than kickboxing.

Muay Thai + Boxing = very effective stand up.
so it doesn't hurt to train both even though they teach different stances? how will I know what stance to use for MMA?

Top fighters are switching stances all the time during the fight, which is part of what people call head movements

Go ahead and do both. Changing stances may be difficult at first, but I recommend starting both as soon as possible so one doesn't get too ingrained into your head. I instruct at an MMA gym that offers both and my biggest struggle with new students is with the ones that do boxing for 2 months first exclusively because they think it'll be easier. They have a hard time not reverting to the more bladed boxing stance that the coach teaches.

I train at a well respected MMA gym that offers both Muay Thai and Boxing classes.

I have been taking the boxing classes exclusively for stand up for a month. What I am wondering is if it is a good or bad idea to train Muay Thai as well at the same time? I understand Muay Thai and Boxing have different stances so am I going to get things confused? Is it better just to have on striking discipline base?

I want to learn kicks somehow for MMA and not sure how else to do this? Should I train both? Should I get more boxing experience first? Thoughts?

So I don't think this is actually a stupid question at all. The way a boxing coach will want you to stand, punch, guard, etc. will be very different than what you'll get from your Kru, if you're just starting out it could be a bit confusing. Ultimately it's totally fine to do both because you can pick and choose what elements from each style you like best and work your game accordingly, but early on it might be better to focus on just one, especially if you have enough classes at your gym in either style to fill out your weekly calendar. If your focus is MMA, I'd probably start with Muay Thai just so you get used to being kicked (even though I think ultimately a more hands heavy striking game is generally better for MMA).

Ultimately though it's about what you want to learn. If you find yourself gravitating towards MMA fighters with more expertise in either discipline, just do that one. If you pick boxing you'll have to learn to deal with kicks, but that's far from impossible. If you start with Muay Thai you'll probably end up doing many things differently in MMA standup anyway, I don't know of too many guys with really pure MT standup in MMA. Just do what you like, and if that's both at once you'll figure it out eventually.

so it doesn't hurt to train both even though they teach different stances? how will I know what stance to use for MMA?

Your MMA stance will probably be different than either your boxing or MT stance. Mine is. Boxing is too side on for MMA, and MT is generally a little too high and back weighted to defend takedowns effectively. You see most boxers square up their stances somewhat in MMA, and most MT guys end up widening theirs slightly and having their weight a little more forward (though neither of those are universal by any means). I think most people figure out their MMA stances organically either by getting leg kicked a lot and having to square up, or getting taken down a lot and having to widen their base and bring their head and weight slightly forward. It'll come with time.

Your training stand up for MMA, both the Boxing and Muay Thai should be adapted to it, it's not going to hurt to have both sets of tools.

Even if you want to be primarily a boxer it helps to be able to defend against Muay Thai and throw in the elbows when in a boxing exchange.

Muay thai is very different than western boxing, but training the two contrasting styles and playing around with the transitions is whats so fun about mma and developing your own striking preference. Personally, I like to look back on Samart's ( world boxing champion and golden era muay thai champion) footage when mixing elements, and start just masking the stance switches off the jab and teep (foot jab).

Theres no one way to approach striking for mma, you see boxing centric and thai centric stances all the time. Its a spectrum, so train everything, and see what style you gravitate towards.

I think its fine, but you should pick one as your preferred base first rather than trying to chase after two rabbits at once. Recently, I've been seeing alot of success with MT gyms incorporating boxing into their programs, but their fighters already had a MT base prior.

As others said stance might be an issue? I really don't know though, I've seen some stand semi-bladed, and others stand like a MMA stance (front-leg heavy, 80:20 ratio front to back leg).

From my exp. competing and watching others compete in here and the US, I can say that at the earlier levels of competing, boxing doesn't really shine (esp. if there is a lack of focus on core MT material in favor of boxing), but as the fighters become more intermediate and reach into A-class or open class, it really kicks off.

I think its fine, but you should pick one as your preferred base first rather than trying to chase after two rabbits at once. Recently, I've been seeing alot of success with MT gyms incorporating boxing into their programs, but their fighters already had a MT base prior.

As others said stance might be an issue? I really don't know though, I've seen some stand semi-bladed, and others stand like a MMA stance (front-leg heavy, 80:20 ratio front to back leg).

From my exp. competing and watching others compete in here and the US, I can say that at the earlier levels of competing, boxing doesn't really shine (esp. if there is a lack of focus on core MT material in favor of boxing), but as the fighters become more intermediate and reach into A-class or open class, it really kicks off.
What about taking on MT with a boxing base prior?

Its all good dude, as long as you have an open and mindful eye to the differences and similarities, it'll benefit you.

I train both, to not mess up my stance, I train boxing in a MT stance. Boxing is to supplement my MT.

Boxing and tkd is more natural flow in terms of blending.

I'd say just stick to one whether muay thai or boxing first and then cross train later. Blending as a new guy is not a good idea.

What about taking on MT with a boxing base prior?
Depends really, only you'll know once you get there. Some can do well, others not so much.

The main issue with the green fighters in MT that are too heavy with boxing is the lack of clinch fighting. Its the place where they get messed up when thats not there. To be honest I blame the camp more than the fighter for that scenario, the coach let his fighter compete unprepared putting too much faith his guy/gal will be KO artists.

Back