Training modifications for a “fight 2 win pro”

I could do weights and walking through the woods. Is that what you suggest? I was thinking squat, pull, press twice a week for the next two weeks. 4 light sessions.. 3 sets of ten
What do you think?
Did I read this right. You dont think weights will make a difference, but you are adding walking through the woods meditating?

Only a month left. I don’t want to hurt my back. I would have to be careful.
Yeah you don’t have to go crazy. Even if its just 2 exercises 3-4 sets right after training. 2-3 days a week will make a huge difference.
You don’t have to lift like a power lifter or bodybuilder to get results

I could do weights and walking through the woods. Is that what you suggest? I was thinking squat, pull, press twice a week for the next two weeks. 4 light sessions.. 3 sets of ten
What do you think?
That sounds good

Maybe you mentioned it and I missed it, but is this gi or no? That changes things a lot.

My experiences in F2W Pro were both good, Seth runs a solid show, everything is clear in terms of where you need to be and when, and if you win you'll literally get your check coming off the mat. I didn't notice the lights or the crowd either time I competed, it's just a BJJ match.The biggest thing is to not stop moving, since submission attempts sway the judges if there's no finish. You have to attack all the time, or at least more than your opponent.

Another good funny song would be School's Out by Alice Cooper.

Maybe you mentioned it and I missed it, but is this gi or no? That changes things a lot.

My experiences in F2W Pro were both good, Seth runs a solid show, everything is clear in terms of where you need to be and when, and if you win you'll literally get your check coming off the mat. I didn't notice the lights or the crowd either time I competed, it's just a BJJ match.The biggest thing is to not stop moving, since submission attempts sway the judges if there's no finish. You have to attack all the time, or at least more than your opponent.

Another good funny song would be School's Out by Alice Cooper.

It’s a gi match. Thank you!

More than the specific exercises you'll be doing, I'd check into modulating the intensity of your workouts. 3 intense high volume weeks followed by a last week of reduced training volume (like... 2 sessions max) at high intensity should allow you to peak right for the weekend of the show.

I've done 2 f2w matches so far as a black belt with 1 win by sub and 1 win by dec. Increase your rounds to 8 minutes but I wouldn't go longer as you want your internal clock timed up to 8 minutes. Other than that it's not really much different than an ibjjf match. The slams never really come into play. The rule I liked was you could use the honey hole position and Texas clover leaf style attacks in the gi. It's only one match so don't waste too much time on extra cardio outside of rolling 8 minute rounds.
I usually use the Pixies "Where is my mind" as a walkout song for super fights. Thought about Queen "Under Pressure" but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Ask you coach if you can do a "mock match" one or a few times in your class.

Everyone in class can gather in a circle, you and your "mock opponent" can walk out with music playing, someone can flicker the lights off and on as you're walking out, then you guys can get an 8 minute roll with everyone circled up watching.

Assign a "coach" to you and your opponent while everyone else will provide cheers/jeers.

Sounds kind of stupid but we used to do this sometimes before fights and it helps get you in the right mindset.

I think adding sprints is a great idea. I’d also suggest 10 minute rounds at the gym since your match will be 8 minutes. Try to get 5-6 in.

I do Master I and Master II IBJJF events, and decided to do a similar type event awhile back. The rounds where 5, 8, and then 10 with EBI rules.

I prepared by doing a 5:58 mile for three miles twice a week (worked my way up to that), and I would do 10 minute rounds at the gym (usually 5-6 rounds). I felt great my first match, while my opponent seemed very tired (and I was much, much older).

9-10 years ago I asked a similar question on here, and you told me to buy 8 Weeks Out :) (and I did).

Sounds kind of stupid but we used to do this sometimes before fights and it helps get you in the right mindset.

Isn't that a big waste of time of people watching instead of training?

More than the specific exercises you'll be doing, I'd check into modulating the intensity of your workouts. 3 intense high volume weeks followed by a last week of reduced training volume (like... 2 sessions max) at high intensity should allow you to peak right for the weekend of the show.

That’s what I was thinking as well. That’s the current plan.

I've done 2 f2w matches so far as a black belt with 1 win by sub and 1 win by dec. Increase your rounds to 8 minutes but I wouldn't go longer as you want your internal clock timed up to 8 minutes. Other than that it's not really much different than an ibjjf match. The slams never really come into play. The rule I liked was you could use the honey hole position and Texas clover leaf style attacks in the gi. It's only one match so don't waste too much time on extra cardio outside of rolling 8 minute rounds.
I usually use the Pixies "Where is my mind" as a walkout song for super fights. Thought about Queen "Under Pressure" but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I’ve heard it’s a good idea to increase round times a little longer than the match itself. I’ve been doing 8’s. That’s what my coach wants to do. I know there are many good reasons for each strategy.

Ask you coach if you can do a "mock match" one or a few times in your class.

Everyone in class can gather in a circle, you and your "mock opponent" can walk out with music playing, someone can flicker the lights off and on as you're walking out, then you guys can get an 8 minute roll with everyone circled up watching.

Assign a "coach" to you and your opponent while everyone else will provide cheers/jeers.

We used to do that years ago when we had a big team getting ready for a tournament. That would be fun to bring it back.

I think adding sprints is a great idea. I’d also suggest 10 minute rounds at the gym since your match will be 8 minutes. Try to get 5-6 in.

I do Master I and Master II IBJJF events, and decided to do a similar type event awhile back. The rounds where 5, 8, and then 10 with EBI rules.

I prepared by doing a 5:58 mile for three miles twice a week (worked my way up to that), and I would do 10 minute rounds at the gym (usually 5-6 rounds). I felt great my first match, while my opponent seemed very tired (and I was much, much older).

9-10 years ago I asked a similar question on here, and you told me to buy 8 Weeks Out :) (and I did).

5-6 10 minute rounds. That’s some serious work!

8 weeks out ! The life changing book!
I would die for you too, bro!

It's not something you do every class, maybe a week or two before the competition, do it once or twice.

Like I said it sounds silly, but it really does get everyone pumped up, and helps you simulate the competition environment.

This is actually touches upon a very crucial question to ask with regards fight preparation; how invested are other people in the gym in accommodating someone's success?

Are you simply another customer doing the same general training as everyone else? Do you have dedicated training partners willing to elide whatever else they might have been doing in order to focus their drilling, techniques, and counter-attacks to more specifically target (and thus refine) your gameplan? Is your coach willing to structure the whole gym around providing you with different training partners with different specializations to push aspects of your game higher, to do more things you need to do and work on things you need to work on?

Most people's experience is a range of answers to a range of degrees on this question, and it can change depending on context too (like for instance, someone in your gym getting ready for a big competition). It's not a trivial question either though obviously, the obvious reason basically coming down to a simple statement: "why can't it be ME who the gym focuses on?"

A lot of possible issues tangled up with the topic; what degree of various person's desire to be more validated then they might be currently, how capable you are at telling and picking out who might more of a winner to focus on, how charitable/accommodating you might feel in changing to suit other yous training, what people even want to get out of doing the sport the first place, and so on.

So often, the 'stable equilibrium' that gets settled upon from all the burning thymoses rattling around yearning is some form of arrangement where everyone always does the same training as everyone else. This is not necessarily an optimal arrangement with regards to performance; indeed, very often suboptimal even (not simply for any one particular person, but for most people in the gym in fact); but what it does do very well is massage the will-to-power of large groups of people, so that's why it tends to be pervasive.

Last edited:
If I ever do a competition like that (and it's on my bucket list) - the clear answer is seek and destroy by Metallica. Or Battery.

Have fun!

I did one of these, I'd recommend an 1/8oz of psilocybin mushrooms immediately

Good luck Bill. I've gone to one of these FTW pros before. Very well run. I'm going this weekend to the one in Denver.

Just have fun man. I don't think that, once you get going, you'll care much about the crowd.

I want to do one of these one day, because walk out music is a big dream of mine.

So often, the 'stable equilibrium' that gets settled upon from all the burning thymoses rattling around yearning is some form of arrangement where everyone always does the same training as everyone else.

Neat, it's like a real life prisoner's dilemma!

This is actually touches upon a very crucial question to ask with regards fight preparation; how invested are other people in the gym in accommodating someone's success?

Are you simply another customer doing the same general training as everyone else? Do you have dedicated training partners willing to elide whatever else they might have been doing in order to focus their drilling, techniques, and counter-attacks to more specifically target (and thus refine) your gameplan? Is your coach willing to structure the whole gym around providing you with different training partners with different specializations to push aspects of your game higher, to do more things you need to do and work on things you need to work on?

Most people's experience is a range of answers to a range of degrees on this question, and it can change depending on context too (like for instance, someone in your gym getting ready for a big competition). It's not a trivial question either though obviously, the obvious reason basically coming down to a simple statement: "why can't it be ME who the gym focuses on?"

A lot of possible issues tangled up with the topic; what degree of various person's desire to be more validated then they might be currently, how capable you are at telling and picking out who might more of a winner to focus on, how charitable/accommodating you might feel in changing to suit other yous training, what people even want to get out of doing the sport the first place, and so on.

So often, the 'stable equilibrium' that gets settled upon from all the burning thymoses rattling around yearning is some form of arrangement where everyone always does the same training as everyone else. This is not necessarily an optimal arrangement with regards to performance; indeed, very often suboptimal even (not simply for any one particular person, but for most people in the gym in fact); but what it does do well is massage the will-to-power of large groups of people, so that's why it tends to be pervasive.

As a black belt and a senior competitor on the team, I do get some privileges. I have a key to the academy and I have teammates who are happy to help me with my specific game plan. I stay in the regular class and help all belt levels as much as I can. It’s a give and take. I offer help and receive help. I love my team and how we work together. 22 years on the same team. Lots of earned respect on many levels.

Back