Training modifications for a “fight 2 win pro”

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So, I just accepted an offer to compete at a “fight to win pro” in Richmond, California on Saturday, November 17. Here are my questions... (one month away)

1. Should I modify my training at all?

I normally compete in master ibjjf tournaments. I usually get three to four 5 minute matches. This will be a submission only one round 8 minute match with slams. I know my mindset has to change a little. Going for submissions all the time changes the energy system needed for success. I can’t stall in mount or hold him in guard. If there is no submission, the judges look to see who went for more submissions.
My plan is to add interval training with Hill sprints and swimming sprints.

2. How would you deal with the added pressure of spotlights, loud music and announcers, and my non jiu Jitsu friends partying at my VIP table?

I realize that in the grand scheme of things this isn’t a world changing event. I won’t be quitting my day job as a kindergarten teacher. I just know that my emotions will be running high. My plan is to add additional hiking, yoga, and meditation. I don’t want to have an adrenaline dump at the three minute mark.

3. Would you add any weight training with only one month?

I haven’t lifted weights in about 5 months. I don’t think my body will make any significant progress that would be helpful in this match. I know who my opponent is and I already have a strength advantage.

4. Most importantly, what should be my walkout song?

You got another thing coming- Judas Priest
Sabotage- beasty boys
For those about to rock-AC/DC
Sandman - Metallica

Possible joke songs

Hot for teacher - Van Halen
We’re going to be friends- jack johnson

TLDR
I’m competing in a fight to win comp. my plan is to increase cardio and train specifically for a sub only match. I’ll be walking in the woods and meditating. I need a walk out song. Any tips?

Last edited:
Just roll with 8 minute rounds more and do some intelligence work in your opponent.

Walkout music:

Homer walked out to "Why can't we be friends" vs Drederick Tatum. That was funny.

Do 10-12 minute rounds in training since the intensity of the actual match will always be higher and the output will be about the same. We train 8 minutes for the ibjjf 5 minute master's matches.

Either joke song would be great. Good luck, Bill!

I added Tabata burpees after every training session to get ready for my F2W match. I started about 5 weeks out.

Felt great during the match. My cardio and mindset were on point, but I hadn't been competing and my timing was off.

I came out to Timebomb by Rancid. That vibe helped a lot in dealing with a the hype. I did a lot of meditating and visualization as well. I have never felt better going into a match.

Can't wait to hear how you do.

Bill, how old is your opponent and who is it?

Since you're old school, this will be perfect walk out song for you. Can't Touch This - by MC Hammer

Here's another good choice. Some James Brown old school soul !!!

Just roll with 8 minute rounds more and do some intelligence work in your opponent.
Really this. And drill a lot to counter his best moves.

Also: Terminator theme for walkout. Wear sunglasses with a red dot of paint on one eye.

Also a big fan of You Say Run. Has a little of a slow opening though.

Bill, how old is your opponent and who is it?

Since you're old school, this will be perfect walk out song for you. Can't Touch This - by MC Hammer

Sergio Silva. He’s 42 I think. He’s 10 years younger and I’m ten pounds heavier. I hear that he is a great guy. This should be fun!
Thanks for the tips everybody! I’ll keep you updated!

Did I read this right. You dont think weights will make a difference, but you are adding walking through the woods meditating?

Weight training almost always helps grappling. Especially if you are 5 months untrained

Sergio Silva. He’s 42 I think. He’s 10 years younger and I’m ten pounds heavier. I hear that he is a great guy. This should be fun!
Thanks for the tips everybody! I’ll keep you updated!
Careful of him trying to play cheap. Last time he competed in Fight To Win, he tried to push his opponent off the stage towards the end of the match. He won by a very controversial decision and he acted like he won the lottery, pounding his chest and acting like a fool.

Plenty of people in the Bay Area know Sergio Silva is a shady businessman. So you definitely heard wrong when you said you heard he's a great guy. LOL! Please spank him and tap his ass out. Go Bill !!!

Bill, actually I think this is also good for your walkout song. Lose Yourself - by Eminem.

Back