Training From the Slums of Shaolin

ShaolinStyle

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Starting a new log as I've been off the forums for about a year. Had a Tactical Barbell log last time that was going well, but I ended up having to have part of the labrum in my hip removed in April (it was torn to reattach). After some PT I'm feeling pretty good and have been slowly getting back into shape.

I always have trouble with what my training goals are- get back into Muay thai, do triathlons, etc..so I decided I'm just going to start from the ground up since I kind of let myself go with the injury. To do that I'm going to do the TB base building and then probably the green template with fighter. I started last week with:

9/26 SE 3x20 w/ 80lb barbell benchpress, front squat, bb rows, push press, and RDLs.

9/27 E 4.5 ruck/slow jog with the dogs through the woods. 40lbs in the pack. Pace was about 3mph finish in a little under 1.5 hours. Love backpacking and trying to get into mountaineering this winter, so I'll probably do 1 of these a week.

9/28 tried out triples. 10 min jump rope, 10 min row, 10 min bike ride for 2 circuits. This was nice and easy. HR was between 120-150.

9/29 SE 2 x 20. Pushups, pullups(only did sets of 10 because I suck at pullups sadly), squats, back extension, dips, leg raises.

9/30 Recovery day light stretching.

10/1 8 Mile run with 20pushups/20 squats every mile for 160 total. Average pace was 9:23/mi and finished in 1hour 15 min.

Pretty sore after yesterdays workout. Good thing today is rest day so I can rest up before work. At work now 7pm-7am, night shift if killing me.

Last edited:
Week 2, SE Workout

3 sets, 30 reps.

kettlebell swings 20kg
DB bench press 40lbs
Goblet squat 20kg
DB rows 40lbs

Legs still sore after Saturdays long run and squats. Endurance day tomorrow.

I'm starting week 2 over as I didn't get a lot of work done after that first workout last week. Had the 10 Mile Tough Mudder on Saturday- it was awesome! So much fun running through the mud and helping lift and pull people through the obstacles. Was super sore from all that until today.

Today's Workout:

3 sets, 30 reps or 15 per arm.

Kettle Bell Swings 20kg
DB Push Press 40lbs (15 each arm)
DB Bench Press 50 lbs (15 each arm)
Goblet Squat 20kg
DB Rows 50 lbs (15 each arm)

Another Endurance day yesterday. Was going to go for 6 miles but my body was pretty tight- still feeling the tough mudder. Need to do some more stretching/yoga.

Did 3 miles in 24 minutes. Going to work on getting that down to sub 20 over the next couple months.

Today went to the gym but was feeling like crap (night shift has my body thrown off) so I just worked on my Deadlift and Pistol Squats.

Worked the Deadlift up to 295. Felt good doing it but my back always hurts after which sucks. Might invest in a weight belt since I'm injury prone. Feel like my form is solid (shrug).

Pistol Squats- not able to do these from the floor yet, but working down to different box heights. Currently at 12 inch box and was able to do 3 sets of 5 with my left leg which is a first! Making progess.

Back