Training for first Amateur super heavyweight mma fight

patferrari

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
im training for my first super heavy ammy mma fight and im not too worried around my standup/wrestling/bjj as much as i am with my cardio

im confident enough that if my cardio is well enough to go 3 rounds 3 minutes i will win, i have about 4 weeks till fight day and as for cardio i am doing the following

Treadmill Full Speed Sprints 20 seconds/jog 50% 40 seconds *8 Sets

Stationary Bike 10 Resistance 30 seconds full speed 100%//30 seconds half speed

and Elliptical 10 Resistance Full Speed 45% seconds full force //60 seconds half force

and after i finish those, i head to the corner of the gym and try to get one round of shaddow sparring in.

as per this, do you think this will help my cardio or should i be doing something else HIIT..

lastly i am already in a strict calorie intake diet//Keto.

thanks for all the help in advance and cheers!

Speaking from experience, you are going to have a massive adrenaline dump at some point which will really impact your cardio. I was in the best shape of my life for my first fight and almost quit on my stool in between rounds due to fatigue.

Be prepared mentally for that.

Speaking from experience, you are going to have a massive adrenaline dump at some point which will really impact your cardio. I was in the best shape of my life for my first fight and almost quit on my stool in between rounds due to fatigue.

Be prepared mentally for that.

i am expecting that, but being able to control it, i been walking out with my training partners for 5+ years and the adrenaline dump just from walking out with them gets me hyped. i mediate alot so hopefully that will help me staying calm etc, again thank you!

If I were in your position, I wouldn't do any of those machines for your cardio. You are much better doing something on the ground as it will force you to bear more of your weight and tax your cardio vascular system. Grass can be very forgiving if you are trying to save your joints. You can sprint on a flat field or up a hill.

How big are you? Is jumping rope an option? Intervals like sprints combined with pushups and v-up situps would be good to mix.

Example: sprint 100 meters; 20 pushups; sprint 100 meters; 20 V-ups, etc..

Those numbers you listed for your training don't mean anything. What needs to be trained is your heart rate. Age predicted maximum heart rate (MHR) formula is 205- (age/2) for "fit" individuals. You are right when you say you do not want to gas. To measure how fit you are, you should take your heart rate at various times to see where you are at and if you are improving.

Resting heart rate. Maybe when you first wake up.

Heart rate after each round/workout

Post training heart rate.

Keep a record of that every day and see if things are improving, stagnant or getting worse.

Working on your breathing will be very beneficial too. Can you get your heart rate down between rounds?

i like the bas rutten audio workouts with added exercises between rounds like burpees or sandbag exercises.
he also has a tape with an "all around workout" which is pretty intense, e.g. jump squats, jump lunges, mountain climbers etc.

i don't do ma but maybe you wanna look into it.

good luck

I don't really believe in the adrenalin dump thing, at least it never happened to me.

What I found the issue to be was breathing. I think people assume it's the adrenaline because they're entirely unaware that they're hardly breathing during the rounds.

With the mantra of BREATHE, I took a breathe every moment I could and it all worked out good.

At this stage there is little time to build up your aerobic efficiency so doing what you are doing with intervals might make more sense as it's just as much being able to push through the fatigue. Just make sure you recover from the workouts. As others have said, mindset, breathing and being prepared will make a big difference when you step in there.

After the fight, you might want to introduce more steady state cardio to build up your cardiovascular system over time. It'll help you with recovering between rounds as well as your overall fitness.

Oh and btw, as a big guy, you might want to start out non-weightbearing and slowly work your way into building a tolerance to prolonged or high intensity weightbearing exercises. Meaning you can use the bike, rower, elliptical and such initially and then dip into the weightbearing exercises. Skipping will probably be easier to tolerate for your joints than running to being with. And also walking uphill might be a good place to start.

Last edited:
Stupid question, but i'm assuming you're asking your coach these questions? What are his answers? Your coach should be able to give you a plan for all of this and tell you what he feels is best for where you're at.

Not a MMA fighter, however, before even my first fight I was having round robins for 5 rounds sparring, new person every 30s for a 3 min round and grappling for the 1 min rest. This was the last 20 minutes of a 2 hr hard session, 3-4 times a week.

If you have energy to do anything outside of your sport based conditioning, I question your gym.

If you have energy to do anything outside of your sport based conditioning, I question your gym.
That's a silly thing to say. I was spending 3-4 hours a day hitting mitts, drilling, working positions, etc. but I was still getting a run, sprint session, or plyo session in 2-3 x a week. Sometimes even four. That's a normal workload for a fight camp.

That's a silly thing to say. I was spending 3-4 hours a day hitting mitts, drilling, working positions, etc. but I was still getting a run, sprint session, or plyo session in 2-3 x a week. Sometimes even four. That's a normal workload for a fight camp.
agreed..

we drill/hit pats/ condition and still leave with enough energy to willingly want to go to the gym to get more work done.

some sparring

I don't really believe in the adrenalin dump thing, at least it never happened to me.

What I found the issue to be was breathing. I think people assume it's the adrenaline because they're entirely unaware that they're hardly breathing during the rounds.

With the mantra of BREATHE, I took a breathe every moment I could and it all worked out good.

This, I used to run around holding my breath during football and basketball games anticipating contact. I would always be exhausted very early during games regardless of my conditioning. It took me years to figure it out.

This, I used to run around holding my breath during football and basketball games anticipating contact. I would always be exhausted very early during games regardless of my conditioning. It took me years to figure it out.

I expect it's the root of all the eastern martial arts focus on breathing. It's for power. The mistake people make is thinking that power is instantaneous and not power over minutes of max effort.

little update, my cardio is feeling better and better already after starting these HITT workouts i have been doing, will keep at it till i can.

As stated, physically going outside running will never be beaten. A steady 20min jog outside beats the treadmill in my opinion.

Back