Training for a knockout

King Ghidorah

Los Angeles Drip God
@Brown
Reaction score
So post Kovalev vs Ward, Virgil Hunter stated that he usually trains Ward to outbox his opponent, but the training for the Kov fight was for the knockout. He also said the only other time he did this was prior to the Dawson fight, which did end via stoppage. Then last night, Omar Figureoa mentioned that he and his team trained for the knockout. My question is, can you really train for a knockout? and how does that training differ from your standard boxing training?

surprised their have been no responses. my guess would be put more emphasis on power and aggression and less work on defense.

A knockout comes from technique of your punch and the motion of your body mechanism. i.e GGG trains his core a lot to increase the power when he twists across it in the punch. I'd guess that they just did a lot of core work and technique work. Some guys are just born with the right muscles for KO's in that explosive snap power, others aren't I guess it just comes down to how they defined training for a knockout.

I've never heard of training for a knockout. Seems counter to all the boxing wisdom I am familiar with, but I'm not plugged in to the state of the art training.

Back