Training but not fighting

Ok to answer your question, if you want to train to compete and not compete, then you have to spar hard, and practice, even when your not at the mma gym practice, shadowbox try practicing the mechanics of shooting for a takedown.

After stop drinking I start training March 2016 boxing kickboxing now past year concentrated only on boxing. My cousin training boxing 10 years now and we training together 4 months every second day then November he go to Germany and I continue alone. Don't stop training pretty soon we will be too old to do what we doing now soo give everything you got knowing that

Everytime I waste not training I feel like I'm running out of time too, I was told 2x that I was going to get a fight then the first time the instructor left, the 2nd I had money problems and couldn't make it to my gym in NYC, so both fights never happened, then this year I signed up for an amatuer boxing fight then I had to withdraw 2x for 2 different boxing fights because my training partners got too busy. It feels like this year is going by too fast so yeah you got to do everything now or in the near future before you don't have time anymore. I hope to join the military or be a cop by the end of next year and to have at least 2 amatuer mma fights, one grappling tournament and 1 amatuer boxing and muay thai fight.

I only know of one hobbyist who has probably been training for 10 years not have a fight. He’s around 50 and loves to go relatively hard, sparring days once a week is probably the thing he looks forward to more than the weekend.

People are giving you shit because unless they are garbage fighters with losing record chances are you aren’t better than them. I understand the first year thing and that’s totally possible to be better than them, but each time you fight you get fighting experience. Which is worth about 100 days in the gym imo.

Every fight you learn what it’s like to fight, pace yourself, mistakes you may have made etc.
You can be a 10 year hobbyist, get into the ring, and quickly learn you aren’t quite as good at ‘fighting’ as you think you are. You are just ok at sparring in a comfortable environment

I only know of one hobbyist who has probably been training for 10 years not have a fight. He’s around 50 and loves to go relatively hard, sparring days once a week is probably the thing he looks forward to more than the weekend.

People are giving you shit because unless they are garbage fighters with losing record chances are you aren’t better than them. I understand the first year thing and that’s totally possible to be better than them, but each time you fight you get fighting experience. Which is worth about 100 days in the gym imo.

It's not just that it's because he said he only spars once a week, I have a friend that's only done karate for 1 year and just got into kickboxing a year ago and kicks everybody's ass in the gym no matter who it is, the only person he doesn't beat up is one heavyweight who comes to spar with us (back when I was training over their) and he straight up flips him when he kicks him. But he spars at least 2-4x a week.

Where I train they only spar to the body. No head. I always wonder if you don't miss a lot of skill with that, because you miss 1,2,3,4,5,6 in combinations. Only do 7,8,9,10

Why would you pat anyone on the back who has 3x the experience being able to beat the other less experienced person ?

If you cant do better than someone that has 3 times less experience than you then you best go do something else

Bizarre how some of you people think

Your thread has no other point aside from asking if anyone else who spars once a week is better than competing athletes at their gym. You could have asked if there are any other hobbyists who only train for some other gratification than competition, which is perfectly valid. But you made a specific point to assert your perceived level of prowess in comparison to fighters, with basically a bare minimum of live sparring and no actual combat experience.

Yet you question how anyone who feels you're just stroking your ego thinks.

I have boxed for fifteen years and never fought in boxing. Funnily enough I put it all over the young fellas I spar with. So I get your point. No need to be so touchy though. Nothing wrong with training just for the sake of it. But what has your performance got to do with it?

I have boxed for fifteen years and never fought in boxing. Funnily enough I put it all over the young fellas I spar with. So I get your point. No need to be so touchy though. Nothing wrong with training just for the sake of it. But what has your performance got to do with it?

The performance is related to the post because the coaches and the others at the gym like to keep asking to fight or asking why I don't etc, it makes things awkward

Your thread has no other point aside from asking if anyone else who spars once a week is better than competing athletes at their gym. You could have asked if there are any other hobbyists who only train for some other gratification than competition, which is perfectly valid. But you made a specific point to assert your perceived level of prowess in comparison to fighters, with basically a bare minimum of live sparring and no actual combat experience.

Yet you question how anyone who feels you're just stroking your ego thinks.

You're dumb

We already know you're dumb because you're sure that canelos team planned to have him get caught with peds so they could change a mutually agreed upon fight date

As I've already explained if someone has done something for 3 plus years how is it a surprise he does it better than someone with less than a third of his experience.

Make your mind up anyway, your first post questions if such a thing can happen and now this one is saying it happens but I'm just trying to brag about it, confused boy

Last edited:

Lol, is it even possible that you best combat athletes in the ring

Sounds off

Sounds like you just want to brag to the forum

How was anything you were saying sarcastic?

He has come out and said the exact same thing that im being criticized for and proving my point, that it is not some amazing feat and something unheard of that people who have done something for longer can beat people who have done it less

So i sarcastically mocked it saying, is it even possible ? Obviously its possible because ive also done it

I sarcastically mocked the phrase "combat athletes" which Sinister is intent on using

Then i also said sarcastically, it sounds like he just wants to brag, which is what other fools have said to me

You should certainly get your sarcasm detector fully serviced and also get an autism test

Sparring and rolling is fun, but fighting or even competition is another animal imo.
Like going from a go cart, to a formula 1 car

He has come out and said the exact same thing that im being criticized for and proving my point, that it is not some amazing feat and something unheard of that people who have done something for longer can beat people who have done it less

So i sarcastically mocked it saying, is it even possible ? Obviously its possible because ive also done it

I sarcastically mocked the phrase "combat athletes" which Sinister is intent on using

Then i also said sarcastically, it sounds like he just wants to brag, which is what other fools have said to me

You should certainly get your sarcasm detector fully serviced and also get an autism test

Dude it's not the fact that you've been training but never fought it's the fact that you spar once a week. Do you at least have friendly fights or get into physical altercations on the streets? You need to spar at least 3x to be able to beat a guy that's been training for 6 years, which you said your better then him at boxing.

Dude it's not the fact that you've been training but never fought it's the fact that you spar once a week. Do you at least have friendly fights or get into physical altercations on the streets? You need to spar at least 3x to be able to beat a guy that's been training for 6 years, which you said your better then him at boxing.

Because i spar once a week currently doesnt mean that is what i have always done

No i dont get into street fights

When i said i can beat this particular individual at my gym who has had 6 fights, i wasnt referring to someone with 6 years training but 6 fights, like i said

Because i spar once a week currently doesnt mean that is what i have always done

No i dont get into street fights

When i said i can beat this particular individual at my gym who has had 6 fights, i wasnt referring to someone with 6 years training but 6 fights, like i said

Oh ok my mistake then. So you just dialed it down after 3 years is what it sounds like. Nothing wrong with that I guess.

You say you can beat the guy with 6 fights, is that from your evaluation of his fights, or him in practice against you?

There is someone who has had 6 fights who i am better than

Why are people focusing on that as if its some kind of brag. If i had 3 years experience playing pool would it be a huge shock that i beat people who have played for less than one year ?

The topic of the subject is training, becoming skilled, skilled enough to compete and do well but never actually competing.......

I've sparred with people who've had 20 plus fights and I've got the better of them in sparring with just 6 fights. People are on different levels. I've also fought a guy who I beat in our first bout and then he annihilated me in the second bout. 2 years later I heard he had beat our gyms best boxer (40 plus fights) and had won a national title. He obviously just had a better aptitude for boxing than me and probably trained harder than me.

Back