Training boxing and kickboxing at the same time

Yourstepdad

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Started boxing about 5 years ago, and apart from the sweet science i also love and follow kickboxing

I'm thinking about training kickboxing as well apart from boxing. I would love to work on kicking/elbow/knee techniques

What are some troubles i can expect being a "boxer"? Is it even a good idea to train 2 disciplines at the same time?

During the occasional muay thai training i've had they already told me my stance was too wide, but that won't be too much of an adaption

İt is depends on you if you dont change your stance
you cant block any kicks :)

You can watch duke roufus instruction videos he is one of the best for kick boxing

Your stance needs to close up a bit.

Also the range is different. in MT you hit kicking range further out, and you have to fight your way in if you want to trade punches. And then once you get into punching range ... You are in kneeing and clinching range.

Another thing is some of the pivots that you use and footwork in boxing won't translate well into muay thai and kickboxing. A friend of mine at the gym likes to use a step left and pivot out to get a better angle for landing the right hand through my guard, and while it works fantastic in boxing... In muay thai I lowkick his leg as soon as he plants and pivots on it.

Depends on how much of a natural you are at boxing and perhaps which style of a boxer you are. There have been boxers told that they will get humiliated as beginners in Muay Thai and turned the tables on them. And then there were some who can't use their boxing to any great effect at all.

Your stance needs to close up a bit.

Also the range is different. in MT you hit kicking range further out, and you have to fight your way in if you want to trade punches. And then once you get into punching range ... You are in kneeing and clinching range.

Another thing is some of the pivots that you use and footwork in boxing won't translate well into muay thai and kickboxing. A friend of mine at the gym likes to use a step left and pivot out to get a better angle for landing the right hand through my guard, and while it works fantastic in boxing... In muay thai I lowkick his leg as soon as he plants and pivots on it.

Duly noted. No pivots

Cannot wait to use that front kick though. Seems useful

1 thing i worry about is head lowering. I won't be able to duck underneath punches too low cuz im sure i could expect a knee to the dome

İt is depends on you if you dont change your stance
you cant block any kicks :)

True that

I expect to lose punching power but of course in mt you can compensate with all the other chops

Duly noted. No pivots

1 thing i worry about is head lowering. I won't be able to duck underneath punches too low cuz im sure i could expect a knee to the dome

That isn't completely true. Just go watch some of the stadium matches commented here in the MT thread.

MT is extremely dynamic and diversified. You will see alot of pivoting, and head lowering in MT as well from a wide array of fighters.

Obviously you cannot do it exactly like in boxing (or you will get destroyed) but the key here is adapting it to the ruleset and knowing when to use it.

Duly noted. No pivots

Yes. Take it easy with the head movement until you get comfortable with kicks.

Why not?

Years ago I took up boxing to complement my kickboxing and it worked out well.. did some amateur bouts as well, which was fun. I learned some stuff that I could use in my kickboxing. So it worked out well. At the time I was a B or A class kickboxer already.. not exactly sure anymore

Why not?

Years ago I took up boxing to complement my kickboxing and it worked out well.. did some amateur bouts as well, which was fun. I learned some stuff that I could use in my kickboxing. So it worked out well. At the time I was a B or A class kickboxer already.. not exactly sure anymore

Were you able to steamroll the kickboxers with punching?

That isn't completely true. Just go watch some of the stadium matches commented here in the MT thread.

MT is extremely dynamic and diversified. You will see alot of pivoting, and head lowering in MT as well from a wide array of fighters.

Obviously you cannot do it exactly like in boxing (or you will get destroyed) but the key here is adapting it to the ruleset and knowing when to use it.

Terrible idea.

These guys are right - there are times and methods to pivot effectively, and may muay thai fighters do use pivots.

Just be careful with bringing over you footwork, especially in kicking range.

Started boxing about 5 years ago, and apart from the sweet science i also love and follow kickboxing

I'm thinking about training kickboxing as well apart from boxing. I would love to work on kicking/elbow/knee techniques

What are some troubles i can expect being a "boxer"? Is it even a good idea to train 2 disciplines at the same time?

During the occasional muay thai training i've had they already told me my stance was too wide, but that won't be too much of an adaption

check my youtube, i have instructionals on muay thai, and a video on stance as well.

I compete in muay thai, and have recently been cross training in boxing as well. Used quite a bit of boxing footwork in my last fight. I think its beneficial. Cross training in any martial art can only help.

Last edited:

Definitely train boxing alongside kickboxing.
I started out with boxing for 2 years, then went on to kickboxing, which then lead to MMA.
When I went into kickboxing I was easily outpunching experienced kickboxers and MT guys.
The only thing I had to change up was the fact I relied far too much on shoulder rolling so I had to drop that (threat of head kicks and leg kicks) and tighten up the stance (again threat of leg kicks).
If you make these slight adjustments, it’s very easy for you to force them into a boxing match which you’ll always come out on top in.
He low kicks, you brace, you explode forward with punches. He throws out a sloppy jab, you cross counter, etc etc.
Boxing is still my base and my main offense. I mix kicks in too as I’m pretty flexible, but my success is always due to good hands.
Definitely keep training in boxing once a week or so.

Duly noted. No pivots

Rather than ducking, I’d suggest sliding out of range then coming back in, just a small adaptation you need to make. Keep the jab going, kickboxers traditionally don’t have a good jab and dive into exchanges.
As for pivoting, I constantly use a left hook pivot out of the corner. Just comes down to knowing when to use it. If he’s an avid low kicker, you’ll avoid it. If he’s more rounded, you can afford to do it a few times.

Keep your head-movement small (like it should be) instead of exaggerated, and it wont be a problem, but will be a great advantage.

Dont just stand there and bob and weave, that's not even correct in boxing, that's stupid.

Have been training in Muay Thai for the last 14 years. Just recently, few months ago started doing boxing as well to 2x per week and gotta say i love it. Sparring sessions are literally like fights when compared to sparring in Muay Thai.

Back