Training at Different Places -Etiquitte

ZaphodNYC

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have started training at two different schools.

The one that is my primary school, where I started about 6 months ago (and right by my work) and one close to my home.

I joined the second school because my teenage son wants to start doing BJJ and wants to do it with me.

I explained the situation to the owner of the local school and he was extremely cool about the situation.

That said, is there anything that I should be aware of so that I don’t breach some etiquette? I don’t wear the Gi from my primary school to the local one (although I do wear my belt), but just want to make sure I’m not doing anything else that would possibly offend.

I think I would try to avoid any "Well we do it this way at so and so school". Besides any school specific patches and such just use common sense.

Find the biggest, toughest guy in the room and kick him square in the groin

It's amazing how many problems can be solved, or avoided by communication.

You told your coach, and the new instructor what was going on. Good.

Don't be an idiot about "they do it this way" blah blah blah.

Have fun at both. Getting to train with your kids is a blessing.

Find the biggest, toughest guy in the room and kick him square in the groin
Hit the instructor with a surprise suplex when he's talking to a student, yell "WHO'S THE BOSS NOW" is my go-to.

I moved cities and recently started training at my new town

I went back to my hometown and my instructor gave me my blue belt

I feel weird showing up with my blue belt, but i know ive been training since 2009 and if anything am a sandbagger at white belt.

Do i just ask my new coach?

I moved cities and recently started training at my new town

I went back to my hometown and my instructor gave me my blue belt

I feel weird showing up with my blue belt, but i know ive been training since 2009 and if anything am a sandbagger at white belt.

Do i just ask my new coach?

Yes. Out of respect for him and his academy, I'd ask the new coach. I'm sure he won't make a big issue about it.

One question, your old instructor couldn't see promoting you before you left? (rhetorical)

Yes. Out of respect for him and his academy, I'd ask the new coach. I'm sure he won't make a big issue about it.

One question, your old instructor couldn't see promoting you before you left? (rhetorical)
I had moved a while ago, only recently had started training again in my new town. So it wasnt like a going away present or anything

I had moved a while ago, only recently had started training again in my new town. So it wasnt like a going away present or anything
Or- again- how about this.
to new coach" Hi coach. Wanted to give you a heads up that when I was home visiting, my initial instructor gave me my blue belt. He meant to do it before I left, but I got busy with the move and it didn't happen. I didn't want to catch you off guard, and I am not receiving any more promotions from him. But as I'd had been training there since 2009, it meant a lot to get it from him"

Then hit the mats and train. Problem solved. Your not asking permission, just giving a courtesy 'FYI" and letting him know you are not accepting further rank from old instructor.

Just clarify it between both of them.

Of course if you're training more at one place, you'll rep them. Can't be doing stuff like train 6 days at the secondary gym, while doing 1 day at your main, and rep your main one at events. Not cool

Back