Training and cortisol hormone

rizky

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
It is said that training more than 1 hour increase cortisol hormone, but as we know practice martial arts/combat sport are mostly 2 hours each session. So how we prevent this cortisol?
If your answer are sleep. High cortisol make us hard to sleep?

There is no preventing it.

Metyrapone;)

It's quite an interesting drug, they have even looked into it's application with blocking/removing negative memories.

Both Cortisol and Oxytocin, have been linked to being part of a loop that hardwires certain types of negative memories in the brain.

Cortisol is a "white hat" hormone within the immune system, and it is necessary for endothelial cells in the heart to function properly. Without it (meaning if it was actually "stopped") you'd be dead.

Tai chi, bro

---

That's why meditation was invented in the first place. I mean think about it, you think people wanted to invent a way to waste their time back then in the rough difficult ancient days? Clearly it was an answer to this problem

lol Actually there was just recently released some solid medical data on meditation. Intriguing stuff.

Cortisol is a "white hat" hormone within the immune system, and it is necessary for endothelial cells in the heart to function properly. Without it (meaning if it was actually "stopped") you'd be dead.

No one said anything about blocking it completely, cortisol is essential but too much is very dangerous, ask anyone with cushings syndrome, including a pet dog I had that died from the on going degradation from trying to control it.

I know the dangers of too much cortisol, my man. But no one here is going to get accidental Cushing's. The TS asked about preventing it, hence my statement. There is NO "preventing" it any more than there is "preventing" any other hormone. You can possibly inhibit the release of it, or desensitize receptors. But most OTC products designed to do that are phony anyway.

I know my post sounded sarcastic now that I've re-read it. It wasn't meant to be written in a naive tone, I just wrote it and hit the "post" button abruptly, didn't think about it after.

I know the dangers of too much cortisol, my man. But no one here is going to get accidental Cushing's. The TS asked about preventing it, hence my statement. There is NO "preventing" it any more than there is "preventing" any other hormone. You can possibly inhibit the release of it, or desensitize receptors. But most OTC products designed to do that are phony anyway.
That's mean pro fighters who train long duration have high cortisol?

Cortisol responds to stress, when you are stressed, more of it releases.

Cortisol responds to stress, when you are stressed, more of it releases.

Haven't you got some top flight pro boxers to train or something....

Last edited:
I've read some time ago that a combination of L-Lysine and L-Arginine lowers cortisol levels. I don't take them in combination; in fact, I don't take L-Arginine at all even though I probably should. But I DO take L-Lysine as a regular dietary supplement.

As for catching some zzz's after a day of hard training what I found works best (for me at least) is a nice hot shower followed by a cup of chamomile tea while reading a book or magazine. Last resort for me if the shower, tea and reading trick doesn't work is the 'ole "White Noise" method.

Yeah I know, I'm kinda weird.

Try stretching after practice and eating a good meal.

It's really not a big deal.

If you really want to spend money, look into adaptogenic roots and herbs:

Rhodiola
Maca
Cordyceps
Lions mane
Ginko biloba
Reishi
Kings trumpet
Aswaghanda
Ginger
Turmeric
Bacopa
Chaga
Etc.

Amino acids are good but they are overpriced and don't have the benefits of a whole root

Last edited:

you really know and understand your craft

Back