Training all fitness components - Reaching your peak

benjones

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys just a quick question or two. I know i ask alot of questions but the knowledge on here is impeccable.

Say for example Person A had 1 year exactly where he didn't have to work, didnt have to worry about finances and had the money available to attend any gym type i.e power lifting gym or Olympic lifting etc etc, any food type and quantity..he would have all the time to recover, as he dosent hav kids, is single etc etc.

Say he wants to cover all fitness components-

Cardiovascular / respiratory endurance

ProBodX is your best bet to be the best athlete for most sports. It would help you most with flexibility, mobility, utilizing elastic energy for power development, balance and coordination.

Some of your other needs like speed and agility can be worked on by sprints and agility drills.

The weightlifting and strength part, you''ll need to do some lifting and bodyweight exercises.

ah ok, i always thought working with the ball was gimmicky thing..im actually working on getting my PT qualification too...i know they arent the be all end all and you really start learning after you pass but....anyhow im always fascinated with top end athletes but how they kinda let one or two areas go.

Crossfit had the right idea but in application not so much as certain things/ movements go off form and risk injury...trying to do olympic lifting movements with high reps doesent look good to me from what ive seen, they seemed to have put together a power movement with muscular endurance - cardio.

cyling would be safer for cardio, as the top guys are always thought to have the best cross over stamina, those and long distance skiiers

Given that your goals are so spread out and non-specific you might as well do CrossFit. I think it would be more interesting to pick some specific goals and talk about how you would train for them given your hypothetical year of training.

ok well whats considered a good-

bench press
squat ATG
deadlift

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/strong-strength-standards-raw-natural-lifters

this article interesting -

my goals in specific terms is to

look good, low bodyfat 10 per cent fat at 180 pounds if i can get mor than better, decent muscle size = body composition

im currently 198 pounds at 19 per cent fat

strong all around in the 1 to 3 rep range - bench, deadlift, squat,

power - a high vertical jump, being able, clean and press

good cardio etc

sorry i didnt put down some numbers -

id like to get to 140k bench, 180 squat,, 200 deadlift

sorry i didnt put down some numbers -

id like to get to 140k bench, 180 squat,, 200 deadlift

that's one hell of a bench goal. I don't want to be all negative about your efforts, but unless you turn green when you're angry, you're never going to bench 140k

that's one hell of a bench goal. I don't want to be all negative about your efforts, but unless you turn green when you're angry, you're never going to bench 140k

And you know this because?.........

You should watch this video:

Read this article as well, the author is the guy in the video: https://www.t-nation.com/training/total-athleticism-the-workout

It might not consider cardiovascular training so much, but overall he has the right idea. I think, as you, the key is going to the source of other sports and from there take what you can. Obviously, you won't reach elite levels in anything, but it all depends on your goal.

I think a template could look something like this:

Day1:
Warmup/streching
Bodyweight progression 3x10(dips, diamond pushups, L-sit, pullups, handstandpushups and so forth. Depending on level. Choose both a push and a pull exercise)
Snatch 2x5
Squats 3x6

Day2
40 min LISS training for recovery(bike ride, jogging, swimming, jump rope, whatever)
Skill/balance training for 10-20 minutes. Like practicing handstands, practicing front lever, L-sit, whichever.

Day3
Warmup/stretching
Bodyweight progression 3x10(push and pull)
Clean and Jerk 3x5
Deadlift 4x4

Day4
45 min LISS Training/HIT
Skill/balance/yoga 30mins(Just find some of the most simple and useful yoga stretches and mobility work)

Day5
Warmup/stretching
Bodyweight progression 3x10
Lower body plyo training 2x6(Anything utilizing the stretch reflex really, like box jumps, but keep the reps low and effective)
Squat 1x20

Day6-7
Mobility/skillwork/balance/active recovery/relaxing/some bodyweight exercises if you want.

I have something like this in mind for myself when I recover from ACL surgery. I think the key is picking a few good proven exercises across the board and sticking to it. Obviously reps and such are up for debate. Personally I like a little more volume on the squat.

I too am studying to be a PT btw :)

Btw, a really great bodyweight progression site: https://fitloop.co/routines/bwf-recommended-beginner-routine

Last edited by a moderator:

What the fuck are you talking about?

For a person with a 180 lb bodyweight, I'd consider a 140 kg bench press to be decent, at best.

For a person with a 180 lb bodyweight, I'd consider a 140 kg bench press to be decent, at best.

A 140kg(310lbs) bench at 180lbs is more than just decent. It's not impossible, but it's near elite level.

"Good cardio/stamina/conditioning" is specific to the activity. You can't be a great 1600m runner, skier, swimmer, boxer, tennis player, and wrestler all at the same time with a year of training, much less be good at all those AND have better-than-advanced strength numbers.
I think you need to look at the conditioning FAQ again. You work the oxygen delivery system (heart, blood vessels, lungs), and the oxygen uptake system (muscles), the latter is where the specificity of the activity comes in. There is also neural efficiency coming into play when you practice specific motions and patterns of a sport. You use less energy to produce the same movements and forces, which allows you to repeat the movements more with the same amount of energy.

If you were trying to improve multiple qualities at once, you'd be best prioritizing specific qualities in blocks. I'll give you an example from a paper from the NSCA called Periodization for MMA. Each quality is listed in order of priority within the block:

Block 1. General preparation: Interval training using 1:1 Hi:Lo ratio, Hypertrophy training, Technical training, Tactical training

Block 2. Specific preparation: Technical training, High intensity energy system conditioning using 1:2 Hi:Lo ratio, Strength Training, Tactical training

Block 3. Precompetition: Tactical training, technical training, High intensity energy system conditioning using 1:2 Hi:Lo ratio, strength-power training.

An example of the specific prep block would be
Week 1:
-Monday AM Technical training, PM Energy system conditioning
-Tuesday AM Technical training, PM Strength training
-Wednesday AM Technical training
-Thursday AM Energy system conditioning
-Friday AM Technical, PM Strength training
Saturday AM: Technical

That's 5x technical training, 2x strength training, 2x energy system conditioning in week 1

Week 2 would have 6x technical training, 2x strength training, 3 x energy system conditioning
Week 3 would be 6x technical training, 2x strength training, 4x energy system conditioning
Week 4 would be a bit of a deload with 5x technical training, 2x strength training, and 2x energy system conditioning.

For your energy system conditioning you'd try to use sport specific exercises (as long as they use sufficient muscle mass to count for the cardio portion) like hitting mits, pads and bags, shadow boxing, takedown drills, grappling drills, etc. If you're a swimmer you swim. If you're a runner, you hit the road.

Going through those blocks would allow you to improve your strength, gas tank in the cage, technique and game plan at MMA all at the same time, but it's still not going to do shit for your skiing or swimming ability. Maybe you spend the next 3 months working on your swimming or running or skiing skills (while your mma game deteriorates).

This is why crossfit and working out with no goals in mind doesn't make you a better athlete. Its why doing one sports to get better at another sport doesnt make any sense. You have to choose and have a sport or two to be a good athlete of those sports. Otherwise you're just a strong healthy person that's pretty good at some stuff (nothing wrong with that) .

Pretty sure he was making a joke about the guy saying 140k, instead of 140kg

Gay.

Pick an athletic activity you truly enjoy versus absolutely busting your ass and dedicating your life to only be able to run an 7 minute mile, bench 210 pounds, be able to box 3 rounds and be able to do 15 pull ups.

Pretty sure he was making a joke about the guy saying 140k, instead of 140kg

you are correct. i think we can all agree that there are not enough steroids on the planet to get someone's bench up to 140,000 (also known as 140k) lbs.

Being 175lb I benched 130kg and I am NOWHERE near elite, athletes at 180lb should be upwards of 160/170 surely?

Back