Train with slams

Ok, so this may be semi stupid, but I'm being pretty sincere about this.

If you're training for MMA or to have competent self defense, you should train with slams. I know it sounds crazy, but you can "pull slams" the same way you pull punches in boxing. In my limited opinion, I know that BJJ is super cool for little guys to beat big guys. But let's be honest. If mighty mouse put me in a triangle, I'm going to powerbomb his ass through a sidewalk over and over until he lets go or dies. I'm exaggerating, but you get my point, I hope. Bigger opponents have the capacity to do major bodily harm with a solid slam. If you don't know how to deal with it, you're screwed.

So all I'm saying is, maybe you should consider your strategy.

Gi and no-gi Jiu-jitsu is a game. Every games has rules and you play within them. If you change this rule, nobody would try triangles from the bottom they would just sweep to get on top or play open guard.

I agree with you that unless your being rape in a bed, a triangle from the bottom has more chance of getting you hurt by a slam than actually choke out someone.

Gi and no-gi Jiu-jitsu is a game. Every games has rules and you play within them. If you change this rule, nobody would try triangles from the bottom they would just sweep to get on top or play open guard.

I agree with you that unless your being rape in a bed, a triangle from the bottom has more chance of getting you hurt by a slam than actually choke out someone.

No. You really need to work on your technique, there's about zero chances I'm getting picked up once I locked my triangle. zero, no matter how strong the person is, and is not mbecause I'm some super duder ninja...

yes and no. yes, gi/no-gi jiujitsu is a game. ADCC allows slamming from submissions and you still ee triangles from guard work and attempted all the time, rarely with the guarder being slammed. Just a few cases where they will refuse to let go of the submission and get slammed

You still see triangles and armbars from guard in MMA where slams and strikes are allowed. Also is PRIDE where stomps and soccer kicks were allowed, armbars and triangles from the guard where frequent finishers of fight

They are games but some games are much closer to reality than others

Daki Age....

Used to be an automatic ippon, ehen you got him above the waist, then they just made it matte, from what I hear because after hearing "ippon" ukes were getting dropped.

Don't recall that ever being changed back.

Honestly, I think it should be ippon.

I don't even train for self defense and I am sport oriented.

But I see grown up not being able to play open guard and getting uplifted that high.

I just think the sport is dumb and as irrelevant as the current English bulldog is to bull baiting.

Honestly, I think it should be ippon.

I don't even train for self defense and I am sport oriented.

But I see grown up not being able to play open guard and getting uplifted that high.

I just think the sport is dumb and as irrelevant as the current English bulldog is to bull baiting.

It drives me nuts that several people I train with refuse to open their closed guard when I lift them off the ground . Its a seen as a viable tactic in my gym and in the Ibjjf rulesets.

I'm not sure I understand. What's the difference between training for MMA and training MMA?

If you're training in the gi, you're not training MMA. If you can't punch each other, you're not training MMA. If you're training in the gi, or without strikes or slams, but you're focusing your training on techniques and strategies that are applicable to MMA, you're training for MMA even if you're not actually training MMA.

I am not 125 lbs so for me to say you would never pick me up and slam me in a triangle is unfair I guess. But you are not. If mighty mouse locked you in a triangle the only thing you are picking up is a couple extra minutes of sleep.
There is a guy I've trained with for 20 years that was probably around 115 or 120 for a long time. You would not slam him if he got you in a triangle. 100 percent for sure it's not happening

I am not 125 lbs so for me to say you would never pick me up and slam me in a triangle is unfair I guess. But you are not. If mighty mouse locked you in a triangle the only thing you are picking up is a couple extra minutes of sleep.
There is a guy I've trained with for 20 years that was probably around 115 or 120 for a long time. You would not slam him if he got you in a triangle. 100 percent for sure it's not happening

How did Rampage slam Arona? Or Hughes slam Newton? What special bulletproof BJJ magic would prevent Cain from slamming Mighty Mouse?

No. You really need to work on your technique, there's about zero chances I'm getting picked up once I locked my triangle. zero, no matter how strong the person is, and is not mbecause I'm some super duder ninja...

You're better at BJJ than Arona? You're better at BJJ than Jeff Glover?

No, arona made a huge mistake, didn't let go when he should've. People make mistakes, and arona didn't have a fully locked triangle, it was just legs crossed over shoulder. If I get to lock a triangle, I'm looking to hook the leg or arm, there is zero chaces I'm getting picked up, zero, does that make me better that arona or Jeff? No, they just didn't go for it for some reason and paid for it.

How did Rampage slam Arona? Or Hughes slam Newton? What special bulletproof BJJ magic would prevent Cain from slamming Mighty Mouse?

Hooking the arm/leg is bulletproof in terms of not getting slammed.

On the side your leg is across the neck you either pull that foot forward or hook the leg if you are late. Now stop trolling. Go to Seattle and train at might mouses gym. As soon as you get in his guard put one arm in between his legs. That will set him up for him to try the silly triangle choke and then you can slam the shit out f him. Go do it. Or go to any bjj school and try it.

Just check out Rampage trying to slam Forrest for a good example...

It drives me nuts that several people I train with refuse to open their closed guard when I lift them off the ground . Its a seen as a viable tactic in my gym and in the Ibjjf rulesets.

I feel your pain... I never understand the whole koala bear hug thing from closed guard. As soon as I am lifted I open and look to hit a takedown or play open guard.
There is a judo guy where I train who is really good at hitting trips after you lift him to open his guard. He will release and then go for a throw with grips in place.

I am a reasonably strong bloke and I have lifted guys and had them just hug onto me in the gym. I then proceeded to slowly and gently lower them to the ground while they death gripped me.
They then went crazy and tried to sub me immediately after I decided to be a nice bloke. I had this happen recently when one pulled my gi over my head and I still had to gently lower him without being able to see. He pulled my gi back down and attacked a collar choke haha.

I have built my entire game on passing guard to avoid these closed guard stalemate fights. I can't think of anything worse and will just give up triangles and armbars to practice defence when I roll with someone that I know is like this. I even pull them into mount to get something out of the roll.

No one here is saying that. But technically speaking he should've hooked the leg and came off at an angle. Its day 1 BJJ stuff, being at an angle makes it more vicious, and all your weight is off to the side, so even if you are a 500lb deadlifter, broken down and at that angle, its going to take you a hell of a longer time to lift. By that time you'd be going into sleep mode.

The triangle wasn't even finished with Arona either, the leg should come parallel to the neck for the squeeze (like a blade decapitating your neck), it was at a 45 deg in that vid.

If you're training in the gi, you're not training MMA. If you can't punch each other, you're not training MMA. If you're training in the gi, or without strikes or slams, but you're focusing your training on techniques and strategies that are applicable to MMA, you're training for MMA even if you're not actually training MMA.

So much this.

Its a completely different dynamic, and the mindset of:

standing is MT, once it goes to the ground its BJJ

is wrong. And because of it, people should start to train for GnP. Its at the point where its almost its own style right now.
Too many are sub-oriented when you should be focusing on turning your opponent's face into pounded meat.
GnP is the best way to pass guard, esp. if the guy spends all his time doing knee slicer passes and doesn't deal much with taking hits.

If I get stuck on the bottom and the guy wants to play BJJ, I'm relaxed and calm, its no problem to me. Whereas if he takes me down, and drops bombs, I'm not gonna be calm, I'm gonna be focused on defending, getting out of there ASAP and probably will give something up so I won't get ktfo.

At the end of the round if it was just a grappling match, no biggie, I'm still fine, and it could go either way with the judging.
If the guy went Jon Jones on me when I was on bottom:

1. its demoralizing and will probably gas me
2. its obvious I've lost, not judges, not even Cecil People's will say being the pounded meat won that round.

Objective on the ground should be to hurt and inflict pain on the guy, then finish him. Not the other way around.

I've been slammed hard in an Ibjjf rules comp years and years ago. I was stunned (the guy DQ'ed of course) but luckily completely ok after a couple minutes. I've always been careless about this stuff (even though my professor used to make a big deal about executing guard techniques the proper, slam danger-free way) and I'm lucky I've learned the lesson without real damages.

So in short- no matter if you do MMA, strict Ibjjf rules, only submission or whatever.. don't be like me.. always be prepared for the worst, if it's physical possible that a guy could prefer to slam you than tap to your triangle/armbar/whatever, then don't think "it's forbidden by the rules, I'm safe".. don't flip the coin at all if you can.. don't put yourself in the position for this to happen at all, or at the very least limit as much as you can!

I don't mind that. Let's me work on my closed guard escapes.

I actually like to take people's back when they stand. I have pistol grip on the sleeve and one hand behind their tricep.

Basically, one side of their body is immobilized, so there is no chance of me getting power bombed. I'm also on the side of them during the transition.

If I don't have that grip though, I will transition to open guard or grab both legs and sweep when they stand.

If I was in a competition and the guy picked me up I'd let go.
If someone picks me up in training I let go.
I don't want to get slammed on the neck for some regional comp.
If it was the worlds or something then maybe...

I've been slammed hard in an Ibjjf rules comp years and years ago. I was stunned (the guy DQ'ed of course) but luckily completely ok after a couple minutes. I've always been careless about this stuff (even though my professor used to make a big deal about executing guard techniques the proper, slam danger-free way) and I'm lucky I've learned the lesson without real damages.

So in short- no matter if you do MMA, strict Ibjjf rules, only submission or whatever.. don't be like me.. always be prepared for the worst, if it's physical possible that a guy could prefer to slam you than tap to your triangle/armbar/whatever, then don't think "it's forbidden by the rules, I'm safe".. don't flip the coin at all if you can.. don't put yourself in the position for this to happen at all, or at the very least limit as much as you can!

Was this you?

Back