Traditional Karate guard vs Boxing guard

The reason I doubt Thompson a little bit is that Thompson wasn't as good as Raymond Daniels or MVP - but Daniel's got tooled against good kickboxers.

Other wise, I'm glad at the points made by NAKMUAY18 - guys like Max Holloway are great strikers by any standard. I've been saying for a little while that MMA striking is now at a point where it's pretty good in general. I don't think they're as good as kickboxers, because they're not, but being real here, if I put Donald Cerrone against most kickboxers (save the elite) I think he has a good running against most of them. I could legitimately see him beating a lot of the top american and british kickboxers... probably not the dutch and thai though
Thompson may not be as good a kickboxer as Daniels or MVP but he certainly adapted better and has had more success in MMA. That's the issue we will always be facing in these discussions - better striker for kickboxing vs better striker for MMA. Adapting to the different ruleset is a major factor.

I did not shit on the level of striking in mma, I simply pointed out that Machida did not beat any world class strikers. Fact. So to use him as an argument is ludicrious. Same goes for wonderboy who fought in some outdated Kickboxing organisation against nobodies.
And you still refuse to define who exactly are these "world class strikers" in MMA. Fact. Can't spell "ludicrous" too. Fact.

Thompson may not be as good a kickboxer as Daniels or MVP but he certainly adapted better and has had more success in MMA. That's the issue we will always be facing in these discussions - better striker for kickboxing vs better striker for MMA. Adapting to the different ruleset is a major factor.

Be fair - MVP hasn't really had the chance to show how he's adapted because Coker refuses to give him a good opponent.

The thing is in fight sports sometimes you just have to land one big punch, so there are MMA guys with competent striking for sure that have the potential to land that shot, but when you compare the technical nuances to top NakMuay/Kickboxers they're not nearly as complete and polished. That's usually where the argument against MMA striking lays.

Like I can't think of anytime I've seen a guy in MMA counter kick off a check for example, and you see that all the time in Kickfight sports. Half the time they don't even check. Granted their are nuances to MMA that inhibit confidence in some of the more advanced striking techniques.

Schevchenko was a top Kick boxer I knew about her well before she went into the UFC.

Not buying on Condit and Thompson though. I think they are good strikers in MMA context but at their weight too many good Kickboxers. Darren Till is a complete nobody in Kickboxing and he just owned Cowboy.
I've sparred with Top 5 UFC guys, and I've sparred with International MT fighters (top 20ish, with intercontinental belts), I've also seen them spar together. It's competitive. Top end MMA strikes need to be legit now, there's too many people training now for sprawl and brawl to work.
You mentioned Harrison and Jordan Watson, those guys aren't just world class, they are the elite of the world class. It's like saying that your kickboxing is shit because you cant hang with Nicky Holtzken. I would never dream of saying that Mighty Mouse is going to roll up to Lumpinee and smash everyone, but if Max Holloway was put in the Glory roster I'll bet that he could get a few good wins under his belt before he hits the top guys and starts getting beat.
I talked lot of shit about Stephen Thompson, especially after the Matt Brown fight, but he won me over. I don't like his style, but he's effective with it. I think it would have the same result in a ring as in a cage.
As far as Darren Till goes, he might be a nobdy but he has some clean Muay Thai. I think he'd be even more effective with out takedowns

Be fair - MVP hasn't really had the chance to show how he's adapted because Coker refuses to give him a good opponent.
OK OK, I guess you're right. But he's not much interested in good opponents, is he?

OK OK, I guess you're right. But he's not much interested in good opponents, is he?

I can't claim to know, never met the guy! But I think he's going for where he can get the most sponsership money

Can any karate guys explain why we slide our feet? first thing they taught me in boxing after years of karate was to stop sliding my feet.

Remember when you went to put your shoes on after training on the wooden floored gym hall and the soles of your feet would covered in black dusty grit stuff?

That's my guess. Whatever that stuff was, it made it extremely easy to glide your feet around... I trained in a lot of places with different people and every fucking dojo and gym hall had the same strange black dust stuff that seemed invisible until it accumulated on the bottom of every ones feet.

With boxing boots on or on mats it's undoubtedly less effective. But it's a hard habit to break.

Remember when you went to put your shoes on after training on the wooden floored gym hall and the soles of your feet would covered in black dusty grit stuff?

That's my guess. Whatever that stuff was, it made it extremely easy to glide your feet around... I trained in a lot of places with different people and every fucking dojo and gym hall had the same strange black dust stuff that seemed invisible until it accumulated on the bottom of every ones feet.

With boxing boots on or on mats it's undoubtedly less effective. But it's a hard habit to break.
haha yeah thats weird i think i know what you are talking about.

Back