traditional hand wraps vs gel hand wraps/ inner gloves.

cardkid

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I actually have a couple of questions on this matter so hopefully you can help me make the best decision.
I know everyone says that we should wear hand wraps when training but I don't and have been thinking that I should. But something putting me off is how much will they restrict my hand movement? Obvioiusly the point in them is to keep my hand nice and tight, but how will this effect me when warming up e.g doing press ups. WIll my hand my able to be flat enough to do press ups?
My other question is as the title pretty much explains, which do people think are better for training in?
I've heard alot of people talking shit about the gel wraps saying they're not good and fall apart etc, is this true? Is there any noticable benefits from using them at all or instead of conventional hand wraps?
Lastly, can anyone recommend a particular pair of either traditional wraps or the inner gloves gel wraps?

Cheers.

Yes, you will still be able to intentionally flex your wrist enough for push-ups and the like. Wraps have no rigid structure. The only thing they do is to help stabilize against unwanted/unintended wrist movement, so all the bones in your hand are in the right spot to efficiently transfer the impact stress back to your forearm bones, which are more capable of absorbing it.

The quick-wraps and inner glove type are pretty much crap on their own. Most who use them use them more for the padding, and use a traditional wrap over top of it for the wrist support.

As far as what brand? It doesn't really matter. The vast majority of re-usable hand wraps come in two types, either a plain cotton that has little-to-no stretch or the "Mexican" variety which have a fair amount of stretch. The stretchy/Mexican style is more popular, due to the way it fits to your hand. 180 inches is the standard length (4.5 metres, roughly, if you're metric).

Yes, you will still be able to intentionally flex your wrist enough for push-ups and the like. Wraps have no rigid structure. The only thing they do is to help stabilize against unwanted/unintended wrist movement, so all the bones in your hand are in the right spot to efficiently transfer the impact stress back to your forearm bones, which are more capable of absorbing it.

The quick-wraps and inner glove type are pretty much crap on their own. Most who use them use them more for the padding, and use a traditional wrap over top of it for the wrist support.

As far as what brand? It doesn't really matter. The vast majority of re-usable hand wraps come in two types, either a plain cotton that has little-to-no stretch or the "Mexican" variety which have a fair amount of stretch. The stretchy/Mexican style is more popular, due to the way it fits to your hand. 180 inches is the standard length (4.5 metres, roughly, if you're metric).

Ok thanks, that's actually helped alot.
Why are they so long though? 4.5 metres sounds like alot of hand wrap doesn't it? Although I can appreciated the amount of times its being wrapepd around the hand.
As for the inner gloves, why would I want more padding?

It sounds like a lot of wrap, till you actually go wrap your hands. Once you go over the wrists, knuckles, thumb, go in between each finger and criss-cross over the back of the hand enough, you can run out pretty quickly. I know I do, at least.

Some people like to have extra padding on the knuckles, especially when doing bag work. Maybe they've had a broken finger and want an extra bit of protection, maybe they find that even with wraps, they're still rubbing the skin over their knuckles too much, or any number of reasons. Not everyone uses them (I'd say more don't than do), though.

Here's one of the hundreds of hand-wrapping instructional videos available on youtube. They all have their own details, but 99% of them are the same. The main differences are essentially if you wrap the thumb, if you go between the fingers and if you layer a bit of extra padding over the knuckles to start.

Here's Benny Urquidez with another method, this one shows how to include a bit extra knuckle padding just by using the wrap itself.

I do it the like the 2nd video, The padding feels good, just a bitch to keep it in place the first initial wrap. since i have big hands, it seems like I need those 200" wraps. or maybe a knuckle guard.

Alot of the ones im coming across are either 2.5m or 3.5m, should I stay away from these? Also if I were to get strech ones, it would make sense to have them smaller than standard cotton 4.5 wouldn't it?
Also there seems to be alot of different prices, I understand alot of this is down to a manufacturing E.G Bad Boy. Is this all it is though? Just the name? Or is there difference in quality between a

Last edited:
Yes, tick with 180" (4.5m) and don't wrap so tight that you cut off circulation or even come close to doing so. I wrap between the fingers but not much over the knuckles, most of mine goes across the hand and around my wrist.

No need to spend 10GBP, that's too much. Look for mostly cotton, Everlast make the best wraps in my opinion. Good price and have maintained their quality unlike most Everlast products.

With the whole point in the hand wraps securing my wrist are you all sure I'll be able to put my hands out flat for press ups though? This is important as we do alot of press ups etc.

You could always do knuckle push ups; but are pushups more important than knuckle and wrist protection to you? If you think so, you really should get your priorities straightened out.

^everlast handwraps good, but the color tends to bleed when washing, I noticed it when I started to handwash my handwraps.
but I do like the thickness, and stretch.

With the whole point in the hand wraps securing my wrist are you all sure I'll be able to put my hands out flat for press ups though? This is important as we do alot of press ups etc.

I've yet to have issues, but yeah, you can do knuckle push-ups. Some guys I've trained with don't even take off their gloves for push-ups.

You could always do knuckle push ups; but are pushups more important than knuckle and wrist protection to you? If you think so, you really should get your priorities straightened out.

It's not a case of me wanting or not wanting knuckle protection or writst support, it's the case that we do this as part of the warm up etc. I don't think it would go down too well if I just said I'm not taking part because I'm wearing handwraps. Which is exactly why I asked for people opinions.
I will probably do knuckle push ups.

It's not a case of me wanting or not wanting knuckle protection or writst support, it's the case that we do this as part of the warm up etc. I don't think it would go down too well if I just said I'm not taking part because I'm wearing handwraps. Which is exactly why I asked for people opinions.
I will probably do knuckle push ups.

If you can, just wait until after the warm-up to wrap your hands.

If you need to do push-ups after your hands are already wrapped, it's still no big deal. The wraps may stretch and loosen a bit, but it's easy to tighten them back up.

Doing push-ups with handwraps has never bothered me, but jumping rope with them is another story.

Get the 180" wraps.

Those inches tend to seem less once you start wrapping. You can get descent quality wraps on Amazon or Ebay. I would recommend mexican/stretchable ones!

Haven't used them, before, but they look fine.

You did get the pink ones, right? :)

Last edited:
Back