Traditional Bag Glove Questions / Answers

tomhanks

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
updates written in this color.

A friend swinging through Mexico offered to bring me back some Reyes traditional bag gloves as a gift / souvenir. I have never used bag gloves before & have never used anything Reyes before. Had a hard time finding information on the web, and wanted to send it out to the forum. I know that these are intended to emphasize technique over power & condition hand strength. I also know that some people think they are archaic. Don't think Ive seen them used at any of the gyms Ive been through over the years. If you have any thoughts on them, Id really appreciate it.

Some Questions On Traditional Bag Gloves:

•• Do traditional bag gloves do anything that a 12-oz winning (my current small bag glove) wont?

tom hanks : yes. they feel faster and sharper on the bag due to their weight. the soft spongy reyes foam snaps louder then winning gloves. owning one makes the other a little unnecessary, but if you have the change, its enjoyable to switch between the two to work based on what your trying to practice / experience.

•• Is the padding similar to a comparably sized training glove?

tom hanks : seems to be. dont own other gloves that size, but its very protective padding for such a light glove.

•• Should I avoid using high weight heavy bags with a traditional bag glove?

tom hanks : no problems so far. doesnt feel much different than hitting the heavy heavy bag with a 12oz

•• How does sizing work on traditional bag gloves / reyes bag gloves?

tom hanks : i have average ish sized hands. too big for my fairtex BGV9s (16), perfect for the winning (12). i was given L bag gloves. i know reyes pockets are supposed to be big, so its hard to gauge (not having owned other gloves). my finger touch the end of the pocket without wraps, but it definitely doesn't feel snug. i think an M would have been a perfect fit.

•• Anyone used this bag glove? How does it compare to other bag gloves?

------------

UPDATE : i got these in. used them about 30 rounds on the bag and DE. im really in love with this pair of gloves. would heartily recommend them to a gear collector with cash to burn. because they dont feel as versatile as a modern bag glove, i would hesitate to recommend this to a new boxer trying to buy their first round of training gear. you would be able to cover you bases if you bought these and a sparring glove, but if your not working with a coach / your technique is off, you could hurt your hands/wrists. that goes with boxing in general, but these dont do you any favors. on the other hand, these gloves feel amazing. lightning fast. very protective. beautiful construction. having never used them, i had a low opinion of traditional bag gloves. happy to report that i have completely different feelings now. i can use these on the heaviest bags in the gym (always with wrapped hands) and feel no worse then my heavy/protective gloves. havent had an issue yet with my exposed thumb rubbing anything. great response on the DE bag. havent used them on pads. dont think i would, with better tools in the chest for that. the US rate seems to be 80$ for a new pair of these. i would have been happy to pay that based on my experience so far. not cheap, and not necessarily necessary. but great gloves that do everything you ask them to, and do it well.

RBG-RD_1.jpg

Last edited:
First of all, I love your films, Mr. Hanks.

Second, I was just outbid on eBay on a pair of these... I did end up getting a pair of Thaismai bag gloves which arrived today. I haven't had the chance to try them out. I did have an older pair of Ringside bag gloves about five or six years ago... They were fine. You can definitely work technique and build strength in your punches (you're forced to really align those knuckles).

I'd say go for it... I would. Also, ignore the naysayers. Naysayers gonna say nay.

Likely there will be less padding, and the padding will be denser, but last longer.

As far as sizing and this particular pair, I am of no help. I am sorry.

Great films... Great films...

I use bag gloves exclusively for the heavy bag and have done so for the past year+. I actually picked up some second hand Cleto's you have pictured. Sizing, I would say that I have fairly large hands, and LG in these bag mitts works for me. I've gone on a bit of an extravaganza and purchased many pairs of mitts over the last year.

I first fell in love with an old pair of Tuf-Wear mitts that were donated to the gym I was coaching at. Without wraps, I was able to work the bag with power shots. However, one day, I got a little too enthusiastic and sprained my wrist terribly. I actually fought through the shock and continued to pound away. But it definitely put me out of commission for a while. Took a break from it and learned that I should use wraps no matter how badass I knew I was, especially with bags that are a bit lopsided.

Finally, I decided to purchase my own pair, exactly the same pair I used before. They were in new-ish condition, but must've been 20-25 years old. I fell in love and made them mine. I used them with wraps and broke them in a bit. The padding on these Tuf Wear mitts was very dense. God knows if they were meant to be dense (maybe they aged), but the padding is not very thick, and I can't recall ever "punching through" the padding or bottoming out. I had to start out slow, and didn't experience any knuckle or hand issues. Starting out, I focused on technique and built my way up. I've been learning to punch through the bag, definitely wouldn't define what I'm trying to accomplish as "hitting" the bag.

Anyways, lost those mitts. I think I left them outside the gym to dry and forgot them (they were so damn small). Very sad to discover that I'd misplaced these. I tried to go back to using my Grant Super Bag Gloves, but they just felt too cushion-y and gel-like. Joints felt terrible too, truth be told, which is why I tried the bag mitts out in the first place, because I kept landing awkwardly with "super bag gloves" due to inconsistent padding on the gloves.

I then purchased the Cleto's secondhand (they were actually used in Lamon Brewster's gym, not sure if by him or not). They definitely had some use, but I actually ended up literally tearing through the leather of the glove which was surprising, but then again the tear happened on those double stitched parts on the backhand. Not sure what the stitching does, but it weakened the leather for sure. Also, I almost forgot. The Cleto Reyes gloves were much simpler bag gloves and were essentially pre-curved. Very different than the Tuf Wear above or the Everlast below. Much simpler in construction. They felt fine, but my biggest issue aside from the leather tear was the fact my thumb wasn't covered, and so my thumb knuckles actually ended up skinning when I would throw palm down body hooks especially. Very annoying, especially when you know they didn't cover the thumb to save costs essentially.

Finally down to the current glove. Everlast made in USA bag mitts. Ultimately, they're okay. Not sure if its because it's winter and dry, but my knuckles have been getting cut up a little. The liner is rougher, and the quality is not as good as the black Tuf Wear (I bring up color because black almost always most durable, and these Everlast mitts are red) so that may be why, or maybe I'm punching too hard for my skin. The bags I'm hitting are vinyl, not leather, and packed pretty tight. I've spoken with many distributors and a few manufacturers, and obviously they say that their bags are superior to leather heavy bags, but that's because they probably don't use their product. Yes, leather bags and equipment require upkeep, but nothing feels as good or breaks in like leather. Side rant.

I currently have Windy Mitts, Thaismai mitts, many pairs (different generations but all American made) of Everlast mitts. I also stumbled upon a pair of Shevlin mitts and also my personal holy grails, Flores bag mitts made by Dan Mosby. I don't know if I'll ever come to use those Flores mitts. The Shevlin feel flimsy and have a terrible Velcro closure. For now, I'm on the hunt for USA (Bronx?) made Everlast and Nebraska Tuf Wear mitts. I have used the Windy, but I got XL and I should've gotten L. I love my mitts to feel really tight, so I can break them in. Always a little bit of a struggle getting them on with wraps is a good sign in my opinion.

I go to a very populated boxing only gym. I still occasionally get shit from some trainers telling me the gloves aren't meant for the heavy bag, but I excuse them from their ignorance. There's this old bag warrior that comes occasionally, real old dude. He has incredible snap on his punches. He uses some more recent Everlast bag mitts, and he pops the shit out of the bag. I love watching him. Never seen him hitting the biggest bags. He hits the lighter one that swings around, has great footwork as well.

Also, a mini side rant. The gloves we have now, with the "break in feel" and pre-curved bull. They don't last as long and they'll never feel as good.

Notes:
- Heavy bag mitts and speed bag mitts are different. Speed bag mitts seem to have the metal grip bar, no real padding, just the thin leather. If you're on the prowl for vintage Everlast mitts, definitely avoid getting the ones with the metal grip bar unless you're looking to use them on the speed bags. Heavy bag mitts shouldn't have those stiches on the backside. Mexican bag mitts do, however and work fine.

When you say you use them exclusively for the heavy bag, do you mean (a) that you never wear other types of gloves when you hit the heavy bag or (b) that you only use bag gloves for the purpose of hitting the heavy bag and no other type of bag or (c) both (a) and (b)?

I don't do mitts, but I'd probably wear my normal 16-18 oz lace ups.

Yes on (a). I don't wear any other glove hitting the heavy bag any longer. Everyone quotes the fact that these mitts (usually around 6 oz) are dumb to use because they don't weigh as much as pro fight gloves let alone sparring gloves, but I actually have a pair of bag mitts that are 14 oz (Flores). But when sparring I use 18 oz, so I think it evens out. I actually really enjoyed using Winning gloves on the bag (16 oz) but I could already tell they were breaking down a bit. The padding is just too soft. I've also used pro fight gloves on the bags, some gym used Rival pro fights, and they felt terrific. I think the bag mitts emulate the feel of the fight gloves best, and they (the one's I've used made in the US) are extremely durable.

(b) I use them on the double end bag and speed bag. close to 3:38 on this following video of Joe Frazier, I've tried to emulate it and have gotten pretty good. The same bag gloves are great for this purpose, as demonstrated by Frazier's use of the same gloves for both the heavy bag and speed bag (I think?).

I don't think I responded to your question correctly.

I had a pair of those in the OP, just to sell them though, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable ever hitting a bag with an exposed thumb. Like, with your thumb literally exposed. Might fuck up and rip your nail off in a monumentally screwed up punch somehow.

edit: actually no, the ones I had had the velcro hook&loop closure attachment and not just the elastic there

Also had a pair of Flores-made bag mitts with a Beaulieu brand on them, loved them. I'd feel some shock through my wrist in them though and so gave them to a friend who appreciated them more, but I have a fractured wrist which has never healed so.

edit: oops no, they weren't Flores made, they were made by Dan Mosby

damn. You gave those Flores bag mitts away? I don't think I could ever come to use the pair I've come across.

Yeah in the sea of what I wrote, I mentioned that my thumb would keep getting skinned when using the thumb-less.

Mosby made is Flores so I think it's cool. I mean technically, Mosby is a Flores. His Grandfather was Frank and his uncle was Ray Flores.

I've gone about 30 rounds with the Thaismai mitts. They are really, really great. Punches feel sharp and the response is excellent.

And they were cheap!

Rarely in life does one find something inexpensive and deeply satisfying.

Except in-n-out hamburgers.

lol deh, did you just put a link to the google search for sb3000?

I assume you've used the Cleto then. How do the winning compare?

First Impressions:

just one round. had to leave the gym quickly after a session. hand compartment is great with wraps. its wide, but im not made aware of it when im using them. finger bar at the end of the pocket is in the right place for my hands and is much better then the one on my fairtex bgv-9s. just like the stock picture shows, the padding is thick and feels incredibly protective for its feel and weight. hit the big bag at the gym, hands felt fine. didnt do it for very long though. great feel hitting the double and heavy bag. loud pop. thought id be bothered by the absence of wrist support, but i didnt find myself wanting for it. dont know how ill integrate these into my training, but a really positive first impression. excited to use them longer.

It'll make your wrists stronger, hands stronger, and give you better form and accuracy. Trade off is, you're more susceptible to injuries if you use them too erratically or inaccurately.

Hitting a bag with any glove does not properly emulate hitting a person. It doesn't matter if you're using 14, 16, or 17 oz gloves on the bag. A lot of old timers speculate that mitts went out of style because some people, namely manufacturers, were wondering why you have a 6 oz bag mitt, when you fight in 8 oz gloves. They were thinking in terms of building endurance, afraid that training 3 minutes on the bag with 6 oz mitts wouldn't give you the same endurance as 16 oz gloves. There's definitely a trade off at some point.

In my opinion, they definitely translate into boxing training. A lot of people here think that they're obsolete, and they make some obscure and incorrect points saying how today's modern gloves are somehow better than what's come before. Is boxing as a whole, the talent pool we have today, the best it's ever been?

Not even close. We've lost a lot in terms of both the art of boxing and equipment/training. Just the other day, I talked to a local manufacturer of heavy bags. I asked if he made leather bags, and he said leather bags were obsolete. Which is bull. Those nylon bags of today may last longer and look prettier, but they are made that way today because of cost. He even admitted that mean that leather bags were obsolete because of maintenance.

A friend swinging through Mexico offered to bring me back some Reyes traditional bag gloves as a gift / souvenir. I have never used bag gloves before & have never used anything Reyes before. Had a hard time finding information on the web, and wanted to send it out to the forum. I know that these are intended to emphasize technique over power & condition hand strength. I also know that some people think they are archaic. Don't think Ive seen them used at any of the gyms Ive been through over the years. If you have any thoughts on them, Id really appreciate it.

Some Questions On Traditional Bag Gloves:

•• Do traditional bag gloves do anything that a 12-oz winning (my current small bag glove) wont?

•• Is the padding similar to a comparably sized training glove?

•• Should I avoid using high weight heavy bags with a traditional bag glove?

•• How does sizing work on traditional bag gloves / reyes bag gloves?

•• Anyone used this bag glove? How does it compare to other bag gloves?

------------

RBG-RD_1.jpg

many companies make bag gloves the exact same way, twins and boon for example.

the purpose of bag gloves, are to hit the bag rather than wearing out your larger gloves on the bag. Save your larger gloves for pads and sparring.

lol deh, did you just put a link to the google search for sb3000?

I assume you've used the Cleto then. How do the winning compare?

Lol, convenience for those who've never heard of that model!

Nah, I haven't used Reyes' bag mitts.

I've used Rival's old-school style bag mitts though:
https://www.titleboxing.com/rival-leather-bag-mitts

Those are the true old school style ones; which literally no padding.

Very fun for mitts, but prefer to hit the air-style mitts with them.

I like using the Winning NG2 knuckle guards with them for the heavybag. Without them... I fear of injury. Unless I'm hitting a water bag.

I don't think Rival's mitts are "true old style", but I can't be sure. Those mitts seem to be emulating another style of bag mitts that Everlast and other companies produced side by side with another style of mitt (what I would consider the heavy bag mitts).

I honestly don't think Rival's pad-less style of gloves is for the heavy bag. I am pretty sure that the RB5 is built after gloves referred to as "speed bag gloves". For instance:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/c-1900-Thum...138099?hash=item2816ea2f33:g:VqgAAOSw~oFXH~Yw

even though those are thumbless, those resemble the "heavy bag mitts" that I'm more used to seeing and using, with padding. Also, another example of a bag gloves that is more of a heavy bag glove than this pad-less glove I keep seeing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Awesome-Old...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The Rival RB5 (I honestly don't think they know what Title Boxing is talking about). For example, here's their description:
  • Traditional Old School design, feel and performance
  • Tough cowhide leather shell delivers extended and dependable wear
  • Ventilated nylon mesh palm with back of the hand air holes helps provide a cool, comfortable and dry workout
  • Palm bar grip brings old fashioned fist security
  • Approximate 6 oz. weight is perfect for heavy bag and light bag workouts
What the funk is "light bag workouts" as opposed to heavy bag? to be completely fair, this is the description from Title Boxing, not Rival. But Rival's bullet points aren't helpful at all. Rival's site basically say that these gloves are for nostalgia's sake - nothing about the practicality of bag mitts whatsoever. The rival bag mitts look like the everlast ones I see all the time with the metal grip bar.

By the way, I met Russ Anber before (the guy that started Rival). I just wanted to say hi (he also coached Lemieux) but he asked if I had any products of his. I told him I had a couple of pairs, and he asked how I liked them and I told him quite honestly that they were "okay". He was turned off by the fact that I didn't say I loved them, and promptly walked away.

Not the biggest fan of Rival. What I see in their product design and manufacturing is that they do pretty much the absolute minimum of what they can do in order to get away with it. For instance, their thumb on their sparring RS1 is one of the laziest thumbs I've ever seen on a glove. The rest of it feels fine, but that damned thumb. I would spar in their 18 oz RS1, and I jammed my thumb (the first time I've ever done so in any glove) on two separate occasions.

Another instance - their fight gloves. They're beautiful and feel great, but the leather they use on the inside part is complete and utter shit. It disintegrates - literally flakes off until you're left with nothing but the black mesh inner liner. The shell leather is high quality, and is great quite honestly. They are good fight gloves, but they figure if they're used for fights, the interior leather doesn't matter and so they cut cost there.

It's $40 usd for the bag mitts on their own site. that's crazy considering how little substance these Rival mitts have.

I honestly don't think Rival's pad-less style of gloves is for the heavy bag. I am pretty sure that the RB5 is built after gloves referred to as "speed bag gloves".

Was going to say this as well; those Rivals posted are based on speed bag gloves rather than any intended for use on a heavy bag. Not sure if they're especially "oldschool" given speed bag gloves are still mass produced by big brands like Everlast, but then they've added the wrist strap to them as well which definitely isn't "oldschool".

What the funk is "light bag workouts" as opposed to heavy bag?

A light bag. You know. One made out of pure light. You throw your fists through the rays of the sun amassed in a loosely bag-like shape, and become a cosmic pugilist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back