Total War: Warhammer 2 comes out tomorrow (also; play TW:WH with me)

I haven’t had a chance to play Tomb Kong’s much yet but they seem hard as hell to use in the campaign. Lizardmen are definitely the easiest to use. Kroq Gar is a wrecking machine that eats anything big once he gets his mounts. So far I’ve liked the Lizardmen the most and honestly they seem like they might be op. Especially later in the game when all your hero’s are riding stegadons and Carnosaurs. I’m ok with that though

I haven’t had a chance to play Tomb Kong’s much yet but they seem hard as hell to use in the campaign. Lizardmen are definitely the easiest to use. Kroq Gar is a wrecking machine that eats anything big once he gets his mounts. So far I’ve liked the Lizardmen the most and honestly they seem like they might be op. Especially later in the game when all your hero’s are riding stegadons and Carnosaurs. I’m ok with that though

Nah, Tomb Kings are probably one of the easiest factions in the game. When you have just one army it's a bit tough early on, but that's the same for most factions.

Not having to pay unit upkeep is nuts. A late game Tomb King AI is ridiculous because even with 1 province they'll have like 8 full stacks of units.

Their skeleton chaff units as far as I can tell are a bit better than the Vampire Count counterparts and you can fill your stack in no time with them.

You can recruit from the regular recruit pool and the global pool at the same time and rapidly fill your armies for free.

Khatep is a beast because he takes one turn off global recruitment which means you can refill your armies in one turn while in enemy territory!

On the mortal empire playthrough, Kroq and Queek both have one of the hardest starting points especially now the with the Tomb King DLC. Not only do they fight each other so early on in the game, they have to contend with vampire counts, (Drawves/Orcs depending on if you play Skaven or Lizardmen) and now the Tomb Kings so close to their towns.

High Elves have it so easy since they have one island to themselves

Bretonnia is a lot of fun. Their infantry sucks, well the Fay Enchantress has some nice buffs for the pilgrims and foot squires, but once you get Questing Knights and start fielding full cav squads, battles are immensely enjoyable. Bretonnia just got some updates to their tech trees and other tweaks with the Tomb Kings patch so now it's a great time to play them. I played with Louen Leoncoeur as my faction leader and he's such a beast in battle. I got cornered in the early game by two Skaeling stacks and everyone but Louen died. He would not break at all. I think he had 400 kills alone. When you confederate Alberic, park him in Marienburg and watch the money flow.

I appreciate the SFO endorsement, @Rational Poster. Having a lot of fun with it and it's not too difficult. I like some of the little event pop-ups and I almost got Khalida wounded because I was fighting a siege battle and beelined her towards the Vampire Hero and it really showed me how strong the lords and heroes are in this mod. Total pyrrhic victory in the end. I'm reallly digging the longer battles and Khalida's unique quest battle with this mod was absolutely epic.

i dont like where the empire are on the big ass map, insta sack buy choas and fucking they wont stop going to war with everything lol

i might do brettonia and start all over.

Nah, Tomb Kings are probably one of the easiest factions in the game. When you have just one army it's a bit tough early on, but that's the same for most factions.

Not having to pay unit upkeep is nuts. A late game Tomb King AI is ridiculous because even with 1 province they'll have like 8 full stacks of units.

Their skeleton chaff units as far as I can tell are a bit better than the Vampire Count counterparts and you can fill your stack in no time with them.

You can recruit from the regular recruit pool and the global pool at the same time and rapidly fill your armies for free.

Khatep is a beast because he takes one turn off global recruitment which means you can refill your armies in one turn while in enemy territory!
Ah well I didn’t get much of a feel for them before I had to go. It just looked like it would take forever for them to really get going. I was playing on normal and watching the basic off units chew up the skeletons. I guess you have to spend out TK early then

On the mortal empire playthrough, Kroq and Queek both have one of the hardest starting points especially now the with the Tomb King DLC. Not only do they fight each other so early on in the game, they have to contend with vampire counts, (Drawves/Orcs depending on if you play Skaven or Lizardmen) and now the Tomb Kings so close to their towns.

High Elves have it so easy since they have one island to themselves
I played mortal empires and didn’t think it was particularly hard with Kroq Gar, but I usually go after skaven first. Saurus are silly good early in the game though the AI seems to struggle against them. That was before TK though. I bet I can still take them fine with Kroq Gar though.

High elves are always annoying in that game though. I think the ai must have lower upkeep costs or something because they just field endless stacks of Swordmasters and Seaguard

Ah well I didn’t get much of a feel for them before I had to go. It just looked like it would take forever for them to really get going. I was playing on normal and watching the basic off units chew up the skeletons. I guess you have to spend out TK early then

It takes like 15 turns to research a second army, then it's pretty much GG.

The other thing is that the player starts with some powerful monster units in their stack and you can really take advantage of them to even up fights against better armies.

Last edited:
Random thoughts before bed:

Lord Mazdamundi has replaced Kroq-Gar as my favorite hero in the game. Banishment, Ruination of Cities, and Comet of Cassandora are all so satisfying to cast.

Ushabti Great Bows need a nerf. Either raise the cost in multiplayer, or reduce that damage.

More people need to play non-Elves/TK's. I feel like every game of Multiplayer, I'm against Elves/TK.

I still think Lizardmen have some of the easier starts in ME. Kroq-gar's Saurus Warrior buffs are nuts and one unit of those is worth 3-4 TK skeleton spearmen at least. I fought a stack of 18 AI Kroq-gar units with Khalida and another TK lord stack of only spearmen, a couple archers and chariots. It was a total battle of attrition and we both took heavy, heavy losses.

Ushabti Great Bows need a nerf. Either raise the cost in multiplayer, or reduce that damage.

I really hope they don't nerf them but should up the price for them in mp. I'm never a fan of single player suffering because of multiplayer (big reason why Destiny 2 is such a shitshow). I had a lot of fun using Ushabti Greatbows to melt siege towers faster than any artillery piece in the game. They're definitely op but they're so much fun to use against the AI, especially cavalry.

I still think Lizardmen have some of the easier starts in ME. Kroq-gar's Saurus Warrior buffs are nuts and one unit of those is worth 3-4 TK skeleton spearmen at least. I fought a stack of 18 AI Kroq-gar units with Khalida and another TK lord stack of only spearmen, a couple archers and chariots. It was a total battle of attrition and we both took heavy, heavy losses.

I really hope they don't nerf them but should up the price for them in mp. I'm never a fan of single player suffering because of multiplayer (big reason why Destiny 2 is such a shitshow). I had a lot of fun using Ushabti Greatbows to melt siege towers faster than any artillery piece in the game. They're definitely op but they're so much fun to use against the AI, especially cavalry.

the empire have a shitty start imo. You have to deal with choas right at the door step

the empire have a shitty start imo. You have to deal with choas right at the door step

Definitely. I haven't played Empire yet but they've got shit to deal with all around. Seems kind of exciting though! I'm going to have to comb through some mods and give Empire a go very soon.

The AI Empire always gets wrecked in my campaigns because of the Norsca tribes, Chaos corruption and then AI Vlad (he gets beat down sometimes though) and Mannfred are conquerin' sons of bitches.

Just finished a minor campaign.

TK are shit at the beginning, middling in the middle and snowball the opposition at the end. I really hate not having elite units for a long time because I hate using mass mobs.

Naggarond could probably give me a good fight for the Domination Victory but I can't be bothered because that means about 200 turns of conquering the entire map.

Definitely. I haven't played Empire yet but they've got shit to deal with all around. Seems kind of exciting though! I'm going to have to comb through some mods and give Empire a go very soon.

The AI Empire always gets wrecked in my campaigns because of the Norsca tribes, Chaos corruption and then AI Vlad (he gets beat down sometimes though) and Mannfred are conquerin' sons of bitches.

Empire isn't too difficult though you have to juggle armies at the beginning. The most difficult thing is eliminating the Norsca and Chaos when your stacks at getting murdered by attrition up in the North.

Just bought this a few days ago and started a High Elf campaign but got bugged about 15 turns in where I couldn't end my turn.

Steam was selling all the WH1 DLC 50% off so I got Beastmen, Wood Elves and Norsca.

I sound poor but I just started TW:WH 1 the other day (It was in my backlog for ages). I'm pretty impressed. I started out as Von Carstein. Love the flying units, especially for sieges. Sucks I don't seem to get any archers or catapults, but love how my armies replenish after battles and I can raise new units anywhere in my provinces

Had some ridiculously close battles where I don't even know how I ended up winning. Those hero units can make all the difference

Will end up buying TW:WH 2

Just started a wh2 run. TK are interesting, but I don't like how they play out. Early game is boring, then they snowball in a really ugly way. Full stacks for nothing that quickly is crazy. Also they don't have an ideal option for murking enemy lords.

Going to try something else next. Probably skaven. Shit-tier infantry backed by dumb siege weapons sounds fun. And I'm hoping their assasins+gutter runners work out ok.

Honest question - If I love Starcraft 2, would I like Total War Warhammer 1&2.

I know its different, but it is completely different in every way?

I haven't gotten tomb kings dlc yet. I remember them in tabletop as being a light-armor/mobility nation with cool shock units. How do they compare in TW?

ogres and chaos dwarfs when
[/QUOTE]
I had a Tomb King army back in the day. They had the most fun rules and I felt like they were the most flexible list. Unfortunately they were way powered back then and even when you totally outplayed your opponent they would bounce off everything more often then not

Honest question - If I love Starcraft 2, would I like Total War Warhammer 1&2.

I know its different, but it is completely different in every way?

Yeah it's night and day. TW battles can be a long, grinding slog. Your units aren't that responsive and while it's basically 'this unit beats that unit', it's all about foresight and keen positioning on the battlefield and taking the right troops into battle. Plus most of the game is spent on the world map building armies, managing your economy, getting diplomacy done and developing your towns

That said I'd think anyone who likes strategy games couldn't help but love the TW games.

Yeah it's night and day. TW battles can be a long, grinding slog. Your units aren't that responsive and while it's basically 'this unit beats that unit', it's all about foresight and keen positioning on the battlefield and taking the right troops into battle. Plus most of the game is spent on the world map building armies, managing your economy, getting diplomacy done and developing your towns

That said I'd think anyone who likes strategy games couldn't help but love the TW games.

Intriguing.

The only strategy games I've ever played are Warcraft 2, Starcraft, C&C Generals, and Starcraft 2.

Will look for these Warhammer games when they're on a Steam sale.

Back