Toronto Rebukes Retiree after He Built Stairs for City Park on His Own

Heart's in the right place and the stairs look nice. But it's a real liability to the city and they have to get rid of them. One lawsuit from a busted ankle and all of a sudden 30k or so looks pretty damn cheap.

The old guys steps also look to exceed 7" each from the pictures and thats against regulation. and also look at the bottom pad that is raised up 1' from the ground. If it was done within standards, you are looking at 10 steps with at least a 5' concrete landing at the top and at the bottom. Looks like a half ass job by the old man
What's your point? This still shouldn't take more than 3 days max. Grade, compact gravel, set the form, tie rebar, pour. I mean Jesus, you guys are making this out to be some complicated project and no matter how you spin in, it's not.

Anyone remember Action Park in New Jersey back in the day? I don't but I saw a documentary on it so I am kinda an expert. When you let people build shit without permits you can get into stupidity quickly. Here was one of their great ideas in the form of a water slide that almost everyone got hurt on.
nrhpwzup4bdnwm8308ia.jpg

Well i kinda dont give a fuck cause I still see folks here in America getting arrested for selling bottled water in the parks.

I see lil girls getting their lemonade stands kicked over cause folks want to tax every gotdamn thing.

I see less and less CO-Op's and farmers markets out here.

Folkss that dont want to rely on the city for utilities are getting the business end of a stick.

Nah... Fuck them stairs, B.

Well i kinda dont give a fuck cause I still see folks here in America getting arrested for selling bottled water in the parks.

I see lil girls getting their lemonade stands kicked over cause folks want to tax every gotdamn thing.

I see less and less CO-Op's and farmers markets out here.

Folkss that dont want to rely on the city for utilities are getting the business end of a stick.

Nah... Fuck them stairs, B.
Do you live in a mall? In my town we have tons of Co-Ops and farmers markets. Its hard not to kick a little girl's lemonade stand over when you see one though.

Lol. Some of you have no idea of the waste up here.

travelling-light-big-blue-ring.jpg

That blue pos was $470 000, and nobody wanted it, but we got it anyways. Fuck you Calgary tax payers. Yay!

1837872.jpg

This unnecessary piece of crap ran us $24.5 mil. Designer, materials and labour from overseas. You guessed it - nobody wanted that either. Bend over!

Both piss me right off whenever I see em. Gonna have a drink now. Lol

That blue pos was $470 000, and nobody wanted it, but we got it anyways. Fuck you Calgary tax payers. Yay!

1837872.jpg

This unnecessary piece of crap ran us $24.5 mil. Designer, materials and labour from overseas. You guessed it - nobody wanted that either. Bend over!

Didn't that shit balloon past the 50mil mark? What a craptastic bridge, they had issues with it from day 1. I'm glad I don't have to drive past it often.
The ring thing came to be from some bullshit law that they have to spend a certain percentage of constuction to "artwork". The fish along the glemore underpasses by Macleod trail is another example of this. I could think over a lot better things to spend that percentage on "artwork" wise that would actually have some function to it like musical rumble strips or something.

Do you live in a mall? In my town we have tons of Co-Ops and farmers markets. Its hard not to kick a little girl's lemonade stand over when you see one though.
The point i am making is that for them city folk they are getting harder and harder to find.

Lets see. Maybe not 65k but you are at least looking at 30k. Inspection fee, contract to structural engineer and soils engineer to inspect the ground condition, contractor fee, concrete work cost a lot of money not to mention paying the fee for forming it, adding in foundation and adding in handrails. The picture only shows portion of the step but I ready see 7 steps so it could be spanning much more
It's the government, they're already paying these guys so fees etc shouldnt be considered costs. It's design, materials, and labor. $65K is ridiculous

The point i am making is that for them city folk they are getting harder and harder to find.
I hear you. I am sick at home and have been sherdoggin it all day so I am a bit trigger happy.

Didn't that shit balloon past the 50mil mark? What a craptastic bridge, they had issues with it from day 1. I'm glad I don't have to drive past it often.
The ring thing came to be from some bullshit law that they have to spend a certain percentage of constuction to "artwork". The fish along the glemore underpasses by Macleod trail is another example of this. I could think over a lot better things to spend that percentage on "artwork" wise that would actually have some function to it like musical rumble strips or something.
I don't know about the final cost, but do know it went 17 months past schedule, the non water proof lights (wtf?) need to be swapped out and there are other issues with it. Not bad for a pedestrian bridge that is within 500 yards of two other ones. Just dumb. I'm with you on functional artwork. Like a statue that explodes if a politician touches it. That would be great.

This is more about gov'ts wanting to control spending and not see incursions to their budget items. Even the backlogged ones. And protecting city worker/union jobs.

Years back I remember when in Toronto they claimed not to have the budget for planting flowers around various city parks and other areas. A citizens group decided to pull together volunteers and they got donated flowers and installed them all around the city.

City parks workers said that was city work and they should not have done it and went around and pulled all the flowers and threw them away. I remember when one city worker was interviewed he basically said either the city should find the budget to do it or we should do without.

I don't know about the final cost, but do know it went 17 months past schedule, the non water proof lights (wtf?) need to be swapped out and there are other issues with it. Not bad for a pedestrian bridge that is within 500 yards of two other ones. Just dumb. I'm with you on functional artwork. Like a statue that explodes if a politician touches it. That would be great.
Druh Farrel whored hard for that bridge. Can't just have a normal one going into sunnyside/kennsington now...

1837872.jpg

We got a snake bridge, but everyone kinda loves it including me.
39-bridge-small1.jpg

The tail rattles in the wind too
AA3.JPG

Freakin hate Toronto..im waiting for it to break off and sink into lake Ontario

This is more about gov'ts wanting to control spending and not see incursions to their budget items. Even the backlogged ones. And protecting city worker/union jobs.

Years back I remember when in Toronto they claimed not to have the budget for planting flowers around various city parks and other areas. A citizens group decided to pull together volunteers and they got donated flowers and installed them all around the city.

City parks workers said that was city work and they should not have done it and went around and pulled all the flowers and threw them away. I remember when one city worker was interviewed he basically said either the city should find the budget to do it or we should do without.
They're fucking cunts. I was in a union for 5 years and the only people it protected was dumbfucks like this. I watched a guy literally draw watches for the last half an hour of work and draw in the hands for how much time was left. When the owner asked him what the fuck he was doing, he filed a grievance and they made the owner go to anger management. Unions and/or city jobs can be a serious fucking joke sometimes.

Wtf does the blue ring do?

1837872.jpg

Back