Toronto Rebukes Retiree after He Built Stairs for City Park on His Own

Orgasmo

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
TLDR: Man complained to city officials after a couple of people slipped and fell on the public park embankment. He was told it would cost taxpayers anywhere from $65,000 to $150,000 for the project. He found the price tag outrageous and built it on his own for $550, but is now being asked to take it down as it wasn't approved.

While his intentions were certainly noble, should this kind of unauthorized project be encouraged?

A Canadian pensioner built a set of stairs at his local park for just C$550 when the city estimated it would cost at least C$65,000 ($51,500, £40,000). But instead of a thank you, Toronto has blocked off access to the steps and asked Adi Astl, 73, to take them down. Before the stairs were installed, Mr Astl said a few people had fallen down the steep muddy embankment to the park.

Mr Astl said he took matters into his own hands after his local councillor told him about the city's price tag. "To me, the safety of people is more important than money," Mr Astl told CTV News. "So if the city is not willing to do it, I have to do it myself."

He said the whole project took him and his neighbours about 14 hours. Mr Astl's councillor, Justin Di Ciano, said the official estimate, which the city said could go from $65,000 to $150,000, was outlandish.

City staff say they are re-assessing the estimate, which was based on a staircase built at another park.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40676256

Its not up to code and too small but he made a good point how it can be done for cheap. 65k for steps...lmao fuck outta here

Honestly don't see his steps lasting for very long.

People don't seem to understand when you're building something for the public it's supposed to last as long as possible... not just till you die.

Wooden steps aren't going to last very long without any kind of preventative maintenance.

Last edited:
Get it inspected, if it fails scrap it. But yeah, like Rational Poster and Overpressure said, public structures need to be bulletproof.

Last edited:
lol @ anyone who thinks that governments are motivated by efficiency and/or common sense

Its not up to code and too small but he made a good point how it can be done for cheap. 65k for steps...lmao fuck outta here
Yup. Can tell by looking at it. Stringers are to close for tread width, some level issues going on, insufficient hand rail, ect. God I'd hate to see a side profile shot of it, would probably trigger the shit out of me(occupational hazard).

Honestly don't see his steps lasting for very long.

People don't seem to understand when you're build something for the public it's supposed to last as long as possible... not just till you die.

Wooden steps aren't going to last very long without any kind of preventative maintenance.

They could replace the steps every month for the next 10 years for $65k.

No wonder houses start at a million around here given that stairs start at 65k.

No way this shit happens in Canada. C$65,000 ($51,500, £40,000)? They are not corrupt. Only third world shitholes pulls those kind of stunts. Obviously fake news. Right @potemkin723 . All hail Canada!

Just saw the pic. A waste of $550, but A for effort old timer.

Just saw the pic. A waste of $550, but A for effort old timer.
How does it stack up?
ZjC9kxG.jpg

3AfRytt.jpg

x0ojTUA.jpg

rJO077C.jpg

vosaCCw.jpg

Why would it cost $65k?

I'm not sure what they had planned, but I doubt you couldn't get anything meaningful built by a professional contractor for less than 20-30K.

I had a very modest set of cement steps built on my property a few years ago for about 6-7K.

Nowhere near as steep or as many steps. Also nothing I would consider as aesthetically pleasing for a public space that's going to last generations.

How does it stack up?
ZjC9kxG.jpg

3AfRytt.jpg

x0ojTUA.jpg

rJO077C.jpg

vosaCCw.jpg
While I wasn't expecting anything like pictured above, for a bit more cash he could have got something better designed and executed. Or halve his stringer budget in order to put up railings on both sides. That way when the stairs inevitably turn into a sideway seesaw you'll have something to hang on to.

I still admire his initiative. It's the kind of thing my pops would do out of boredom and to get away from my mother.

Back