top ten head gear

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by maravillin, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Gonzaginator

Gonzaginator Brown Belt

The older model doesn't have the same nose protection, and different cooling for your head. The fit is also different (the new one is a one size fits all). And the new version doesn't have the chin protection. So a few things changed.

2. Gonzaginator

Gonzaginator Brown Belt

That's the one i got, in blue. :icon_chee

3. GFG

GFG Green Belt

I think the whole AIBA thing has more to do with marketing then anything else, and if you want to being in the official gear of the olympics you probably have to make a bid against all the other companies, and it all comes down to politics and money more then safety.

4. Timm S

Timm S Yellow Belt

Rado,

I've had/used them both.

The first one (Olympia model) is the older (20+ yr old) model that is made of the same Bayfex material. The chin protection is ... marginal although there is some.

The second (Avantguard model) is the newer (this decade) model that I much prefer. The minimal chin protection is gone however, like all the Avantguard versions, there is more padding in the forehead area, better venting (keeps you cooler) and they did something with the fit against the forehead so that the sweat doesn't run down into your eyes as much.

All that being said I really like the Regular Avantguard the best. In the Face & Cheek version, I don't like that the cheek protection extension kind of is visable in my periferal vision although it does not hinder seeing anything coming at you. I also seem to get hit more in the face when sparring with the face & cheek versus the regular headguard. I don't know if thats because I know I have the extra protection so I get lazy moving my head, perhaps my sparring partner sees I have face protection and lets loose a bit more, perhaps the cheek protection frames the target (i.e. my nose) better or perhaps a combo of all 3.

Finally check out the pricing at Totiro-USA as they ussually are a few bucks cheaper on most items (currently $4.00 cheaper on the Avantguard Face & Cheek). If you sign up for thier mailing list they also run specials just about every month.

5. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

Thanks for the detailed explanation Timm.

6. Cancun66

Cancun66 Banned Banned

I have been using TopTen's Full Protection headgear for years and I love it. It fits like a second skin and I have good vision. It is easy to slip punches what is difficult with other, bulky training guards. A friend of mine is using it together with a facemask they sell as an add-on since she has a sensitive nose. It makes her look like an astronaut ninja LOL

7. Woldog

Woldog Boxer

In the 8 years before your comment the TS probably suffered 30,000 blows to the head. Your comment came to late :'(