top ten head gear

Get the second one. That's the new version that just came out. But this is a one size fits all, which sucks, because it's Medium. So if you have a bigger than average head this one won't fit you. I went with the other one instead thats AIBA approved, without the nose protection thing.

But again if you have a medium sized head go get the 2nd one if you wanna get one of those 2.

Are you getting this for competition or sparring? If for sparring, do they really offer as much protection as a good leather head guard? These Top Ten look very similar to Taekwondo head guards. I know Taekwondo use Macho (inject foam stuff) but the style is very similar.

I have the one without chin protection. Depending on the size of your nose it may not protect it all that well. The top ten head gear tends to be very form fitting, and offers a pretty thin layer of protection around your head. The protection is great, but nose protection probably isn't too great. You could get the face shield in addition to the headgear. There are combo deals on ebay by the same guy who runs fighters inc I believe. Just ebay search top ten headgear and you should find it.

Are you getting this for competition or sparring? If for sparring, do they really offer as much protection as a good leather head guard? These Top Ten look very similar to Taekwondo head guards. I know Taekwondo use Macho (inject foam stuff) but the style is very similar.

Top Ten offers a lot more protection than those other leather headguards.

Also you can't use this one (with chin & nose protection) for competition. That's also why i went with the other one that doesn't have chin and nose protection (Top Ten Avantgarde). You can use it in the amateurs.

Top Ten offers a lot more protection than those other leather headguards.

Also you can't use this one (with chin & nose protection) for competition. That's also why i went with the other one that doesn't have chin and nose protection (Top Ten Avantgarde). You can use it in the amateurs.

So even though it looks much thinner the Top Ten offers more protection than Winning, Haybusa, Fairtex and similar head guards?

Does it shift around when you sweat? Since it seems made of foam/rubber and the macho stuff (injected foam) shifts a lot when you sweat I thought it could be the case with these Top Ten as well.

I have the one without chin protection. Depending on the size of your nose it may not protect it all that well. The top ten head gear tends to be very form fitting, and offers a pretty thin layer of protection around your head. The protection is great, but nose protection probably isn't too great. You could get the face shield in addition to the headgear. There are combo deals on ebay by the same guy who runs fighters inc I believe. Just ebay search top ten headgear and you should find it.

So nose protection is not good? Kind of pointless getting the full protection version then.
About the cage, even though they say it's nearly indestructible I still would be concerned of it breaking and getting sharp plastic pieces into somebody's eyes.

gonzaginator, are you recommending the avant garde, or the one with the chin protection? which one is newer?

gonzaginator, are you recommending the avant garde, or the one with the chin protection? which one is newer?

Sent you a PM. :icon_chee

They're both new. It's just that the Avantgarde, the one i have, is more for competition. It doesn't have the chin & cheek protectors. The one you mentioned (2nd link in your first post) is just for sparring, preventing injuries.

The Top Ten's are probably better than everything besides Winnings, and I'm guessing its comparable to the other big boxing brands Cleto Reyes and Grants. My gear whore background; I have used Hayabusa, Twins, KOFG, Top Ten, Fightgear, and Winnings. The Top Ten's are easily better than all except Winnings. It was actually kind of bad luck that I got a sweet deal on my Winnings fg5000 shortly after getting my Top Ten's so they really haven't been used as much. I'm deathly afraid of nose, and dental injuries so I really don't have much experience with the Top Tens, but at a glance the thickness is a bit thin, and my nose does stick out a bit from the headguard. Everyone I have loaned the headguard to says it protects them great however.

Rado. To answer your question, Top Ten has been used in the olympics a feel years back, and is AIBA approved. This headgear is designed for the training of full contact sports like boxing/kickboxing, and not TKD.

Last edited:
Well it's a fact that it offers a lot more protection than any other material / HG out there. Besides, the Winning HG is made of synthetic leather i belive. So as far as durability etc. the Top Ten is on a different planet.

Scientific testing shows that Bayflex

Well it's a fact that it offers a lot more protection than any other material / HG out there. Besides, the Winning HG is made of synthetic leather i belive. So as far as durability etc. the Top Ten is on a different planet.

Well, in all honesty, the fact Top Ten publishes results of some supposedly scientific test which happened in some lab who knows where doesn't make it a fact that it offers more protection than others. More like marketing than fact.
It's already said that the nose protection is not that great.

Having said that I will try to find a store which cares it and try it on and ask a trainer partner to punch me to find out myself. It has enough positive reviews to make it interesting.

One guy mentioned how he thinks the nose protection might not be all that great if you have a big nose. How is that any different from any other headgear? Has nothing to do with the material. Just the way the HG was designed and shaped.

Top Ten is a legit company, all their gear have been used in the 1996 and 2000 olympics. Buy some of their gloves or their headguards and then see for yourself.

I have to agree with gozaginator, its easy to put up scientific findings and to hype a product, but the fact it was in the Olympics and AIBA approved is not imo. AIBA has a ton of rules and regulations to ensure the safety of its athletes at the Olympics.

Ok fair enough. As I said I will check it out in person.

But can anybody talk about why there are 2 models with nose protection? Is one just the newer model or are there 2 variations and which one is "best"?

By far my favorite head guards.

I got this one a few years back

head-guard-avantgarde-black-fighters_photo_4060-1.jpg

Back