Top ten boxing gloves review

Plenty of gloves, and specifically contest gloves are like that. The Top Tens are all pretty much the same as their AIBA contest gloves. Unless you actually have to strain to close your fist, I'd rather a glove naturally be open so you can catch/parry shots than already be in a closed fist position.

This, your comment on that makes me think you don't have a lot of experience with gloves; you should see my JC gloves, I love them because they are so open. Also, the only way having to clench your fist would cause holes, is if you have long finger nails... I do BJJ so my nails are always short, and I have never run into a problem with holes in the finger pocket.

Just an example:

Shevlin
Mississauga-20120816-00199.jpg

Lemarr
Mississauga-20120816-00200.jpg

JC
Mississauga-20120816-00201.jpg

Rival RB50 bag gloves
Mississauga-20120816-00203.jpg

Rival RS10V sparring gloves, these gloves suck to parry punches with; we were doing parry drills in class, the instructor kept telling me to open my hand, but I just couldn't...
Mississauga-20120816-00202.jpg

Last edited:
This, your comment on that makes me think you don't have a lot of experience with gloves; you should see my JC gloves, I love them because they are so open. Also, the only way having to clench your fist would cause holes, is if you have long finger nails... I do BJJ so my nails are always short, and I have never run into a problem with holes in the finger pocket.

Thanks for your photos. I also train BJJ so my nails are always short too. My hand is also quite small so it cant be the length of my fingers. Actually I have quite a bit of experience with gloves and I agree that gloves should be somewhat open. But the top ten gloves are almost 90 degrees open, and due to the nature of the foam, it takes far more effort to keep them closed than other gloves.

Here is a shot of my Left hand glove:

827Dh.jpg

b1ty0.jpg

You can actually see the leather protruding where I am struggling to keep my fist closed. It just so happened that my right glove ripped first.

Now lets compare how open the top tens are compared to the rivals:

1bUhc.jpg

Almost 90 degrees

mdNX4.jpg

Notice how there are no visible places where my fingers are protruding from the effort. Im not saying top tens are "too open". What im saying is that they should be putting some better leather on the glove.

Valid point tho! Thanks for the post!

Few things:

- Thanks for showing us what the bayfill looks like inside.

- There have been posters that mention that these gloves are hard to close a fist, which is likely why the "low" number of knockouts with them.

- I always keep my gloves in my bag, however unzipped and always spray the inside of my lender gloves to the stinkies that borrow them. Have done this for many years and have not had leather or vinyl gloves effected by it.

That said, these were probably just a fluke poorly made pair. I've never heard of these gloves having any issues; my only issue with them is personally not liking the look or construction of them. Contact the BBB if you want.

It's hard to imagine 6 month of just sparring with them could have them end up looking like that.

are you sure it wasn't accidentally left outside to get run over by a bus or maybe someone dog got in your gym bag and chewed the hell out of your gloves. :icon_chee

is there some padding at the fingertips? to protect the leather from you fingering it.

It's hard to imagine 6 month of just sparring with them could have them end up looking like that.

I dont know what to tell you...its just very low grade leather and the paint comes off like nothing...especially when you are punching and clinching with sweaty dudes. After a sparring session with my friend who has the exact same gloves, my white rashguard is COVERED in red marks.

Last edited:
are you sure it wasn't accidentally left outside to get run over by a bus or maybe someone dog got in your gym bag and chewed the hell out of your gloves. :icon_chee

is there some padding at the fingertips? to protect the leather from you fingering it.

Haha yes im sure! I take my gear very seriously...thats why im writing this review, because i KNOW they havnt been abused...just poor construction. And no, there is no padding at the fingertips.

Haha yes im sure! I take my gear very seriously...thats why im writing this review, because i KNOW they havnt been abused...just poor construction. And no, there is no padding at the fingertips.

lol then that is the issue the fingertips need to be reinforced to add extra protection for the leather, i think we solved the issue :) and maybe a softer foam to make it easier to make a fist. now you can talk to top ten and tell them to make their upgrades so this never happens again.

- There have been posters that mention that these gloves are hard to close a fist, which is likely why the "low" number of knockouts with them.
There arent more KOs with any other AIBA gloves than with Top Tens. Id much rather have a glove with that kind of design where they don't close your fist for you like those Rivals do.

The Top Tens are naturally easy to open up, but at the same time I really don't see the complaint that they're hard to make a fist in. This simply isn't true. I don't know where that is coming from. I've not owned a pair, only tried on friends, but have fought in them.

Those Rivals on the other hand look a pain to open up and catch shots with. I'd probably be straining my hand constantly if I used them to spar. It seems self-evident to me that youd want a glove to naturally be open rather than making your hand into a fist for you, after all youll spend more time not-punching and making sure you can defend yourself than you will punching in a fight.

lol then that is the issue the fingertips need to be reinforced to add extra protection for the leather, i think we solved the issue :) and maybe a softer foam to make it easier to make a fist. now you can talk to top ten and tell them to make their upgrades so this never happens again.

Yea definitely. But im through dealing with TOP TEN Canada. If i was gonna do this, id go strait to the manufacturer in germany. Does anyone know how I can contact them?

There arent more KOs with any other AIBA gloves than with Top Tens. Id much rather have a glove with that kind of design where they don't close your fist for you like those Rivals do.

I wonder if this contributed to the low KOs with top ten headgear for the olympics in which they were official.

I wonder if this contributed to the low KOs with top ten headgear for the olympics in which they were official.
I don't know how you got that from what I said.

http://www.london2012.com/boxing/statistics/

London 2012

96.65% of fights went the distance. 5 fights the ref stopped it, 2 were walkovers and 1 was a DQ. 231 fights went to the judges and no true KOs.

All headguards and gloves were Adidas.

I don't know how you got that from what I said.

http://www.london2012.com/boxing/statistics/

London 2012

96.65% of fights went the distance. 5 fights the ref stopped it, 2 were walkovers and 1 was a DQ. 231 fights went to the judges and no true KOs.

All headguards and gloves were Adidas.

I think he was referring to the three Olympic where they used Top Ten gear.

I dont even remember posting that last night at 4am, my bad. I am a dick at 4am.

Dont think there's going to be any significant difference in KO rate between Top Ten and Adidas gear.

I think he was referring to the three Olympic where they used Top Ten gear.

Yes, they were advertising how when their headgear was used for the Olympics there was only on KO. Presumably Top Ten gloves were also used, so it could be that the headgear had very little to do with it.

at the latest Olympics with Adidas there were 0 KOs. I don't think the gear has much to do with IMO

Back