Top MMA Strikers vs World Class Strikers

DaClutch65

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Who are the best strikers around in your opinion.. Stephen Thompson giorgio petrosyan, tyrone spong, Conor Mcgregor, Rico Verhoeven, Stipe Miocic, Cody G I mean i think there are legit strikers involved in mma who could compete vs the top notch guys in Kickboxing, Dont forget Stipe already knocked out Alisitar Overeen. With Mcgregors power he would be like Overreem at leightweight he might be down on the scorecard but it only takes 1. Specifically Venom Page, WB and Mcgregor would do well in striking matches vs anyone at there weight who kickboxes

Depends the weight class. High weight classes that are shallow MMA guys can do well, but the lower weight classes are full of killers. Puenkon, Panpayak, Thanonchai, Yodwicha, Kaew. I don't see any MMA guys standing a chance against them.

We already had a dude like Venom Page and Thompson fight in Glory. He got eaten alive by the top guys. The real talented guys are at the lower weight classes, 70kg and under. Under FTR, which would be fairest because it allows the use of all stand up strikes, MMA fighters are not going to beat the top nak muay except for the occasional fluke here and there.

GGG Vitaly Mayweather Conor

Lower than 65 kg. Too many Muay Thai fighters and difficult to beat them.

It took 15 years and a zillion accounts before someome went with Shercat. That's surprising.

Striking in MMA is very different to striking in kickboxing or MuayThai. The ref doesn't break up the clinch in MMA like MuayThai.

In an MMA fight with no ground game effective clinchers like Saen Paranchai, Yodwicha and Thongchai would always dominate.

What difference does that make?
The ref constantly breaking up the clinch. In MMA the ref doesn't break up the clinch unless they've been against the cage doing nothing for ages. A fighter like Thongchai would just lock on and its game over unless his opponent can break free and can manage to KO thong before thong clinches back up again but it's unlikely.

Striking in MMA is very different to striking in kickboxing or MuayThai. The ref doesn't break up the clinch in MMA like MuayThai.

In an MMA fight with no ground game effective clinchers like Saen Paranchai, Yodwicha and Thongchai would always dominate.

you sir, are a moron

'in an mma fight with no ground game' ??????
sure, that sounds as an mma fight. :confused:

wow you are such an ass kisser of thai fighters that you cant see the drivel you write. the very definition of mma is the ground game.........mma blew up after the ufc became known and it was dominated by (smaller) fighters who took their (bigger) opponents down and submitted them.

it's just as stupid as saying: 'in a muay thai fight without striking, the american wrestlers would bla bla bla'

go back to sleep please.

I'm a die hard Muay Thai fan, and IMO it's overrated as a striking art, but underrated as a fighting art.

Who are the best strikers around in your opinion.. Stephen Thompson giorgio petrosyan, tyrone spong, Conor Mcgregor, Rico Verhoeven, Stipe Miocic, Cody G I mean i think there are legit strikers involved in mma who could compete vs the top notch guys in Kickboxing, Dont forget Stipe already knocked out Alisitar Overeen. With Mcgregors power he would be like Overreem at leightweight he might be down on the scorecard but it only takes 1. Specifically Venom Page, WB and Mcgregor would do well in striking matches vs anyone at there weight who kickboxes
Very good question. I've wondered about this myself and have come up with the following idea:
MMA striking is very developed at this point, with many great representatives like TJ Dillashaw, Cody Garbrandt, Dom Cruz, McGregor and WB. It is also different from MT or Kickboxing striking because of two big factors; takedowns and small gloves. Takedowns make people reluctant to throw combos and spam kicks against good wrestlers with commitment. Small gloves mean defending is much harder, shots slip through the guard, people back up rather than absorb the strikes, and much more damage is dealt on impact. This results in a more punch-heavy, distance-oriented, in-and-out style (think Conor McGregor).
I believe this style, with some tweaks, would work wonders in kickboxing. Kickboxers throw with reckless abandon often, finish with a low kick, then seemingly shell up to await the counter sequence. Someone like McGregor would best many such fighters imo.
One thing which shook my belief in MMA striking is Dominick Cruz's recent loss to Cody. Cody is a good, traditional amateur boxer, and he played with the Giorgio Petrosyan of MMA striking for 5 rounds...

At this point, I have no idea what to think. The only way to find out is to have guys like TJ Dillashaw and Conor McGregor train only for striking and square off against a kickboxer either in striking sparring or a kickboxing fight to perform a reality check.
Ultimately, I doubt MMA can cough up a striker of the caliber of Giorgio Petrosyan or Buakaw, but it could come close.
I expect lots of KB and MT fans will swarm me for ever daring to compare Dom Cruz to Petrosyan, etc etc etc., but I stand behind my words.
Discuss away, guys. :D

I'd also like to add a question: is there a world class muay thai fighter or kickboxer who has transitioned to a major MMA circuit like UFC or Bellator and found some success? Overeem doesn't count.

I'd also like to add a question: is there a world class muay thai fighter or kickboxer who has transitioned to a major MMA circuit like UFC or Bellator and found some success? Overeem doesn't count.

Does One FC count?

Cruz would lose to local american fighters under mt rules in a ring imo, I think his style is very mma orientated. Garbrant would do a lot better but he doesn't really have much of a kicking arsenal. Someone like Chad Mendes could be top 10 easily, I feel like he'd ko a lot guys that would try and trade with him.

Last edited:
Does One FC count?

Knew someone would post this :D I've seen it, and while I'm impressed by Dejdamrong, I can't help but feel ONE FC lacks talent, especially in his division. I'd be really really really curious to see him against some top 10 UFC fighters in his weight class, but It likely won't happen...

Igor and Cro Cop. Probably no coincidence theyre both from East Europe and have access to elite wrestling training.

Back