Movies TOP GUN: MAVERICK (Named Best Picture by National Board of Review, post #1201)

If you have seen TOP GUN: MAVERICK, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Update: July 3, 2018

Miles Teller Cast as Goose's Son in Tom Cruise's TOP GUN: MAVERICK

7eFAwcc.jpg

Miles Teller has nabbed the role of Goose’s son in Top Gun 2. Teller will star opposite Tom Cruise in the long-in-the works sequel that sees Cruise, reprising his role as the hot-shot pilot with the call sign Maverick.

Joseph Kosinski, who directed Cruise in sci-fi thriller Oblivion, is directing the movie, which is also bringing back Val Kilmer's rival pilot code-named Iceman.

The role of Goose's son was a hot one as many of young Hollywood’s finest were chasing it, even traveling to Cruise’s home in Clearwater, Florida for the testing process.

Teller beat out Nicholas Hoult, Glen Powell for the role. Dylan O'Brien and Austin Butler were among those in the mix in a previous stage.

Teller will now play the son of Maverick's wingman and best pal, Goose. Played by Anthony Edwards in the Tony Scott-directed original, the character provided an emotional spine to the movie when he is killed by accident and Maverick blames himself.

Teller last starred in the pair of gritty dramas, Thank You for Your Service, and Only the Brave, the true-life firefighting movie that Kosinski directed. The Spectacular Now and Whiplash helped establish his chops early on.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/miles-teller-play-gooses-son-top-gun-sequel-1124819

I think this means more Drama less Comedy

While Miles can do Comedy I think his main strength is Drama

I think this means more Drama less Comedy

While Miles can do Comedy I think his main strength is Drama

I sure as shit hope Top Gun 2 isn't a comedy. Wait, are Lord and Miller directing?

How the hell is Val supposed to be in this movie if he sounds like this? My heart goes out to him, but for real, you can't put him in the movie like this. He sounds terrible! :eek:

(This appears to be taken from just a week or so ago)

Get better Iceman, but Christ, I'm genuinely curious as to how they're going to pull this off.

He really is turning into Marlon Brando.

Well part 1 had a bunch of comedy in it

I think they will play this movie more straight like Creed was

The tone of Creed is exactly what I was picturing and hoping for from day one.

Top Gun had humorous moments, but they were all grounded in reality and a serious story. The same way there are funny moments in Rocky, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Aliens, even First Blood. There are moments to smile and laugh, but the movie is serious business.

I wanted to watch this, but now that Miles Teller is main character, I will not.

Don't get people saying Miles Teller is the reason they won't see this.

I could see you not loving him as an actor, (ok, after Whiplash I can't) but why the hate?

please don't suck

If they used REAL jets and keep the CGI to an absolute bare minimum (which based on what Cruise has said, that's how it's gonna be) then this movie will be extremely exciting no matter what. If they start plugging CGI jets in full bore, this film will be a total loss. (It's like using CGI fire or CGI blood splatter.....it ALWAYS looks like shit)

Add on top of that that Cruise has said they're bringing back Harold Faltermeyer to score, and using Danger Zone, he's checking off the list of everything I've been hoping for so far. I suppose a Meg Ryan cameo would blow my socks off, so let's hope for that too. Maybe even a Merlin cameo as well.

Kenny Loggins said he wants to re-record Danger Zone for the new movie. I'm ok with that, as long as it still sounds like it's from the 80s. If they do a modern pop rock spin on it, I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

Don't get people saying Miles Teller is the reason they won't see this.

I could see you not loving him as an actor, (ok, after Whiplash I can't) but why the hate?
Yeah. It's gotta be Tom Cruise as the main character.

I'm curious what planes they showcase.

If they used REAL jets and keep the CGI to an absolute bare minimum (which based on what Cruise has said, that's how it's gonna be) then this movie will be extremely exciting no matter what. If they start plugging CGI jets in full bore, this film will be a total loss. (It's like using CGI fire or CGI blood splatter.....it ALWAYS looks like shit)

It's not as if fighter jets have human body movement subtleties that when omitted from Batman v Superman look fake.

No way this is gonna live up to the hype, even if it will be a good movie.

No way to bring back 80's nostalgia unless it's Stranger Things (overrated btw).

It's not as if fighter jets have human body movement subtleties that when omitted from Batman v Superman look fake.

Yeah, but you can definitely tell real from CGI, even if it's just a jet. Seeing a real jet on screen, doing things a real jet can do, it's just so damn exciting. Seeing a bunch of CGI jets flying around is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

I'm hoping any CGI they use is only to enhance the practical effects.

Add on top of that that Cruise has said they're bringing back Harold Faltermeyer to score, and using Danger Zone, he's checking off the list of everything I've been hoping for so far. I suppose a Meg Ryan cameo would blow my socks off, so let's hope for that too. Maybe even a Merlin cameo as well.

Kenny Loggins said he wants to re-record Danger Zone for the new movie. I'm ok with that, as long as it still sounds like it's from the 80s. If they do a modern pop rock spin on it, I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

Dont bbe like that homes.

Top Gun as a comedy? How about Top Gun as mystery/suspense, martial arts/spy movie? Jack Reacher meets Mission Impossible. It'd be cool if there were cameos by Jack Reacher and Ethan Hunt.

Update: July 20, 2018

Jennifer Connelly in Talks to Play the Female Lead in TOP GUN: MAVERICK

mgSrRK5.jpg

Jennifer Connelly might be taking a ride on the highway to the danger zone. The actress, who won an Oscar for 2001’s A Beautiful Mind, is in early negotiations to join Tom Cruise in Paramount and Skydance’s Top Gun sequel, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Cruise is reprising his role as hotshot Navy pilot Maverick in the sequel to the 1986 movie that is being directed by Joseph Kosinski. Kosinski directed the actor in his sci-fi thriller, Oblivion. Jerry Bruckheimer will produce.

The movie recently cast Miles Teller as the son of Goose, Maverick’s wingman, played by Anthony Edwards in the original movie. That role was the big get of the season for Hollywood’s young male actors.

If a deal makes, Connelly will play the movie’s female lead — a single mother who runs a local bar near the Navy base. The movie is on the runway for a September start of production in San Diego.

Connelly, whose credits range from The Rocketeer to Dark City to Noah, recently appeared in Kosinski’s firefighter drama, Only the Brave, and will be seen in Fox’s Alita: Battle Angel, which opens December.

Jennifer Connelly in Early Talks to Join Tom Cruise in 'Top Gun' Sequel

Back