Top-5 most influental and main cities today in the world?

Gregoire1

дезоксерибонулеиновая кислота
@purple
Reaction score
Rank top-5 global cities in the World today.
Assuming economical, cultural, political influence and strength,human capital, transport, level of life ect. Just which cities are contenders for "Capital of the World" lable?
Something like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

My rankings:
1. NYC
2. London
3. Tokyo
4. Paris
5. LA

HM: Singapore, HKong

Assuming economical, cultural, political influence and strength,human capital, transport, level of life ect. Just which cities are contenders for "Capital of the World" lable?
Something like this:

My rankings:
1. NYC
2. London
3. Tokyo
4. Paris
5. LA

I thought we were homies, no love for my city?

Shanghai represent, better than HK and only getting better

1 Detroit
2 Oakland
3 Baltimore
4 Stockton
5 Boise

Something like this:

My rankings:
1. NYC
2. London
3. Tokyo
4. Paris
5. LA

Historically I think London and Paris are top 1 and 2.

1. Tokyo
2. London
3. Paris
4. LA
5. Berlin
6. NYC

Historically I think London and Paris are top 1 and 2.

If we talk true historical influence , I think top-5 would be:
1. Rome
2. Istambul
3. London
4. Paris/Madrid
5. New York

If talk only modern era (1700-2020):
1a. London
1b. New York
3. Paris/Berlin
4. Rome (Vatican)
5. Moscow

Today:
1a New York
1b London
3 Tokyo
4 Paris
5 LA

In no particular order --

NYC
London
Tokyo
Beijing
Berlin or LA

1. Rome
2. Istambul
3. London
4. Paris/Madrid
5. New York

1a. London
1b. New York
3. Paris/Berlin
4. Rome (Vatican)
5. Moscow

Today:
1a New York
1b London
3 Tokyo
4 Paris
5 LA

As the saying goes all roads lead to Rome.

The thing about Paris is its contribution to fashion,architecture and Fine arts I think that lasted until the early 20th Century. I think if not for that they would be considered to havd lesser influence after the 1800s.

I am not a Historian though so I could be tottaly underestimating Paris here. I know they have signed some international treaties but that is not that Huge compared to London which is the seat of British Empire. And the Legacy of the British empire is still felt today.

They started the trend of building super cities like Mumbai, Honkie Kong,Singapore etc.

As the saying goes all roads lead to Rome.

The thing about Paris is its contribution to fashion,architecture and Fine arts I think that lasted until the early 20th Century. I think if not for that they would be considered to havd lesser influence after the 1800s.

I am not a Historian though so I could be tottaly underestimating Paris here. I know they have signed some international treaties but that is not that Huge compared to London which is the seat of British Empire. And the Legacy of the British empire is still felt today.

They started the trend of building super cities like Mumbai, Honkie Kong,Singapore etc.

Yes, British Empire is still exist in some sense: look and english language, look at influence which London have to Australia and Canada (huge countries). But today USA is Big Brother and UK are more like number 2,but inthe beginning of 20 century it wasnt the case.

I been living in NYC all my life, all I see is bum ass looking losers and rich people that look like they're wearing pajamas.

It's an overrated shit hole, nothing more.

Yes, British Empire is still exist in some sense: look and english language, look at influence which London have to Australia and Canada (huge countries). But today USA is Big Brother and UK are more like number 2,but inthe beginning of 20 century it wasnt the case.

Oh yeah even though the USA is sort of a product of the British Empire the Americans really did build their own identity and entered the world stage as a world power in 1898 when they invaded the Spanish Empire and established them selves as an alternative to the Brits.

After WW2 its all about USA.

The fact I can speak American English (not my first language ) and post in an American forum is a testament to the dominance of the American Empire.

Heck even my bloodline is directly influenced as my Great grand dad is an American soldier during the Filipino American War from an Irish and German immigrant family.

Speaking of Germany it seems Berlin got left behind in this discussions even though they are making waves as a cultural hub during the late 19th century and later Weimar period.

I guess instigating and then losing 2 world wars took its toll. Not to mention getting divided like a cake by the Soviets.

But the same cant be said about Tokyo Japan. I guess not being chopped into two governments like Berlin helped

1. Rome
2. Istambul
3. London
4. Paris/Madrid
5. New York

1a. London
1b. New York
3. Paris/Berlin
4. Rome (Vatican)
5. Moscow

Today:
1a New York
1b London
3 Tokyo
4 Paris
5 LA
lol, New York being top 5 in all of history.

I been living in NYC all my life, all I see is bum ass looking losers and rich people that look like they're wearing pajamas.

It's an overrated shit hole, nothing more.

Can still be influential despite being a dirty rat infested shit hole.

Without any research whatsoever:

1. New York
2. London
3. Tokyo
4. Paris
5. LA

Not a city, but silicon valley/ the bay area.

all good choices in the opening post. it's not a city, but if we're talking influential, you have to include the silicon valley. it's comprised of a bunch of small cities, but the silicon valley is where most of the world's money is, and where lots of world-changing decisions are made.

My Rankings

1. Washington D.C - Political Powerhouse, Museums/Monuments. Diversity, and Economy
2. New York City
3. London
4. Tokyo
5. Beijing

London
New York
Paris
Singapore
Tokyo/Hong Kong

Rising star in Dubai.

I feel like Berlin has surpassed Paris in a lot of ways over the past couple of decades.

Back