Top-5 Jones most competitive fights

Gregoire1

дезоксерибонулеиновая кислота
@purple
Reaction score
Give your opinion about his top-5 most competitive and close wins (Hammil excluded).

My opinion:
1. Gus
2. DC 1
3. Machida
4. DC 2
6. Bonnar

HW: Belfort, Evans, Gusmao

Last edited:
1. Gus
2. DC 1
3. Machida
4. DC 2
5. Vitor Belfort

Vitor had him in a DEEP armbar, and also was able to land a head kick or two on jones in the standup.

I would need to rewatch the rashad evans fight to see how competitive it was. rashad is the first fighter to take him to a decision in a 5 round fight.

It's really not that hard, only 4 fights even come close, considering he hasn't had many tough fights...

Gus
DC 1
Machida
DC 2
...then a bunch of fights

I'd say Rashad

1. Gus
2. Vitor
3. Machida

Jones owned in all the other fights. In the first Cormier fight he won 4 rounds and finished Cormier in the second.

TBH this is a tough list to fill...

Really, only one that was truly "competetive" was Gus.

DC did well for a while in their first fight but Jones pulled away in the last 2 rounds like Fukin' Usain Bolt.

Others only had moments of success surrounded by beatings.

Gus and Vitor are the only fighters who had a fucking prayer. Listing 5 is foolhardy.

How is Machida #3 when all he did was hit Jones with one good punch and then got stopped in the 1st?

1. Gus
2. DC 1
3. Machida
4. DC 2
5. Vitor Belfort

Vitor had him in a DEEP armbar, and also was able to land a head kick or two on jones in the standup.

I would need to rewatch the rashad evans fight to see how competitive it was. rashad is the first fighter to take him to a decision in a 5 round fight.

Rashad fight was not very competitive. He landed a couple shots on Jones (i forget which round) got super pumped up and looked to be getting some offense going... Only to get shut down again. 49-46 at best.

Jones owned in all the other fights. In the first Cormier fight he won 4 rounds and finished Cormier in the second.

Yeah but he gave Jones a battle the first 3 rounds, and was landing on him good. It also took Jones 4 roudns for him to wear DC down and get the takedown (not counting the trip in the 1st), and usually Jones gets takedowns with ease.

The 2nd fight DC took him down briefly, landed alot of clean left hooks, overhand rights, and uppercuts in the clinch which knocked his mouth piece out and backed up Jones against the cage.

They were competitive fights, Jones has said this himself

How is Machida #3 when all he did was hit Jones with one good punch and then got stopped in the 1st?

Machdia was stopped late into the 2nd round. And machida ws the first person to really land clean on Jones and tag him. Jones was backed up and nearly knocked down, from a 2-3 flurries of punches.

Yeah but he gave Jones a battle the first 3 rounds, and was landing on him good. It also took Jones 4 roudns for him to wear DC down and get the takedown (not counting the trip in the 1st), and usually Jones gets takedowns with ease.

The 2nd fight DC took him down briefly, landed alot of clean left hooks, overhand rights, and uppercuts in the clinch which knocked his mouth piece out and backed up Jones against the cage.

The first fight was not as competitive as most say imo. I thought Bones controlled it the entire fight and made DC quit in the fourth round. The second fight was much more competitive then the first fight I do agree with that, but Bones getting the KO finish pretty early makes it seem not as competitive as the Gus, Machida, and Belfort fights.

1. Gus
2. DC 1
3. Machida
4. DC 2
5. Vitor Belfort

And Rashad took one round actually.

Machida won 1st round in all scorecards.

I dont think DC land A LOT clean punches, just few and I had Jones winning before high-kick more comfortably than in Machida fight or during first 3 rounds of first DC fight. But this fight was close too, I agree.

The first fight was not as competitive as most say imo. I thought Bones controlled it the entire fight and made DC quit in the fourth round. The second fight was much more competitive then the first fight I do agree with that, but Bones getting the KO finish pretty early makes it seem not as competitive as the Gus, Machida, and Belfort fights.

I actually think opposite: first fight during first 3 round was more close than second fight. Second fight Jones clearly started to pull away in 3rd, not so much in first fight.
And he finished Machida actually earlier than DC.

I actually think opposite: first fight during first 3 round was more close than second fight. Second fight Jones clearly started to pull away in 3rd, not so much in first fight.
And he finished Machida actually earlier than DC.
DC did good in one round in the first fight. Bones easily took four out of the five rounds.

1. Gus
2. Gusmao
3. Bonnar
4. DC 1
5. DC 2

HM: Vitor & Rashad

Machdia was stopped late into the 2nd round. And machida ws the first person to really land clean on Jones and tag him. Jones was backed up and nearly knocked down, from a 2-3 flurries of punches.

Bonnar, Gusmao and even Ryan Bader landed cleaner shots than Machida. Jones just wasn't throwing a leg kick when they landed and kept his balance.

Machida won 1st round in all scorecards.

Incorrect, Jones won it on all scorecards.

Last edited:
Back