Top 5 Fights by Division

SteveMR

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Title says it all... What are your picks for the Top 5 MMA fights of all-time by division — and if you dare to try to consider, the Top 5 MMA fights OF ALL-TIME, period? Taking into account the skill and reputation of the fighters involved, the spectacle and stakes of the matchup, and most importantly, the action and excitement of the fight itself. Here's mine:

HW:

1. Fedor vs. Cro Cop
2. Hunt vs. Bigfoot I
3. Couture vs. Rizzo I
4. Big Nog vs. Cro Cop
5. Big Nog vs. Couture

LHW:

1. Hendo vs. Shogun I
2. Shogun vs. Lil' Nog I
3. Wand vs. Rampage II
4. Frank vs. Tito
5. Jones vs. Gustafsson

(HM to Rampage vs. Hendo, Chuck vs. Wand, Griffin vs. Bonnar I and Manhoef vs. Cyborg I)

MW:

1. Silva vs. Sonnen I
2. Santiago vs. Misaki II
3. Leben vs. Sexyama
4. Wand vs. Stann
5. Smith vs. Sell

WW:

1. Lawler vs. McDonald II
2. Hughes vs. Trigg II
3. Diaz vs. Daley
4. Diaz vs. Lawler
5. Lawler vs. Condit

LW:

1. Edgar vs. Maynard II
2. Chandler vs. Alvarez I
3. Pettis vs. Bendo I
4. Edgar vs. Maynard III
5. Sanchez vs. Guida

(HM to Cerrone vs. Bendo I, Diaz vs. Gomi, Melendez vs. Sanchez, Sanchez vs. Parisyan and Huerta vs. Guida -- yes, "The Carpenter" used to get into crazy brawls)

FW:

1. KZ vs. Poirier
2. Garcia vs. KZ I
3. Bermudez vs. Grice
4. Ortega vs. Swanson
5. Aldo vs. Mendes II

BW:

1. Cruz vs. Faber II
2. Cruz vs. TJ
3. TJ vs. Garbrandt
4. Garbrandt vs. Cruz
5. Torres vs. Mizugaki

FLW -- I'll be honest, I can't think of enough to make a respectable Top 5. I welcome anyone who thinks they can to show me what it should look like.

And finally, my Top 5 Fights of All-Time Overall:

1. Edgar vs. Maynard II
2. Lawler vs. McDonald II
3. Hendo vs. Shogun I
4. Shogun vs. Lil' Nog I
5. Wand vs. Rampage II

Whew, that was tough. Now go ahead, don't be shy. Tell me all about how I messed up, and show me if you can do better!

Too lazy to do 5 each
But
Bw: Cruz vs dillashaw
Fw: Aldo mendes 2
Lw: Edgar Maynard
Ww lawler Macdonald
Mw: wand vs Stan or machida weidman
Lhw: hendo shogun 2
Hw: Bigfoot hunt

HW: Big Foot vs Hunt I
LHW: Shogun vs Hendo I
MW: Wand vs Cung Le
WW: Diaz vs Daley
LW: Nick Diaz vs Gomi
FW: Korean Zombie vs Poirier
BW: Cruz vs Faber II

I won't go into too much detail but Lawler vs Condit and Dillashaw vs Cruz should be #1 in WW and BW. Also I thought Cruz vs Faber III was better than Cruz vs Faber II. Sure II was more competitive but in both cases Cruz clearly had the upper hand and what made it so great was the rivalry behind it and the fact that Cruz made one of the all time greats at the lower weight classes look so bad.

Middleweight...to be honest, I found Weidman vs Rockhold very exciting and I feel like the list clearly lacks another Anderson Silva fight.
Swanson vs Choi should definitely be in the FW top 5. I don't know if Polo Reyes vs Dong Hyun Kim was at 155 or 145 but that was also a fight I'll never forget.

I won't go into too much detail but Lawler vs Condit and Dillashaw vs Cruz should be #1 in WW and BW. Also I thought Cruz vs Faber III was better than Cruz vs Faber II. Sure II was more competitive but in both cases Cruz clearly had the upper hand and what made it so great was the rivalry behind it and the fact that Cruz made one of the all time greats at the lower weight classes look so bad.

Middleweight...to be honest, I found Weidman vs Rockhold very exciting and I feel like the list clearly lacks another Anderson Silva fight.
Swanson vs Choi should definitely be in the FW top 5. I don't know if Polo Reyes vs Dong Hyun Kim was at 155 or 145 but that was also a fight I'll never forget.
Agree to disagree on Lawler/Condit. I thought Lawler/McDonald was definitely the more memorable scrap, but both are top 20 all-time for sure. As for Cruz/Faber II and Cruz/Dillashaw, I think they're a toss-up. Cruz/Faber III also definitely deserves a mention.

You're definitely right about Swanson vs. Choi though. Should have put that instead of Swanson/Ortega. I just love that freaking guillotine finish.

HW:
Crocop vs Fedor
Hunt vs Bigfoot
Mir vs Lil Nog 2

LHW:
Shogun vs Hendo 1
Chuck vs Wanderlei
Silva vs Stann

MW:
Silva/Sonnen 1
Bisping vs Silva
Leben vs Akiyama