Top 5 BJJ schools?

I have to say that the week I spent at Alliance was great. I was treated great by both the instructors and the students. I would go back again in a heartbeat.

lol you put lloyd's but not alliance, check mat, brasa, etc?

You just never quit do you? Why not just stay off of Lloyd post? There was no reason to add your smart ass comment here. But this is who you are. lol

For reference here is a list (also in no special order) of the academies I've trained at or visited over the last 4.5 years:
1. Fifty/50 BJJ
2. BJ Penn's (HI)
3. Alliance (NY and Atlanta)
4. Lloyd Irvin & most of it's affliation schools (Camp Springs, NoVAMMA, Evolve, Crazy 88BJJ, Ivey League, Leo Dalla's)
5. Yamasaki (Rockville, and Fairfax)
6. Balance (HQ & 360)
7. Capital Jiu-Jitsu - Alexandria
8. Relson Gracie (Main Academy - HI)
9. New Breed - LA
10. Richmond BJJ
11. BJMUTA (went to a Camp there, only observed class)
12. Gracie Tampa
13. ATT Orlando (when Renato Tavares taught there)
14. Aumakua BJJ (Outside Orlando)
15. Ronin Athletics, NYC

This!

Any love for Greg Jackson's Jiu-Jitsu?

dunno bout pure BJJ, but he integrates his fighters into MMA very effectively. It's ceratinly a top notch school.

This!

Any love for Greg Jackson's Jiu-Jitsu?

dunno bout pure BJJ, but he integrates his fighters into MMA very effectively. It's ceratinly a top notch school.

see, the title of the htread is best bjj schools and jackson does not even teach bjj. plus i do not see his guys kicking ass in the mundials either.

maybe start a thread about best mma schools and talk about him.

greg is not even a 1 stripe white belt in bjj.

?- How am I not calm?

I believe a lot of schools that produce many top BJJ names aren't necessarily the best places to train to start out at because of factory line like automation, inconsitency of instructors teaching you and huge class sizes. In order to get the personal attention and 1 on 1 experiences you'd get at other schools (they charge a lot and you have to do privates to get personal attention). Keep this in mind that success and best isn't the same for everyone and without criteria this thread is doomed- Im actually gonna start a thread about this topic- calmly- because vague threads tend to get dominated but noobs getting touchy.

At the same time, a small school will give you more personalized instruction, but not the variety of styles and body types (as well as higher belts) that are also necessary for advancement.

Alliance? Strongest team in the world, best team in Brazil, no doubt. Checkmat, TT, Nine Nine, Atos, all come from Alliance. But I don't know what the team is like in America.

Insanely good. Remember Cobrinha, Jacare, Lucas Lepri, Marcelo Garcia, and more all live primarily in the USA now. Jacare has also built up quite a team in Atlanta, and for several years Cobrinha has been teaching there by his side also. Cobrinha actually recently announced that he'll be leaving there to open his own school soon, but no word on the location yet.

About a year ago I was living in an area where I was pretty much the highest rank for 50 miles in each direction, and I seriously considered making the move to Atlanta to train at Alliance. I know a few people that have done this. one of them particularly did it right when I first started considering it and now he's gotten so good so quick it's insane; he even started making quite a name for himself already.

Insanely good. Remember Cobrinha, Jacare, Lucas Lepri, Marcelo Garcia, and more all live primarily in the USA now. Jacare has also built up quite a team in Atlanta, and for several years Cobrinha has been teaching there by his side also. Cobrinha actually recently announced that he'll be leaving there to open his own school soon, but no word on the location yet.

About a year ago I was living in an area where I was pretty much the highest rank for 50 miles in each direction, and I seriously considered making the move to Atlanta to train at Alliance. I know a few people that have done this. one of them particularly did it right when I first started considering it and now he's gotten so good so quick it's insane; he even started making quite a name for himself already.

mind explaining why u went to jacksonville instead?

In your opinion at this current time what are your top 5 for the best schools to train BJJ in the US and most importantly, why?

Maybe the question should be which team/instructor do you want a BB from?

I'm at Ronin right now. We have an awesome bjj program. I will admit, however, that its not the best in the area. I'm seriously thinking of making a switch to Alliance. Does anyone have any clue on the potential pricing?

I'm at Ronin right now. We have an awesome bjj program. I will admit, however, that its not the best in the area. I'm seriously thinking of making a switch to Alliance. Does anyone have any clue on the potential pricing?

i think about 2 years ago it was around 210-220 a month.

this is based on winning consistency in the Mundials

1. Alliance in Atlanta or Sao Paulo (5 world champions at black belt this year 2010) bruno malfacine, michael langhi, marcelo garcia, tarsis humphreys, bernardo faria, gabi garcia, luanna alzuguir etc.
2. Gracie Barra America or Gracie Barra Belo Horizonte (always consistent in placing in team titles) Roger gracie, romulo barral, samuel braga, braulio estima[if he wasn't injured] kayron gracie
3. ATOS jj in rio claro brazil (1 world champion, rafa, 2 medalists at Black belt 2010) durinho, calazans, guto campos, gui mendes, bruno frazatto
4. Checkmat jj Sao Paulo (Rodrigo cavaca[world champ 2010] lucas leite, nivaldo oliviera, Telles)
5. Lloyd Irvin M.A. (JT torres and Tracey Goodell)
6. Gracie Humaita (Xande, Lovato, Kron)
7. Brasa (Felipe costa, ryan hall)

I don't know if Gurgel should be pissed off or proud that the best teams out there competing for the titles are just splitters from his team. Atos, Checkmat, Brasa, all come from Alliance.

Lloyd Irvin has to be number 1! The guy clearly has the best METHOD of teaching! He guy took the time to LEARN TO TEACH!! Everyone else just rides their talent. This man should be looked up to WAY more than he is!!

If u ask most teachers "What are the three ways people learn?" 95% of them do not even know that! How the hell can you call yourself a real TEACHER if you dont even know the ways in which people learn and absord information???

Renzo has a shit load of black belts but probably not the best instruction. Place is run like an assembly line. Class then get out!

Alliance has to be up there.

I think anywhere with a great instructor and a few high level guys is a great envirnoment to learn....there are dozens of schools like that.

Drysdale's, Saulo's etc

Back