Top 5 BJJ schools?

KhaledA - I train at Alliance in Atlanta, and I am sorry that you had such a negative experience. I can only say that as I read your description, that it was very surreal. I'm not doubting what you said, but what you are describing definitely isn't the norm.

First of all, the person you are talking about is not an instructor. That doesn't excuse anything that he did that you felt was inappropriate, but it is a very important distinction. I can assure you that Cobrinha would be very angry if he was aware of a situation as you describe it. If anything, Cobrinha is too strict for some people's liking (not mine, but some), and he is BIG on respect. Likewise, Jacare would not stand for the type of attitude or actions that you describe. I can only conclude that it was an anomoly.

I wish, for your sake, that you'd give the school another shot. I feel certain that you could not have the same kind of bad experience again, but maybe my standards are different than yours. Clearly, I'm biased, but there is no denying the numbers ... Alliance is one of the best school in the entire world ... and certainly the best in Atlanta. At least in terms of the technical and competitive aspects of jiu jitsu. However, I also believe that our environment is friendly, welcoming, and very professional. I can't say that I've ever met a nicer person or better instructor than Cobrinha .. not to mention the fact that he is the best jiu jitsu practicioner on the planet right now. Jacare is an amazing leader - his track record of individual and team world champions speaks for itself.

Of course, we have a lot of students across a wide range of ages, maturity, life experiences, etc. I'm sure that there are some individuals in a group that large and diverse who will rub anyone the wrong way. That will be a challenge whever you go. Personally, I wouldn't let the behavior of one individual in a single class affect a decision that big.

If you chose to try Alliance again, I'd avoid the person you had a bad experience with even though I think he is a good person. If there is anything you'd like to discuss, I'm happy to talk to you about my experience, provide advice about the school, or recommend training/warm up partners. If you chose to move on, best of luck in finding a school that fits your personality & needs.

Who are you? Were you there when I visited?

Just the fact that you stick up for your school speaks volumes but at the same time I'm hesitant to even bother going back.

Also...The fact that I mentioned I did no gi before the class, did that rub anyone wrong you think?

I can't stress enough how badly I wanted to join the team and get some great gi training but if those things are everyday problems I don't exactly want to push them aside.

Also...I mentioned I ... no gi ... rub anyone ... you think?

I can't stress enough how badly I wanted to join the team and get some great gi training but if those things are everyday problems I don't exactly want to push them aside.

Khaled- I sense a gay! You won't even say the real reason you don't like Alliance- it isn't because the "instructor" checked out some girls- it's because he didn't check out you!

Seriously though- what makes me stupid- that I merely asked the questions that most people were wondering? I honestly don't think you're gay (which you clearly took offense to because you're either gay or homophobic) - just insecure and full of shit. Sorry your dream school turned out not to be a good fit for you- but in all honesty- IT'S YOU!!!

I feel bad for the guy who defended Alliance schools- don't waste your time- it's Khaled- he's just looking for something else in BJJ - specifically notlooking at women- he just isn't that into you (women)!

Lloyd Irvine
The University of Jiu Jitsu
Gracie Barra (Rio)
Renzo Gracie - Manhattan
OAMA (my school hehe)

lol you put lloyd's but not alliance, check mat, brasa, etc?

Just the fact that you stick up for your school speaks volumes but at the same time I'm hesitant to even bother going back.

Also...The fact that I mentioned I did no gi before the class, did that rub anyone wrong you think?

If you plan on training bjj for any length of time you really really need a thicker skin. If what you said is the reason to never go back then you have bigger issues, and will likely find a reason not to train at any school you go to.

How old are you?

Khaled- I sense a gay! You won't even say the real reason you don't like Alliance- it isn't because the "instructor" checked out some girls- it's because he didn't check out you!

Seriously though- what makes me stupid- that I merely asked the questions that most people were wondering? I honestly don't think you're gay (which you clearly took offense to because you're either gay or homophobic) - just insecure and full of shit. Sorry your dream school turned out not to be a good fit for you- but in all honesty- IT'S YOU!!!

I feel bad for the guy who defended Alliance schools- don't waste your time- it's Khaled- he's just looking for something else in BJJ - specifically notlooking at women- he just isn't that into you (women)!

Grow up dude.

If you plan on training bjj for any length of time you really really need a thicker skin. If what you said is the reason to never go back then you have bigger issues, and will likely find a reason not to train at any school you go to.

How old are you?

I don't just make excuses to not train somewhere, I've been training somewhere before I ever even thought about Alliance.

I have no idea - when were you there? I usually train during the day (12-2) class but was there in the evening this past week on Monday & Tuesday.

I doubt you stating that you did no-gi rubbed anyone the wrong way ... I can't imagine that fact would bother anyone. We roll & compete (and love) no-gi also.

Most of the visitors that have a problem at Alliance, dislike the competitiveness. And, most people that train there are pretty good for their rank which can be frustrating for a visitor. Sometimes, we have visitors that show up with an interesting attitude - it's like they are there to test us. We even have visitors that come and wear a lower belt rank to train with us (e.g., a purple belt shows up wearing a blue belt ... we find out from someone later on or from a competition, etc.) It's also funny to me to see a visting purple belt come & train and immediately try an ankle lock. I've even seen someone try that on Cobrinha. Attitude is a LOT when you visit any school, but I do think that it might be relatively more important at our school just because we have had more than our fair share of guys who come to try to prove something. I'm not saying you did any of that ... but since you asked about rubbing people the wrong way, I wanted to describe what typically does it. Just being experienced ... in either gi or no-gi wouldn't normally rub anyone the wrong way.

161140506_small.jpg

Didn't see this thread before but thought it was pretty funny someone get so upset of "disrespecting" women that they wouldn't go train at one of the top gyms in the country.

And since when is checking girls out disrespecting them?

it's kind of disrespectful to the students and class when the person running it goes off during class time to do this

it's kind of disrespectful to the students and class when the person running it goes off during class time to do this

The guy in question was not teaching a class and is not an instructor at Alliance. It's equivalent to you and your buddies bullshitting together.

2. Gracie Barra Texas... We have tons of black belts come through to train with Drac and teach us. There are days we go through the gauntlet of Brazilian black belts and learn something every time.

No offense dude, but I am interested in this due to your sig. You're a blue belt assistant instructor, which leads me to believe you don't have a lot of higher level training partners at your gym.

I am sure your coach is an incredible teacher and a great competitor. I'm not saying anything about that. I just wonder about the training partners, which are a huge factor in what makes a top gym, due to what I perceive. Maybe I'm wrong?

^ He could just be teaching the kids class or w.e.

We have a couple purples who teach ours, and i help out once in a while.

Tiger Shulmans

Who gives a shit about the girl comment from Alliance ?
Somehow sounds like an excuse.

The gym I train at it is in a college town, when girls walk by I always check them out. I thought all guys did? I mean, I don't stop class and go "LOOK LOOK LOOK" but I think when you have a room full of 20-30 year olds anyone who notices is going to look.

I think you are putting the vagina on a pedestal.

Back