Top 5 BJJ schools?

Let me ask you this...What would you do if your training partner who actually works under Jacare and is a blue belt under him abruptly stops the training session to look at passing females in the wndow? I could go on but is it really worth it? A single unknown guy on the internet can't discredit a school of that calibre. I'd just say take a free class and see for yourself.

Is this blue belt an instructor and does this happen regularly? I would let Jacare or another senior black belt/instructor know about this as that is a major disturbance. I cant imagine Cobrinhas or Jacare condoning this type of behavior. Please elaborate on this and feel free to PM me if you prefer. I heard many good things about that place and want to go there someday

I've only been one day and will more than likely never go back.

Apparently he is an instructor because he was talking about someone coming in for the 7:30 class that he was supposed to be instructing.

There were two other females that are new there that were actually training and again in the middle of our drills he says "Man, he's (another instructor) lucky...He gets to train with the hot girls and I get you."

Now to some this doesn't even faze them but I'm sorry...I have the upmost respect for females, especially those willing to learn and that's crossing the line, enough said.

Edit: might I also add that I overheard a couple of other regulars commenting on the females in a non-helpful disrespectful way.

I've only been one day and will more than likely never go back.

Apparently he is an instructor because he was talking about someone coming in for the 7:30 class that he was supposed to be instructing.

There were two other females that are new there that were actually training and again in the middle of our drills he says "Man, he's (another instructor) lucky...He gets to train with the hot girls and I get you."

Now to some this doesn't even faze them but I'm sorry...I have the upmost respect for females, especially those willing to learn and that's crossing the line, enough said.

Edit: might I also add that I overheard a couple of other regulars commenting on the females in a non-helpful disrespectful way.

Great way to turn your thread into a bash thread- (still calm)

4 questions(some others too):

Why didn't you say something to him if you were offended? (Excuse me- I paid to train can we focus on technique?)

Are you gay? (I don't think you are but rather a "friend" ask than some dick on the net, right?)

Are you Muslim? (Your name- if not I apologize for my ignorance)

How many schools have you trained at and what defines a successful school for you?
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/what-makes-school-successful-975697/

Great way to turn your thread into a bash thread- (still calm)

4 questions(some others too):

Why didn't you say something to him if you were offended? (Excuse me- I paid to train can we focus on technique?)

Are you gay? (I don't think you are but rather a "friend" ask than some dick on the net, right?)

Are you Muslim? (Your name- if not I apologize for my ignorance)

How many schools have you trained at and what defines a successful school for you?
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/what-makes-school-successful-975697/

I actually DID say something to him. And now respecting women = gay? Grow up.

Are you attracted to women? Does IT grow up? It's ok if you're not- I'm just gaining perspective on the situation and why you will never go back to a school because someone is too hetero for you. You'd rather him focus on your pecs and mangina?

Are you attracted to women? Does IT grow up? It's ok if you're not- I'm just gaining perspective on the situation and why you will never go back to a school because someone is too hetero for you. You'd rather him focus on your pecs and mangina?

I sense strong stupidity.

he was probobly joking man, you sound way too uptight... that school produces champions and not to go back because one of the instructors checked out a girl outside sounds ridiculous to me. instructors are people too...no one is a robot with no emotions.

and what he said to you sounds like a joke, people joke ALL the time...bjj is not a cult, its supposed to be fun, so accept the jokes and dont be afraid to luagh.:icon_chee

Of course they produce champions, I've never discredited them on that basis! Before I went to the class I thought highly of them and many of my posts before 5/14 proves it.

If you were to ever meet me you'd realize I'm one of the least uptight guys you'd ever know.

I know when somethings a joke and when it's not. His female comment wasn't even the main reason I won't come back but with so many people on the nuts of this school what's the use of saying anything more? I'll either be lying or "uptight".

kinda off topic but not, did lucas lepri stop teaching at alliance nyc? he is no longer on the instructors page.

I don't think checking out other girls is that bad but the part where he said "Man, he's (another instructor) lucky...He gets to train with the hot girls and I get you" was disrespectful. The guy is an instructor and he's complaining about training with a new student to his face. Even if it was a joke it shows he is somewhat uninterested in training with this guy.

KhaledA - I train at Alliance in Atlanta, and I am sorry that you had such a negative experience. I can only say that as I read your description, that it was very surreal. I'm not doubting what you said, but what you are describing definitely isn't the norm.

First of all, the person you are talking about is not an instructor. That doesn't excuse anything that he did that you felt was inappropriate, but it is a very important distinction. I can assure you that Cobrinha would be very angry if he was aware of a situation as you describe it. If anything, Cobrinha is too strict for some people's liking (not mine, but some), and he is BIG on respect. Likewise, Jacare would not stand for the type of attitude or actions that you describe. I can only conclude that it was an anomoly.

I wish, for your sake, that you'd give the school another shot. I feel certain that you could not have the same kind of bad experience again, but maybe my standards are different than yours. Clearly, I'm biased, but there is no denying the numbers ... Alliance is one of the best school in the entire world ... and certainly the best in Atlanta. At least in terms of the technical and competitive aspects of jiu jitsu. However, I also believe that our environment is friendly, welcoming, and very professional. I can't say that I've ever met a nicer person or better instructor than Cobrinha .. not to mention the fact that he is the best jiu jitsu practicioner on the planet right now. Jacare is an amazing leader - his track record of individual and team world champions speaks for itself.

Of course, we have a lot of students across a wide range of ages, maturity, life experiences, etc. I'm sure that there are some individuals in a group that large and diverse who will rub anyone the wrong way. That will be a challenge whever you go. Personally, I wouldn't let the behavior of one individual in a single class affect a decision that big.

If you chose to try Alliance again, I'd avoid the person you had a bad experience with even though I think he is a good person. If there is anything you'd like to discuss, I'm happy to talk to you about my experience, provide advice about the school, or recommend training/warm up partners. If you chose to move on, best of luck in finding a school that fits your personality & needs.

kinda off topic but not, did lucas lepri stop teaching at alliance nyc? he is no longer on the instructors page.
Yes - Lucas still trains at Alliance NY, although he is now in Atlanta training until after the Mundials.

maybe khaled just doesn't want to get his shit handed to him everyday

maybe khaled just doesn't want to get his shit handed to him everyday

Nonsense...I nearly pissed myself when we finally found the school. If I didn't want this I wouldn't have even bothered driving an hour and a half in that horrible ATL traffic.

Back