Top 2 knuckles vs last three

Yanphuv

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I know there's a million of these threads out there, but I feel like making a new one to get your guys views on which knuckles to strike with? Do you think the first two knuckle are the best way no matter if your fist is vertical or horizontal? Do you think the three knuckles are better on your hand and wrist if you strike with your fist vertical/horizontal? I really wanna hear your guys opinions on this. Personally, I hit with my last three knuckles because of my thumb placement. If I punch with my first two knuckles, I'll hit my thumb because my thumb only goes over my first finger, which means the knuckle of my thumb sticks out.

Learn to make a proper fist (your thumb doesn't fall on the front of your fist). Then learn to punch properly after that. Then you wont feel the need to make a thread like this. It's been discussed ad-nausea that both sets of knuckles are used to punch with, really only depending on what style of fighting you learned to punch in.

Last edited:
Use your elbow ..or the search function ..either way problem solved !

Learn to make a proper fist (your thumb doesn't fall on the front of your fist). Then learn to punch properly after that. Then you wont feel the need to make a thread like this. It's been discussed ad-nausea that both sets of knuckles are used to punch with, really only depending on what style of fighting you learned to punch in.

It doesn't fall on the front of the fist. My thumb over covers my index finger and it doesn't go over my index and middle finger like most people.

I make my fist the same way as Muhammed Ali.
b84fe827924b17b77703c33e2ac7bf88_1M.png
Notice how his thumb only goes over the first finger? That's the same as mine and If I strike with the top two knuckles, I hit the knuckle of the thumb.

concidering the last 3 usaly are where most breaks happen im gonna assume hitting withthe front 2 is a lot better i dont know if ive ver seeen the the 1st 2 medicarles break

do some mitt work with mma gloves boxig gloves create a bad thumb out habit i primaly box but when i do switch to mma gloves i usealy hit my thumb till i get my habit back

I been trained to use the top 2, just as the other posters have pointed out. These knuckles are the biggest and most petruding. The bottom 3 are easier to break. In Krav Maga we train palm strikes as well, and some guys even prefer them to punches in order to protect the hands. The bones are actually very fragile.

I have heard that some Karate dojos teach the fighters to place the thumb on top of the fore finger, close to the knuckle. I've tried it and to me, it seems like a weaker fist.

Ive tried both. prefer to use the first two but i experimented with the last three just to see. They both work fine.

Interesting thread, since I've never heard of anyone using the last three. Not sure why that would ever be anyone's choice. The first two knuckles are the biggest and the strongest.

Depends entirely on the shape of your fist. With knuckles clenched, the front face of my knuckles is almost square, straight across. All hit simultaneously, as far as I can feel.

Wikipedia said:
A "Boxer's fracture" is the second and/or third metacarpal transverse neck fracture that is more likely to occur from a straight punch. The "Boxer's" designation is suggestive of the generally well tolerated way of striking a hard object with the closed fist, with the second and third metacarpal bones, of the index and middle fingers respectively, absorbing most of the force.

A "Bar Room fracture" is a transverse fracture of the fourth and/or fifth metacarpal neck, which are respectively part of the ring and little fingers. The "Bar Room" designation is suggestive of an inexperienced and/or intoxicated fighter that throws a "round house" type punch, with the fourth and fifth metacarpal bones absorbing most of the force. This is generally accepted to be an unfavorable way of landing a punch.

Boxer's fracture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yeah, I have this in my left hand from sparring in Kyokushinkai while coming from pure boxing/muay thai. Took 6 months to punch again without pain.

Hand conditioning is key for bare-knuckle fighting. :) That's a little advantage Karate guys have in a "street" situation.

Back