Top 10 News Events of 2017??

What were the most significant events of the year in your eyes?

This could be an especially interesting discussion in a day and age where popular news media outlets often do not agree on what is “significant.”

For the sake of this discussion, a “news event” will be considered in the hard news sense: something that happened on a specific date, as opposed to an “ongoing situation.”

So “Michael Flynn pleads guilty” or “Obamacare repeal vote fails in Senate” is an event, but “Russia Investigation” or “Alt-right movement” is not.

Let’s hear from some of our local luminaries:

@Jack V Savage
@Lead
@Fawlty
@AnGrYcRoW
@Bald1
@Kafir-kun
@Quipling
@JDragon
@TheGreatA
@HomerThompson (Bomaye)
@Arkain2K
@JosephDredd
@VivaRevolution
@TheComebackKid
@irish_thug

Don’t be offended if not tagged... just looking at end of year thread.

I’m going to have a think and look at some of the replies before creating my own list.

Some quick thoughts, not yet in any order...

Harvey Weinstein Steps Down
Charlottesville
Trump’s NFL Tweet/ Protest
GOP Tax Bill Passes
Net Neutrality Repealled
US Pulls Out of Paris Treaty
Las Vegas Shooting
Hurricane Maria
Steve Bannon Leaves White House
Doug Jones Wins Alabama

Obviously I focus a lot more on domestic affairs... I’d love to see some lists that combined domestic and international events.
Really hard to think of anything that tops Harvey and Vegas to be honest.

Fall of ISIS

That wasnt really "news" since its been a war that has lasted for almost 4 years.

I think ISIS "fell" in 2016 with Mosul being besieged and they had been on a losing streak since 2015 at Kobane.

I would put the news at Raqqa being besieged which was the last ISIS stronghold. But still it never really felt that big because ISIS was a shell by the time it happened.

It wasnt certainly something like the Battle of Aleppo i remember that battle had me checking the Syria thread twice a day.

This could be an especially interesting discussion in a day and age where popular news media outlets often do not agree on what is “significant.”

For the sake of this discussion, a “news event” will be considered in the hard news sense: something that happened on a specific date, as opposed to an “ongoing situation.”

So “Michael Flynn pleads guilty” or “Obamacare repeal vote fails in Senate” is an event, but “Russia Investigation” or “Alt-right movement” is not.

@Jack V Savage
@Lead
@Fawlty
@AnGrYcRoW
@Bald1
@Kafir-kun
@Quipling
@JDragon
@TheGreatA
@HomerThompson (Bomaye)
@Arkain2K
@JosephDredd
@VivaRevolution
@TheComebackKid
@irish_thug

I’m going to have a think and look at some of the replies before creating my own list.

Charlottesville
GOP Tax Bill Passes
Net Neutrality Repealled
Las Vegas Shooting
Hurricane Maria
Doug Jones Wins Alabama

Obviously I focus a lot more on domestic affairs... I’d love to see some lists that combined domestic and international events.

That one time a trans person used the bathroom of thier choice.

Oh and the great purge of the war room shit posters. Best news of the year

Last edited:
*Searches for @AnGrYcRoW's contribution to thread topic*

*continues to search*

imo I have already contributed more than Tck and unlike him I'm going to give it some thought and not just vomit into the thread

nice job white knighting that troll/shill btw

Last edited:
imo I have already contributed more than Tck

By bitching about him?

Yeah, great contribution. Good to see you didn't ignore the thread topic, like that other guy you're whining about.

The US pulling out of the Paris Accords, imo.

However, I think we're witnessing the beginning of the end of the American express empire. Trump cancelled the TPP, which was meant to lock in western influence in South East Asia and beyond, and then he has systematically done everything he could to untether America from influence amongst its own allies, going as far as to threaten the constituting nations of the UN (while instituting tax cuts that will probably severely impact middle class Americans, while doing what he can to erode American's trust in government, while doing literally nothing to combat America's various domestic crises -- like opioids)... meanwhile, China's belt and road initiative has poised then to become the hegemonic power in the middle East, Asia and Africa, reaching all the way into Europe.

I honestly didn't know who Harvey Weinstein was before he was outed as a pervball. So that didn't seem like a huge story to me personally.

Brexit
Spain/ catalonia
pick a spacex landing (amazing)
US pulling out of Paris
extreme weather/ climate rise
Comey
Xi

crazy year , crazy times

Gorsuch being appointed to the supreme court.

I honestly didn't know who Harvey Weinstein was before he was outed as a pervball. So that didn't seem like a huge story to me personally.
I’m thinking about all the dominoes that have fallen since
Gorsuch being appointed to the supreme court.
Unfortunately, you are right... this is going to fuck workers for a generation.

Statues , Omar Khadr , Hiv Cali ?

of all the things going on in the world , these are the things that wind you up ?

The natural disaster fest.

Pervert gate.

Trump's victory over the NFL.

Misdemeanor HIV in Cali.

Fall of ISIS

Statue gate

Trudeau government awarding a convicted Islamic terrorist $10,000,000

Las Vegas shooting

Alabama not going full Alabama

Tax reform/ACA repeal(sort of) in one fell swoop.

Statues , Omar Khadr , Hiv Cali ?

of all the things going on in the world , these are the things that wind you up ?

Yes.

Rustled much? Next time don't be a complete hypocrite, and I won't call you out as such.

Yes.

Rustled much? Next time don't be a complete hypocrite, and I won't call you out as such.
Lol it seems people liked my comment , the fact you didn't pleases me and it's pretty clear if anyone is rustled here it's you .

Your list shows how screwed up your priorities are btw .

Lol it seems people liked my comment

Good for you. Get about 12,000 more, and you'll be batting .500.

Don't talk about likes to me, you peasant.

Your list shows how screwed up your priorities are btw .

Brexit, Spain, and some imaginary agreement means a lot to you, huh?

@Jack V Savage
@Lead
@Fawlty
@AnGrYcRoW
@Bald1
@Kafir-kun
@Quipling
@JDragon
@TheGreatA
@HomerThompson (Bomaye)
@Arkain2K
@JosephDredd
@VivaRevolution
@TheComebackKid
@irish_thug

Charlottesville
GOP Tax Bill Passes
Net Neutrality Repealled
Las Vegas Shooting
Hurricane Maria
Doug Jones Wins Alabama

idk about most important events, but this may have been my favorite. you cant make this shit up.

Good for you. Get about 12,000 more, and you'll be batting .500.

Don't talk about likes to me, you peasant.

Brexit, Spain, and some imaginary agreement means a lot to you, huh?
Lol, yup rustled

Back