Tool. Where to start?

jefferz

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some Tool recommendations. I couldn't stand Tool growing up, but as I get older my tastes are changing. I've heard the mainstream songs like Schism and Sober, but nothing else.
Where do I start? Thanks in advance.

For want of a better phrase, Aenima is the easiest Tool album to get into, but don't even expect to get it after one or two listens. The term 'grower' was made for Tool albums.

If you like that one, you can move on to Lateralus or 10,000 Days, or back to Undertow

For want of a better phrase, Aenima is the easiest Tool album to get into, but don't even expect to get it after one or two listens. The term 'grower' was made for Tool albums.

If you like that one, you can move on to Lateralus or 10,000 Days, or back to Undertow

Nothing more to say

If you're just getting into Tool I'd suggest Forty Six & 2 and Stinkfist.

One of the rare bands where you can listen to the entire albums. Not sure if they still tour but they are just as good in concert. Maynard is one of the best vocalists of all time imo.

Opiate is still my favorite album of theirs

Plus with Lateralus theres two different tracklistings to try

I tell everyone to start with Ænima and in the song of the same name off of said album and then listen to the rest of the record. If you like Ænima you will most likely like the rest of their discog. I'd say after that give Undertow a listen because that album is totally different from Ænima and all subsequent albums. It is the most straightforward of all the band records but even then it has tinges of what would become the bands signature style.

Also for all Tool fans I have a download called Spiral Out which I posted once before in a previous Tool thread. I have taken the time to choose what I personally feel are the best live version of the bands songs in their catalog. You may notice not everything is included here and that is because I feel audip like Mantra, Message To Marry Manback, and Intermission are more in line with interludes/skits than anything else, therefore I excluded them. That is what Spiral Out is, a best of Tool live up until Lateralus. I am working on putting together the best live versions from 10,000 Days. Download Here (zip format)

Here is the track listing for each album. It is every album from the Opiate EP until Lateralus like I said before. You'll notice some gigs have more than one song featured and that is because I feel those renditions are the best. And finally the quality of the recordings will vary greatly because of how each individual gig was recorded. As well I have taken the time to tweak certain songs in order to remove as much hiss or noise from the recordings as possible.

3 hours 53 minutes 41 seconds long

Opiate
1)Sweat (5-2-92 JC Dobbs Philadelphia, PA)
2)Hush (7-15-98 Wings Stadium, Kalamazoo, MI)
3)Part Of Me(04-24-93 Scientology Garden Pavilion, Hollywood, CA)
4)Cold And Ugly (11-16-02 Cox Convention Center Arena, Oklahoma City, OK)
5)Jerk-Off (7-10-93 Molson Park, Barrie, Ontario)
6)Opiate (11-23-96 Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA)

Undertow
1)Intolerance (3-5-94 VARA Radio, Hilversum, The Netherlands)
2)Prison Sex (OTRM) (11-23-96 Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA)
3)Sober (5-2-92 JC Dobbs Philadelphia, PA)
4)Bottom (12-13-95 Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, CA)
5)Crawl Away (3-1-97 Mid Hudson Civic Center, Poughkeepsie, NY)
6)Swamp Song (5-3-92 The Limelight, New York, NY)
7)Undertow (8-13-01 Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, CA)
8)4 Degrees (6-23-93 Shoreline Theater, Mountain View, CA)
9)Flood (7-15-98 Wings Stadium, Kalamazoo, MI)
10)Disgustipated (7-21-94 Shepherd's Bush Empire, London, England)

Ænima
1)Stinkfist (White Lines) (9-13-01, Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, MI)
2)Eulogy (11-23-96 Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA)
3)H. (10-16-96 Glass House, Pomona, CA)
4)Forty Six & 2 (11-16-02 Cox Convention Center, Oklahoma City, OK)
5)Hooker With A Penis (10-16-96 Glass House, Pomona, CA. Live Debut)
6)Jimmy (11-7-96, Bronco Bowl, Dallas, TX)
7)Pushit (Extended) (9-13-01, Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, MI)
8)Ænema (10-10-99 Empire Polo Field, Coachella Festival, Indio, CA)
9)Third Eye (11-23-96 Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA)

Lateralus
1)The Grudge (11-1-01 Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Irvine, CA)
2)The Patient (11-1-01 Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Irvine, CA)
3)Schism (11-16-02 Cox Convention Center, Oklahoma City, OK)
4)Parabol/a (8-13-02 Radio City Music Hall, New York City, NY)
5)Ticks & Leeches (5-12-02 Brixton Academy, London, UK)
6)Lateralus (7-21-02 Pepsi Arena, Denver, CO)
7)Disposition/Reflection/Triad/Wings For Marie(Early Version) featuring Tomas Haake of Meshuggah (11-16-02 Cox Convention Center, Oklahoma City, OK)

Format is 320 Kbps mp3

What a fucking band.. Really.
Never seen them live. But I would love to. Soooooo much.

Maybe even just to see Maynard Keenan rear naked choke someone live on stage..
If you have not seen the video..Then here you go... epicness

His voice is what has turned me off of Tool in the past. There's a couple other lead singers I felt the same way about growing up but it's changed so I figured I'd give them a shot.

Just go on Youtube and listen... not hard.

His voice is what has turned me off of Tool in the past. There's a couple other lead singers I felt the same way about growing up but it's changed so I figured I'd give them a shot.
I think Lateralus is their best. Listen to the whole album a couple of times, then you are in.

Or you just wait for the new album. It is about to be released soon.
<{ohyeah}>

Lateralus got me hooked.
Parabola is still my favorite track.

The great thing about Tool is that if you've heard one of their songs you've basically heard them all. Few bands in history have delivered Tool's level of musical efficiency.

You start by deciding not to listen to them because Tool is awful.

Just go on Youtube and listen... not hard.
If someone had never listened to Metallica before, are you going to tell them to go on youtube and just listen? If you're not an asshole, you'd tell them to not even bother with anything after and justice for all.

You start by deciding not to listen to them because Tool is awful.
1099.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back