Too old to start MMA ?

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by Ruslan Gabe, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Ruslan Gabe White Belt

Ruslan Gabe
    Hi there, my friend is 29 and he wants to start training mma. Do you guys think he is too old to start it ? are there known fighters who started mma around this age ? Or he should totally drop it ?

Thanks

agibmxmma likes this.
  2. Go Go Plata Black Belt

Go Go Plata
    Depends on the division IMO. If he is a natural LHW or HW he would be in his prime. Anything less, there are going to be younger, faster, stronger guys.

3. Sir Punchalot Red Belt

Sir Punchalot
    Is he too old to start? No. He might be too old to become a top fighter, though. Most of the big names in the sport obviously started a lot earlier. This stuff isn't something you learn overnight. It takes years of hard training to become even half decent, and most people give up and quit long before that.

4. Ruslan Gabe White Belt

Ruslan Gabe
    I see. Well there are people like Silva or Overeem ,Edgar or even Cormier who arent that young and still are rocking the tops. And they aint under 35.. They indeed started early but hey they aint young and how they do it why cant he do it

5. Edwin Silver Belt

Edwin
    Horrible examples...

Overeem competed in judo as a child and began training when he was 15.

Is the Silva you're talking about, Anderson? If so, he began training BJJ as a kid.

Frankie has been wrestling since high school.

Cormier began wrestling when he was in school too.

I see what you mean, but these guys didn't start training at 29, they began since their childhood or youth.

Started to train at 29 with hopes of becoming a top fighter isn't something that's really going to pan out. You can't learn to become a good enough all around fighter in 4-5 years.

Honestly you can't even learn a single discipline and become great at in 4-5 years.

barados and WildWestWhoopAss like this.
  6. Ruslan Gabe White Belt

Ruslan Gabe
    What do you have to say about Nate Quarry ? Liam McGeary ? Brad Blackburn ? Bas Rutten ? Jimi Manuwa ?

7. WarriorPoet1 Purple Belt

WarriorPoet1
    nobody has anything to say about Nate Quarry....... have you seen liams last few? any semi high level wrestler is going to just push him over...........who ? Bas is a bad motherfucker whats ur point?.........overall point if ur buddy aint about to make a million why take the brain damage

8. AminoAcid Purple Belt

AminoAcid
    It's not too late.

Not everyone learns things at the same speeds. Your friend may be a natural and pick up the material rather quickly.

If he wants to go for it, then he should. Realistically, he has about 11 years. A lot of fighters fight up to their 40s, and that's with a lifetime of mileage. Your friend has none up to this point..

agibmxmma and Ruslan Gabe like this.
  9. potemkin723 Double Yellow Card

potemkin723
    Don't listen to the majority of sherdoggers, most of us are fat 40 inches waist keyboard warriors.

If your friend wants it, then do it regardless of age.

10. Late Starter White Belt

Late Starter
    I started at 40 after a 25 year layoff from muay thai. Haven't fought yet (I've had four boxing matches though) but I will at so,easy point.

Basically, it's never too late.

agibmxmma, MMA MASTER and Ruslan Gabe like this.
  11. oldmansmoker White Belt

oldmansmoker
    Cm punk started in his mid 30s and made it to the main card of UFC within two years, follow your dreams.

12. Woldog Boxer

Woldog
    I boxed from 12 - 17 then stopped completely until I was 23, by then muscle memory was a thing of the past and I had honestly forgotten most of what I was taught as a kid. I'm 26 now and still learning again, I could go pro but I don't want to. You're never too old to start.

Late Starter likes this.
  13. NHB7 Gold Belt

NHB7
    Depends what he's hoping to accomplish and what his background is.

A division 1 wrestler with boxing experience who starts at age 29 could be a champ of a small org in two years.

A person with no martial arts experience who starts at 29 could get in better shape, feel better about himself, and hold his own in some gym smokers in a year or two.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Bubblun and Late Starter like this.
  14. Bowel-forged Stool Orange Belt

Bowel-forged Stool
    You will need the very best steroids you can afford to help you in your endeavors.

15. manboy<3 don't card me bro

manboy<3
    No you are too old

I recommend you become an accountant and if you are a woman than a housewife anything else is too risky

16. SRN SOCRATEEEES

SRN
    Is he planning to compete? Than I would say it's to late to become a top fighter but you can never know until you star. As a hobby, like most of us do, there's no age limit to start.

Ronin13 and SteveColdStone like this.
  17. SteveColdStone Green Belt

SteveColdStone
    Does your friend = you?

I would start with just training as a hobby, getting fitness to a good level, and see how things go. Babysteps.

Becoming a top 15 fighter in the world in a weightclass? Very, very unlikely if you have zero experience. Basically impossible. Only people who could reach those goals would be naturally athletic guys in a very thin division.

Mitrione is a good example, but he is a great athlete and has always been in shape. Also fights in a very thin division where technique isn't as important.

You or your friend, whoever it is, should sign up for muay thai, bjj, boxing, mma, anything combat related, see how things
    go, see if it becomes your passion, and make sure to stick at it. Even if you only get to a level where you feel confident of being able to take anybody on the street if worst comes to worst, it will be worth it. It's also great to have exercise related hobbies.

Set small goals and try and accomplish them at a smart pace.

18. ComradeFedor Blue Belt

ComradeFedor
    If he's ok with making 25k/year max then yeah he should start.

19. cheesus Red Belt

cheesus
    Too old to start mma ? hell no. Too old to make at the world level ? Most likely but nothings impossible.

20. Swift Purple Belt

Swift
    For the most part, your never really too old; most fighters are in their prime from 28-34. You lose speed with age, which is why heavy weights can fight into their 40's, and lower weight classes don't have many +35 year olds. A benefit about training late is that your body has a lot less wear and tear from the inevitable injuires that come with training. I know people who've had multiple back surgeries as a result of training while they were in their 20's.