Too much Hespect for point fighter GSP.

1a. Fedor
1b. GSP

Silva and Jones have asterisks which keep them from #1 consideration for me.

That all being said, each of the 4 fighters I mentioned is, without question, one of the greatest fighters to ever compete. I enjoy splitting hypothetical hairs in these discussions as much as anyone, but it really rubs me wrong that it so often results in bullshit disrespect and belligerent disregard for what these guys have accomplished.

Is Fedor my #1 GOAT? Yes. Can you make a reasonable argument for a handful of other truly spectacular fighters? Yes. Do any of these guys suck? Absolutely goddamn not.

No doubt he is an all time great....but Greatest of All Time when considering all weight classes?

The guy lost to Hendricks, tapped to strikes(IN HIS PRIME)to a smaller, career journeyman in Serra, and just played it safe against everybody after.

Beating Bisping added nothing to his legacy as we all know he would have never stepped up against Yoel, Rocksalt or any legit-non-fluke MW champ.

Let’s all relax here and go actually watch some fights before crowning Greatest Safe Points(GSP) fighter as king.

Jones(without all the PED question marks would have a much better case) BUT if you are not a dumbass, hater and REALLY able to think logically and consider all factors and PRIME achievements/record/finishes, etc.....the choice is clear.

FEDOR%20NOGUEIRA%20WOOPIN.gif

GSP = 18 top 5 wins…
Fedor - didn’t even fight 10 top 5 fighters in his 40 plus fight career.

EZ choice!

GSP has the better resume than Jones, and it's not even close if you actually look at who GSP beat and when he beat them, vs who Jones beat and when he beat them.

Also, you don't give credit to GSP for beating Bisping, because in your make believe world, he wouldn't have fought Romero for the title (who's never held the title)? Go lick some windows lol

Also noting:
Jones went 4 years without stopping anybody except Middleweights.
And if GSP lost to Hendricks, then Jones lost to Gus.

Has GSP beaten anybody as good as DC? I don't think so.

A brown belt doesnt mean your topics have to be shit.

1. It's ridiculous to shame GSP for tapping to strikes. Noted warriors like Shogun, Ntate Diaz, and BJ Penn did the same or had their corners do it for them. It's smart. GSP is a very smart fighter imo.

(It's worth noting that GSP fans routinely shit on BJ Penn for essentially the same thing. They shouldn't.)

2. There's no question that GSP was a point fighter. He himself described his approach to every fight as trying to win round by round. However, GSP was never a lay and pray fighter. He was always active in every position.

1. It's ridiculous to shame GSP for tapping to strikes. Noted warriors like Shogun, Ntate Diaz, and BJ Penn did the same or had their corners do it for them. It's smart. GSP is a very smart fighter imo.

(It's worth noting that GSP fans routinely shit on BJ Penn for essentially the same thing. They shouldn't.)

2. There's no question that GSP was a point fighter. He himself described his approach to every fight as trying to win round by round. However, GSP was never a lay and pray fighter. He was always active in every position.

Good post as usual, about GSP fans kind of shitting on BJ for that corner stoppage though, the pre fight comments from BJ about never stopping like the terminator or the infamous to the death Georges added fuel to the fire imo.

No doubt he is an all time great....but Greatest of All Time when considering all weight classes?

The guy lost to Hendricks, tapped to strikes(IN HIS PRIME)to a smaller, career journeyman in Serra, and just played it safe against everybody after.

Beating Bisping added nothing to his legacy as we all know he would have never stepped up against Yoel, Rocksalt or any legit-non-fluke MW champ.

Let’s all relax here and go actually watch some fights before crowning Greatest Safe Points(GSP) fighter as king.

Jones(without all the PED question marks would have a much better case) BUT if you are not a dumbass, hater and REALLY able to think logically and consider all factors and PRIME achievements/record/finishes, etc.....the choice is clear.

FEDOR%20NOGUEIRA%20WOOPIN.gif

Didn't Fedor win by decision in that Gif?

GSP Ground and pounded the shit out of Fitch too

Jones has way better names imo, but this is key. GSP beat quality competition in their prime.
Better “names” maybe. But I believe Welterweight has always been more skilled and talented than LHW, and that includes the top guys.

I hate MMA Math, but look what Shields did to Hendo.

so that implies that 'greatness' depends (at least in part) on someone taking unnecessary risks to be more entertaining?
Yes, fans watch all sport to be entertained, so how entertaining a fighter is definitely holds some weight when judging a fighters greatness, it's not all that matters or even the most important aspect, but it matters.

GSP may not be the most exciting fighter but he is without a doubt the greatest. Avenged both of his losses, reigned as champ throughout multiple eras of MMA, put on clinics against everyone he fought, and retired as champ twice in two different weight classes. If that's not the GOAT then what is?

Who's highlight reel are you showing to new fans?

Definitely not GSP's.

Silva
Fedor
Jones
GOATS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back