Too much Halloween

Halloween is dead in my city, but Christmas and Easter are ridiculously blown out of proportion every year.

Halloween > Christmas

Halloween was great when I was a teen. Weeks of horror movies on tv and we’d all dress up for school and the class with the most costumes on won and it was my class. Oh yeah it was a pizza party you won lol. And it was half a day at school so it was even better. Last period we just ate pizza then went home at noon. Woo.

careful, you are in danger of being too fun and having too many friends that like you for your personality.

I think my rant is more about three things:

1. Three separate days of candy grubbing.

2. The school celebration: When I was a kid, the big push in schools was that "parents are not involved". Now, sign-up sheets have been sent home to both come in during the morning to put together a booth for the Halloween party, and to come in during the afternoon to man the booth. It seems that parents are indeed getting involved. It's just that I only want to ask for leave from my job when it is actual vacation time for me and the family, rather than handing out candy at my kid's school (I'll be doing that on the evening of the 31st anyway.)

3. I'm a curmudgeon

I actually think it's not as strong as when I was a kid. There's more money in it, but the spirit isn't as strong. Not really any Halloween specials on the networks or ghost documentaries on anything save for The Travel Channel and Destination America (the big four networks used to have some, I remember one that came on after America's Funniest People that haunted me so bad that the theme song for America's Funniest People creeped me out), the movie channels don't do horror movies like they used to, some homes decorate big but not as many homes decorate, towns don't really do anything either, autumn carnivals missing,not as many haunted house attractions, there used to be a ton of them some big some small, now it's just a few big ones. Parents used to organize a little Halloween parade for my neighborhood and I don't know what the local elementary schools are doing, but Halloween celebrations were great there when I went. It may be more commercial, but a bunch of the spirit has been sucked out, kind of like most aspects of life since the 2000's or late 90's hit (music, movies, internet, politics, media). Some of this could just be my area, some of it isn't though.

As a kid, Halloween meant a couple of scary movies on TV and trick or treating in the neighbourhood. Nothing at school except the cafeteria menu was printed on orange paper.

Meant going bombing for me and my crew. Backpack full of eggs and shaving cream canisters rigged to fire like water guns.

Your childhood neighborhood sounds pleasant.

I don't notice any difference in Halloween from 30-40 years ago to today. My schools all celebrated Halloween however the office I work in now is the only workplace I've been at that actively celebrates Halloween.

Back