Too large of an increase in weight?

P

Pugilistic

I have access to 3 gyms, and the smallest plate available in all three are 2.5kg plates. Which means I can change the weight on my lifts by increments of 5kg. This makes following programs a bit tricky as I have to round percentages up by 5kg. If I increase weight, it also has to be in increments of 5kg, which seems like too much.

For example, I'm following 5/3/1 right now and the program suggests increasing 5lbs every cycle, but I can only make changes in 5kg, which is about 11lbs, for those unfamiliar with the metric system.

Increases in 5kg seems like too much of a jump with some lifts, like with my overhead press. I'm wondering if there is a way around this. Perhaps I should increase reps before adding weight on my cycle?

I agree with ASU, but you could always just use larger difference in volume.
Daily or weekly undulating might make it easier to manage the bigger differences in weight from week to week.

week 1 3x10 light
week 2 5x3 medium/heavy
week 3 6-8x3 light speed/technique
increase weight, repeat...

I thought this was going to be about fat chicks

Maybe purchase some fractional plates of your own? They would most likely have good resale value anyways.

Rogue sells 1.25kg plates for 41 US, not sure where you are located....

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-...4ULO60nC_eXzzXs6VnV0Rj2POLSx18PEaAvZBEALw_wcB

I'm in Korea and I thought about buying my own 1kg plates and taking them too the gym but as of right now I don't want to spend extra money and carry around to weights to and from the gym. I just signed up to this new gym that's a bit more expensive than I'd like and I was hoping they'd have smaller plates but, alas no..

I agree with ASU, but you could always just use larger difference in volume.
Daily or weekly undulating might make it easier to manage the bigger differences in weight from week to week.

week 1 3x10 light
week 2 5x3 medium/heavy
week 3 6-8x3 light speed/technique
increase weight, repeat...

I guess more volume is the answer. I realized I can't follow 5/3/1 by the book because of the plate issue so I'll have to modify it and add more volume.

I face the same issue. I have been able to increase weight in squat and DL but my bench suffers as 5 kg is too much.

I face the same issue. I have been able to increase weight in squat and DL but my bench suffers as 5 kg is too much.
How's your technique?

I'm in Korea and I thought about buying my own 1kg plates and taking them too the gym but as of right now I don't want to spend extra money

Ankle weights work too. You can buy 0.5 and 1kg weights, which neans you can add increments of 2 or even 1kg.

I got half and kilo plates in 1" weights and use a zip tie to hang them off the bar. They are considerably cheaper than Olympic weights of that amount.

I have access to 3 gyms, and the smallest plate available in all three are 2.5kg plates. Which means I can change the weight on my lifts by increments of 5kg. This makes following programs a bit tricky as I have to round percentages up by 5kg. If I increase weight, it also has to be in increments of 5kg, which seems like too much.

For example, I'm following 5/3/1 right now and the program suggests increasing 5lbs every cycle, but I can only make changes in 5kg, which is about 11lbs, for those unfamiliar with the metric system.

Increases in 5kg seems like too much of a jump with some lifts, like with my overhead press. I'm wondering if there is a way around this. Perhaps I should increase reps before adding weight on my cycle?

Dude just really focus on a weight and master dat shit. Kind of like calisthenics dude with just body weight. I use to be obsessed with adding that extra 5 lbs asap too because progressive overlord 0-100 real quick was life but I changed my outlook on lifting when I hit the same snag as you and I never looked back afterwards.

Instead of trying to blast through small increment PRs I focused on a weight for a long time until I felt like I mastered it and I was ready to move on. For example I did dips with 45 plate for like 6 monthes Then I added another plate for total of 90 lbs. I dipped that for like 2 years. I then Added a third plate for 135 lbs and I’ve been dipping that for a minute. My goal is 4 plate /180 lb dips.

The same can be done with all exercises. You’re still progressive overloading but just in big increments over longer periods with same weight.

If you have access to three gyms, you must really know your body.

Use time under tension to get the 5 pounds in resistance rather than forking out money for the plates. Plus who wants to have that moving around in your back pack all the time?

Edit: 25 years ago I bought a clock for the World Gym I worked out at because I was tired of not knowing what time it was while I was working out. I didn't want to wear a watch while working out.

Last edited:
The only way around it is to bring your own weights. I bring magnet weights with me.

How's your technique?
I don't know not good enough I guess. I have been stuck on 60 kg for 5 reps and 65 for 3 for awhile now. Although I got comfortable with it. I will be trying to move on the next 6 weeks.

imag0317-e1318113870406.jpg

just go to a hardware store and get 2.5" washers. 4 washers= 2.5 lbs.

I'm in Korea and I thought about buying my own 1kg plates and taking them too the gym but as of right now I don't want to spend extra money and carry around to weights to and from the gym. I just signed up to this new gym that's a bit more expensive than I'd like and I was hoping they'd have smaller plates but, alas no..
You could ask the gym to get some 1.25kg plates or buy them yourself and ask if is ok to leave it at the gym while you are still a member.
Theres also small light magnetic plates which are useful for small increases in weight and are easier to carry to the gym.

I guess more volume is the answer. I realized I can't follow 5/3/1 by the book because of the plate issue so I'll have to modify it and add more volume.

Is there a demand from other members also? Maybe ask the owners/managers to purchase them.

imag0317-e1318113870406.jpg

just go to a hardware store and get 2.5" washers. 4 washers= 2.5 lbs.

That's what I have at home, I ground them down to make 2 1.25 glued together plates.

Back