Tony's training partner basically picks Khabib

I can't wait for this fight, I hope it actually happens for real this time

Why do you think Tony is the superior athlete in all regards?

Also- Khabib might be predictable- but nobody knows how to stop what he brings to table. Every one of his opponents knew what he intended to do against them and still couldn't stop it.

Tony might be unpredictable but so is Krazy Horse. A strong, solid style works like an antitode against ADHD styles.

Yes and no. Tony is a bit nutty and unpredictable, but there's a method to his madness. He quite obviously purposefully drags guys into wars of attrition, trusting his durability and cardio to be better than his opponent's. And it pretty much always is.

The interesting question in this fight to me is: Assuming Khabib is the hammer early and Tony is the nail, who slows down faster? Tony has cardio on a level maybe above anyone in MMA. Hell, maybe above anyone in the HISTORY of MMA. Khabib seems to have solid cardio, but has slowed in round 3 even in fights he's controlling (RDA fight, to a lesser degree Barboza fight). That's what I want to know. 12-14 minutes into the fight, if it hasn't ended by then, who's fresher?

For me this "fight" begins in round 3 if it makes it. I am pretty certain how the first two rounds are going to go. Slight chance Tony lands something big to hurt him or there is a stoppage. I expect Khabib to work for takedowns, get a few and keep control on the ground while Tony works of his back, which he wont have much success but he will make Khabib work harder in those first two rounds than anyone else.

Reason why I say the fight begins in round 3 is that is where the endurance and durability comes into play. I am pretty certain how the fight will go in round 1 and 2 when both guys are fresh. But lets see how 3/4/5 goes when they've already worked and cardio come into play. Tony is a fighter who needs time to get going and he's the guy who comes on later and breaks his opponents with his pace, he loses the early part but comes on late. It happened vs Lee, Barbosa and RDA. The srikes landed were in favor of the opponent and as the fight goes on the balance shifts. And one thing I noticed is Tony always has a very good second round and that is where the tide shifts, in this one if it does I expect it later in round 3. Khabib has never gone beyond 3, we know he cuts a lot of weight, and we know Tony can go 5 hard.....gets interesting in round 3

timestamped:

This guy doesn't explicitly say it but pretty much winks that he picks Khabib but can't say it because he trains with Tony

Damn, kind of disrespectful towards Tony.
Feel like no matter what you truly feel you should always "pick" your training partner.

Gonna be lot of shocked faces when Tony gets his hand raised.

Damn, kind of disrespectful towards Tony.
Feel like no matter what you truly feel you should always "pick" your training partner.

For DC/Jones I, Khabib basically hinted that he saw Jones winning but didn't explicitly say it.

I think it was a judgment on DC's mentality more than anything.

Gonna be lot of shocked faces when Tony gets his hand raised.

and then you wake up

khabib-nurmagomedov.jpg

Yes and no. Tony is a bit nutty and unpredictable, but there's a method to his madness. He quite obviously purposefully drags guys into wars of attrition, trusting his durability and cardio to be better than his opponent's. And it pretty much always is.

The interesting question in this fight to me is: Assuming Khabib is the hammer early and Tony is the nail, who slows down faster? Tony has cardio on a level maybe above anyone in MMA. Hell, maybe above anyone in the HISTORY of MMA. Khabib seems to have solid cardio, but has slowed in round 3 even in fights he's controlling (RDA fight, to a lesser degree Barboza fight). That's what I want to know. 12-14 minutes into the fight, if it hasn't ended by then, who's fresher?

Check out my post below yours that goes over that. I am picking Tony to take this fight in the later rounds, I think his cardio will prove to be superior and I think Khabib will slow down considering how hard Tony will make him work. But can he fend of Khabib in round 1 to 3 so when he does come on late in 4/5 it's enough? I trust Tony's pace and cardio he out paced RDA which is very hard to do, RDA is a guy who does that to his opponents and it was done to him.

Keep in mind Tony's durability and gas tank though. Lee isn't the grappler that Khabib is, but he's pretty damn good when fresh. Tony does take chances off his back that lead to him giving up position and getting in bad spots. But at the end of round 1, Tony had gained guard back just before the bell. And when the round ended, Tony popped right up and didn't even look like he'd broken a sweat (despite being mounted and eating some gnp).

Khabib won't sit in Tony's full guard, I think you're right. He prefers to advance to half guard and stay there to do damage. Early on, it will be interesting to see if Tony is able to tie Khabib up a bit in his rubber guard, avoid taking dumb chances, and make Khabib work. Again, Tony is crazy durable and way more capable off his back than MJ (you are showing him getting blasted, but MJ just is a turtle on the mat--see his last fight with Elkins) or Barboza, but he's so aggressive that sometimes it works against him.

IF Tony can survive early, there's a good chance his superior gas tank takes over late. Khabib has never been past 3 rounds, and has slowed in some of his fights after round 2 (not gassed, that's too strong a word for sure, but definitely slowed). Tony has cardio for weeks, he's not gonna get tired. If Tony survives and Khabib slows, we could very well see Tony take over and start piecing Khabib up, or getting Khabib's neck if he leaves it exposed due to fatigue.
This, most of Khabib's opponents (except for RDA and Tibau) are broken by the end of round 1. Tony will only be stronger after every round. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Check out my post below yours that goes over that. I am picking Tony to take this fight in the later rounds, I think his cardio will prove to be superior and I think Khabib will slow down considering how hard Tony will make him work. But can he fend of Khabib in round 1 to 3 so when he does come on late in 4/5 it's enough? I trust Tony's pace and cardio he out paced RDA which is very hard to do, RDA is a guy who does that to his opponents and it was done to him.

Yep totally agree, we kind said the exact same things ha ha. The RDA fight was even more telling in that it was in Mexico City at that crazy elevation, and EVERYONE was slowing down a lot by round 3 of their fights. Not Tony. He increased his output and pressure. Just an amazing display of cardio.

Funny, but that's exactly one of the reasons I'm picking against him - other than Tony being the superior athlete in nearly all regards. Khabib is like a machine, programmed and predictable. Tony is a fighter, driven from the inside and unpredictable. Can't wait for this fight!
yes and no I guess

Still green, bad weight cut, staph infection Kevin Lee took Tony down (multiple times) and mounted him.

This will be a beatdown on Khabib's part. People like to bring up Tony's guard game (which is very good), however I don't see Khabib sitting in his guard as he usually is always in a dominant top position when pounding his opponents and he wont play that game with Tony as it's pretty much the only danger he poses towards Khabib.

giphy.gif

Still full camp healthy Khabib couldn't finish Barboza who is far worse grappler and wrestler
than Tony.

Yep totally agree, we kind said the exact same things ha ha. The RDA fight was even more telling in that it was in Mexico City at that crazy elevation, and EVERYONE was slowing down a lot by round 3 of their fights. Not Tony. He increased his output and pressure. Just an amazing display of cardio.
You're one of the more level headed Tony fans on this board, so I implore you to spot the difference between fighting standing up with Barboza and RDA and carrying Khabib's weight while eating punches for the the same amount of time.

No elite grappler has ever pressured Tony before to my recollection. Most of his wars have been standup fights. I don't think there's a single fighter that somehow doesn't lose steam after grappling with Khabib for 2 rounds. The energy expenditure is just way greater for the guy on bottom.

An honest opinion is tough to pull off when he's confronted with questions of loyalty, especially since it's Ferg, who'll basically attack his acquaintances for it.

Still full camp healthy Khabib couldn't finish Barboza who is far worse grappler and wrestler
than Tony.
Barboza is much harder to take down than Tony. I thought Barboza was Khabib's toughest matchup in the whole division so I'm even more impressed that he was able to buzzsaw through him the way he did.

Why do you think Tony is the superior athlete in all regards?

Also- Khabib might be predictable- but nobody knows how to stop what he brings to table. Every one of his opponents knew what he intended to do against them and still couldn't stop it.

Tony might be unpredictable but so is Krazy Horse. A strong, solid style works like an antitode against ADHD styles.
Tools, dimensions, creativity, cardio. But primarily that he is driven from within and is a real fighter. Do you think Khabib would be an mma fighter if he was not compelled by his father's wishes and the power of inshallah? I don't.
Needless to say, they are both awesome at this stage in their evolution and i love this match-up.

Tools, dimensions, creativity, cardio. But primarily that he is driven from within and is a real fighter. Do you think Khabib would be an mma fighter if he was not compelled by his father's wishes and the power of inshallah? I don't.
Needless to say, they are both awesome at this stage in their evolution and i love this match-up.

Khabib's father actually expressed a desire for Khabib to retire before.

I think Habib's a better athlete because of his strength.

Back