Tony wins this, Khabib too one-dimensional!?

Now what? Wrist control, rubber guard, triangles, elbows, etc. Go watch Khabib's fights, he has never had to deal with a guard like Tony's. In fact, his last 2 fights he fought guys that never even made it to guard, they stupidly just tried to stand up and obviously couldn't. Tony isn't going to try to stand up, he's going to fight him from bottom every time it hits the mat.

Ah yes. They must not have been ready.

How does Tony win this? Kevin Lee is more one dimensional than Khabib and beat the fuck out of him for two rounds until his staph infected body could no longer go.

Khabib will MAUL him.

Ah yes. They must not have been ready.

Are you ignoring what I'm telling you? Khabib fights guys that don't use a guard most of the time, they rely on getting back up, not getting to guard. MJ and Barboza most recently tried that. Tony is not going to try to get up, he's going to use his guard. MJ and Barboza didn't even have a guard. Its a night and day difference, meaning its a completely different fight style and skill set.

ok, am I not seeing this through correctly?

I've finally seen khabib vs barboza fight and ... he's great and all but its just wrestling and gnp. Nothing else is impressive.

Tony, will be 100% ready for gnp and takedowns and he's amazing on ground as well.

I just think Tony has too much to offer here. good striking, creative, amazing cardio etc.

Khabib is amazing at takedown but what if ... what if ... Tony ... like ... actually will be ready and prepared for them!? what can Khabib offer if his gnp isn't enough to finish Tony in early rounds. Barboza seemed to survive this mythical gnp from Khabib.

... am I not seeing something in Khabib that everyone else is seeing or I'm the only one that values facts over speculations. Facts are ... Tony is just too well rounded and has a much better cardio. Who knows what can happen is this fight goes past round 3. Khabib never did anything past round 3, and he never fought anyone like Tony.
Jack of all trades vs master of one. I’ll take Khabib. Fergy is just too sloppy and careless for me

Are you ignoring what I'm telling you? Khabib fights guys that don't use a guard most of the time, they rely on getting back up, not getting to guard. MJ and Barboza most recently tried that. Tony is not going to try to get up, he's going to use his guard. MJ and Barboza didn't even have a guard. Its a night and day difference, meaning its a completely different fight style and skill set.

Great points and I agree

Who cares. Conor is laughing at those guys, he knows he's the actual champ. He knows he's got far superior stand up, and decent takedown defence. He's litterally laughing right now, picking and choosing.

Then why is he trying to fight a small fw Frankie Edgar on short notice at 165 instead of fighting any of them?

In amateur wrestling Lee went 37-0 before he dropped out to focus on MMA. I'm not saying he is as good as Khabib but he is an excellent wrestler and his take down, top control, and even full mount still didn't stop Tony from tapping him out. This fight with Tony and Khabib is very close.

And that's fine, I never said Lee wasn't a good wrestler. But I've yet to see anybody manhandle people the way Khabib has. It's a night and day difference between his top control and anyone else in the division and my point was that if Tony couldn't stop Lee from transitioning to mount, I think he's gonna have a very rough night with Khabib on top.

People seem to exclude the possibility that Tony might hurt Khabib before the takedown. Tony's not going to fight scared and be afraid to throw hands because of fear of being taken down. Khabib never really has been caught pressing forward with his combinations when he's looking to shoot. I want to see how his game changes(or not) if Tony stings him with a right or an elbow to the nose.

Or a knee.
How does Tony win this? Kevin Lee is more one dimensional than Khabib and beat the fuck out of him for two rounds until his staph infected body could no longer go.

Khabib will MAUL him.

Wow.

Do people not realize there are degrees of staph? Kevin's wasn't that bad. People acting like he walked in there a corpse...sad.

Lee had a nice rd 1. Got mount until Tony got guard back at the end of the round. Tony looked 100% fine the entire time. Rd 2 Lee did zero damage, but Yeah he "beat the fuck out of Tony". I swear, do people even watch fights before coming here and posting idiocy?

And finally, on what planet is Lee more one dimensional than Khabib? Lee has way better striking. Khabib is still the better fighter because his one dimension is just that good, but when it comes to who has a more well rounded game it's Lee for sure.

Being one dimensional does not matter when you can impose that one dimension on your opponent. It's not a given that Nurmagomedov will do it in this fight, but nobody has been able to stop him from doing so to date (except possibly Tibau, it's been a very long time since I watched that fight).

Tony is tough as shoe leather. Tougher than Barboza and Khabib couldn't finish him. The fight most likely goes the distance but Khabib never had a 5 round fight before. So can Khabib keep up that grueling pace for the full 5 rounds? Big question mark. But if my money is on any outcome it's the fight goes the distance. Khabib or tony by decision.

Being better at more dimensions means nothing if your opponent can immediately move the fight out of the areas of the fight game that incorporate those dimensions.

Tony is more well-rounded. But Khabib is significantly better than him at the one cluster of abilities that dictate where the fight goes and stays...that's why it's an interesting matchup.

Of course that's what all the sheep will say but these are the top 2 contenders so let the best man win.
I'm pretty stoked, finally, for this one but right now I'm more stoked for Holloway-Ortega.Ortega seems to sponge everything up in a remarkable way.He can take a punch which really makes him able to evolve quickly in the stand up department .I don't see Max being more than a - 175, -180 favorite.....maybe even lower.

Being one dimensional does not matter when you can impose that one dimension on your opponent. It's not a given that Nurmagomedov will do it in this fight, but nobody has been able to stop him from doing so to date (except possibly Tibau, it's been a very long time since I watched that fight).
The Tibau fight doesn't even matter, Tibau was on the juice.

I checked my clocks and they all said Khabib time. Maybe you didn't switch to DST.

200w.webp

Back