Tony Hawk lands a 900 at 48 years old

this is in my detached garage:
417231_927915892217_2073087974_n.jpg

and this is in my buddy's backyard (that's me drinking the beer and not helping):

Everyone in those pictures is late 30s/early 40s

That mini ramp is exactly what I always wanted at my house. I was always a street guy and I suck at transitions but a little ramp like that I believe I could still do all my street tricks on. How tall is that btw? 3 feet?

this is in my detached garage:
417231_927915892217_2073087974_n.jpg

and this is in my buddy's backyard (that's me drinking the beer and not helping):
562199_10151022068788767_383544536_n.jpg

Everyone in those pictures is late 30s/early 40s
Dude this is sick! I’m only 25 now and don’t skate much anymore. I remember building little minis with my mates from school, definitely didn’t come out great tho haha

hes gotta have3 brain damage just from the falls in this video, aftera lifetime of this hes living in concussion city

@Agent Mulder's Hair , thank you for this great trip down memory lane. Skating played a huge part in my youth. Until I got a car. Should have never stopped skating.

Steve Caballero is only 7 years older than me, but Jesus Christ I wish he was my dad. My kids didn’t understand when I lit up with happiness when I saw his board for sale at the Vans store.

That's pretty damn impressive. I'm 40 years old and I've been thinking about starting skating again just for the exercise and the fun of it. Part of me feels like it's stupid to be that old on a board, and I shouldn't do something so immature anymore. But man why not? It's fun and it always kept me in shape.

I've seen recent interviews with Tony Hawk where he is now 49 or 50 and he says skating keeps him agile and healthy. And it's only when he can't skate due to injury for a few weeks, that's when he starts getting stiff and feeling sore and old. But on the days he skates he says he still feels great.

Yep. I think I'm gonna grab my old board and start skating again.

Tony Hawk is the man this dude put skateboarding on the map, biggest star they ever had all time

I remember playing his video game every day after school it was so fun.

Tony Hawk from 1997 to 2004 was a super star he was everywhere all the rappers and rock stars were playing his game, he was all over MTV

I heard he made over 200 million dollars in his career.

Occasionally I see these dumbshit wannabe skaters on the street. You know, the guys who dress the part and then pick up their board to go up a curb. I’m so tempted to, while in my dress shirt, slacks, and tie, just grab one of their boards and bust a 180. I know I can still do it. But I also know that if I fuck up, I will dislocated my shoulder. Or I might accidentally break their deck. I’m about 30 lbs heavier than I was when I used to skate.

First of all that's a pretty poor analogy. Why would you make fun of someone for skateboarding but not say, playing in a softball league or pick up basketball as an adult? BTW, when you were 5 you played tag with your friends because it was FUN, not because it was "cool".

If playing tag was one of your favorite things to do would you stop doing it because you were afraid of what other people would think? If so I honestly feel bad for you.

I bet if you could get a group of adults to play a game of tag without any of them worrying about what their peers would think of them they'd have a blast.

My work regularly schedules kick ball games where we play against one of our clients and everyone has a great time (of course booze is involved - and now that I think about it, a game of drunken adult tag would probably be hilariously fun).

You should try taking that stick out of your ass before it gets stuck so far up there you can't get it out. Or of course you can continue only participating in socially acceptable activities that adults are "supposed" to do, while the rest of us enjoy our lives on our own terms.
I agree. Most people who have a passion for something usually respect others who have a passion for something, even if it's not their thing. Any backlash usually comes from people who don't do anything, though i don't experience much negative feedback these days. Skateboarding is still relatively young compared to the mainstream sports, so it's interesting to see it progress and actually gain more acceptance. All of a sudden there are more older pros and more guys like you and me who decided, "you know what? I don't want to stop, so I won't."

I don't know if PBI is just trolling, but it seems totally subjective to think putting a ball through a hoop or putting on oversize mittens and then punching your buddy in the face is more mature than rolling around on a board with wheels. I always have people ask to try my board in public and they always get that smile on their face. The older guys always get nostalgic. It's a great time and i'll never stop.

People have been saying this for thousands of years. We haven't evolved. 40 is 40.

If anything we've pussified. My German grandfather at 40 could have killed any five Sherdoggers at once.

I once watched my five-foot-tall Italian grandfather at 65 spend two hours smashing furniture with a twenty pound Sledgehammer. With one hand. Because he only had one arm. Because it had been blown off by a machine that exploded next to him. This guy survived that, two mine cave-ins, and a sunken submarine in WW II.

So yeah, 40 is 40.
I can ollie higher than your Italian and German grandfathers combined. Lighten up, Francis.

That mini ramp is exactly what I always wanted at my house. I was always a street guy and I suck at transitions but a little ramp like that I believe I could still do all my street tricks on. How tall is that btw? 3 feet?

Yep it's exactly 3 feet. You probably would, I learned almost every ramp trick I know on that thing and it's very forgiving. You can pretty much try anything you can think of without worrying about getting hurt too bad.

Your grandparents can ollie?

I bet I can kickflip higher than them.

I bet you're wrong.

Even though they're dead, they're probably better than you, that generation was so strong.

I agree. Most people who have a passion for something usually respect others who have a passion for something, even if it's not their thing. Any backlash usually comes from people who don't do anything, though i don't experience much negative feedback these days. Skateboarding is still relatively young compared to the mainstream sports, so it's interesting to see it progress and actually gain more acceptance. All of a sudden there are more older pros and more guys like you and me who decided, "you know what? I don't want to stop, so I won't."

it's kind of weird that nobody would raise an eyebrow if they saw an older dude surfing. but put an older dude on a skateboard and it seems to be different. it shouldn't be any different.

Tougher than death?

That man hasn't been born yet.

Can you imagine how high vikings must've been able to ollie??

I'm curious why you're in a thread about tony hawk landing one of the most difficult tricks in skateboarding at 48 years old arguing that your dead grandparents can do an ollie because they were "tough" and calling everyone from your own generation a pussy. You sounds like you must be pretty miserable.

Anyway, I see your grandfather with a missing arm and raise you this guy:

I'm curious why you're in a thread about tony hawk landing one of the most difficult tricks in skateboarding at 48 years old arguing that your dead grandparents can do an ollie because they were "tough" and calling everyone from your own generation a pussy. You sounds like you must be pretty miserable.

Came to tell the that guy not to start trying dangerous tricks post forty because they're a sure path to debilitating injury.

Stayed to bust balls.

Back