Tony Hawk lands a 900 at 48 years old

That's pretty damn impressive. I'm 40 years old and I've been thinking about starting skating again just for the exercise and the fun of it. Part of me feels like it's stupid to be that old on a board, and I shouldn't do something so immature anymore. But man why not? It's fun and it always kept me in shape.

I've seen recent interviews with Tony Hawk where he is now 49 or 50 and he says skating keeps him agile and healthy. And it's only when he can't skate due to injury for a few weeks, that's when he starts getting stiff and feeling sore and old. But on the days he skates he says he still feels great.

Yep. I think I'm gonna grab my old board and start skating again.

so epic. I love putting this stuff on when the guy at work thats like 37 claims hes too old for basically everything . . .

I remember watching his first one live. Getting old I guess.

thats why he has video games named after him

You get old when you stop doing this shit, not the other way around

Tony hawk was my hero when I was skating as an 8 year old kid.

Then other interests came and I stopped skating. I wonder how I would do today if I just hopped on a board, not having been on one in 30 years?

Crazy stuff man. Good find.
But those falls looked rough. I can't imagine doing that at that age.

"You almost had it." - Skateboarder Number 1.

"Dude, you were awesome." - Skateboarder Number 2.

"That shit was GNARLY, son." - Skateboarder Number 3.

By the way, I always thought that this film was awesome.

Last edited:
You just have to never stop.

I'm 36 now, and I hadn't skated in a really long time until we moved into our new house 3 years ago. We have a long blacktop driveway and my kids + their friends are always out riding scooters and bikes. I figured that I might as well roll around with them. I really only do it on the weekends, and it's often messing around while drinking a couple beers.

Believe it or not, you can actually relearn a decent portion of what you used to be able to do. Consistency is not even close to the same, but I'm able to figure out how to do a lot of the things that I used to be able to. I've actually learned a couple new tricks too. I've got a 12' flatbar and then a 9' fun box. With skating those and flatground, everything is pretty mellow. I have gone to the skatepark about 8 times now, but I've got hurt twice there. Once was just pulling/straining my calf. I had to get put on steroids and muscle relaxers to get over that. The last time I actually hit my head falling. That one was pretty scary, so I'm not sure I'll be heading back there.

Also, the skatepark almost always has someone 30+ skating. I skated with a 43 year old there. He looked like he was 25 or so. I was shocked when he told me how old he is.

The to staying young is to keep moving. As soon as you stop your body starts dying especially the older you get.

it's a mindset. It really is. 40 is NOT what it used to be.

It's knowledge. People 40 years ago were eating canned food and things like stretching and exercise were not on the level they are today (in common practice). Today, shit... You simply Google "top nutritious foods" and "core training" and the knowledge is at your fingertips.

The Michael Jordan of skating

I still skate at 44 and know other guys my age and older who are still into it. If you want to do it, then go for it. Sometimes just pushing around ollieing cracks and sewer caps is the best time. Puts a smile on your face and makes whatever you were stressing about just disappear.

That's pretty damn impressive. I'm 40 years old and I've been thinking about starting skating again just for the exercise and the fun of it. Part of me feels like it's stupid to be that old on a board, and I shouldn't do something so immature anymore. But man why not? It's fun and it always kept me in shape.

I've seen recent interviews with Tony Hawk where he is now 49 or 50 and he says skating keeps him agile and healthy. And it's only when he can't skate due to injury for a few weeks, that's when he starts getting stiff and feeling sore and old. But on the days he skates he says he still feels great.

DO
IT

I just turned 40 a month ago and learned 2 new tricks last week, one of which I've tried numerous times before and gave up because it just didn't feel natural and I didn't think I'd ever be able to learn it (5-0 to fakie on transition).

I've been skating since I was 14 and have never stopped for longer than a few months. Even when I had my ACL surgery I started pushing around while I was still in a full length brace and before I even started rehab (my trainer told me it looked like I'd already had a month of rehab on it when I started therapy).

That's totally true what Tony said about getting stiff. I actually found at one point when I had put skating aside or at least wasn't skating as often because I was focusing on training for my first BJJ tourney and I noticed I was getting injured and sore easily in training. I backed off training just enough to allow myself some time to skate and I stopped getting hurt and sore so easily.

If you're not doing shit like throwing yourself down stair cases and hand rails on a regular basis and keep it a little more conservative as you get older I think it's actually a really really good way to keep active and your body limber and loose.

I had to pretty much give up street skating except for flat ground and ledges, my joints just can't handle the impact any more. My favorite things to skate these days are concrete bowls and mini ramps, which I didn't start learning how to skate until my mid 20s because I was focused on street skating (plus there weren't really concrete skate parks all over the place back then so street skating was by far the most accessible)

Why shouldn't you? Because you're not fucking Tony Hawk.

You need to take that old board, give it to your fucking son and get back in the office. Go to the gym like an adult and lift weights or run to stay in shape. Your old ass is just going to roll an ankle or bust a hip.

The only grown ass men who should be on a skateboard are those who made a living doing it for the last twenty years.

I landed a Boise 10 when I was 39 years old.

so epic. I love putting this stuff on when the guy at work thats like 37 claims hes too old for basically everything . . .

"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing."

Why shouldn't you? Because you're not fucking Tony Hawk.

You need to take that old board, give it to your fucking son and get back in the office. Go to the gym like an adult and lift weights or run to stay in shape. Your old ass is just going to roll an ankle or bust a hip.

The only grown ass men who should be on a skateboard are those who made a living doing it for the last twenty years.

you need to shut the hell up

I was a huge fan of Habitat and Kerry Getz. I even attempted to get sponsored

I miss skating, but I don’t miss that one asshole pebble on the sidewalk and of course always falling on the same spot on my hip leaving a month long black and green bruise

yea, unless you are tony hawk and getting paid to be skating, i think it is pretty pathetic to be more than 25 or so and still skating

I keep seeing this... why would you stop doing something you enjoy because of what other people might think? I think that attitude is a lot more pathetic than some old dude enjoying the shit out of a hobby he's had since he was a kid.

Seems like a pretty bitch made way to live your life. I turned 40 in May and still skate at least once a week and have a mini ramp in my garage. Most of my friends are a similar age and we still skate as much as possible, taking road trips to skate parks, etc.

You should try it. I'll even give you a free lesson or two. (I actually worked on the side just for fun as a skateboard instructor giving private lessons through a company called goskate.com up until a year or two ago)

Skateboarding is immature? Thats a weird perspective

Real grown men play with balls. Or watch other grown men play with balls on TV.

because they're too fat, uncoordinated, lazy or insecure to actually do it themselves

I keep seeing this... why would you stop doing something you enjoy because of what other people might think? I think that attitude is a lot more pathetic than some old dude enjoying the shit out of a hobby he's had since he was a kid.

Seems like a pretty bitch made way to live your life. I turned 40 in May and still skate at least once a week and have a mini ramp in my garage. Most of my friends are a similar age and we still skate as much as possible, taking road trips to skate parks, etc.

You should try it. I'll even give you a free lesson or two. (I actually worked on the side just for fun as a skateboard instructor giving private lessons through a company called goskate.com up until a year or two ago)
you do a lot of things when you are a kid that you outgrow. i mean i dont go out and have a mean game of tag with my friends because it was cool when we were 5.

you do a lot of things when you are a kid that you outgrow. i mean i dont go out and have a mean game of tag with my friends because it was cool when we were 5.

Instead of the traditional tag, we opt to tag the other with paintballs.

Back