Tony Ferguson's 'elbow from the bottom' strategy won't work imo...

wildchild88

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I am not an expert in grappling, but I have grappled throughout my twenties with bjj and judo..

I just feel like, from my experience that elbowing guys from the bottom who have ELITE top control is a bad idea.

You will be pushing your elbows across the centre line and away from your body, you will also be creating space without controlling your opponent...

Seems like the perfect way to get folded up and passed aggresively...

I will get flamed for this, his team knows far far better than me, but just a thought..

The elbows by themselves, I agree.

The constant crazy scrambles combined with the elbows....THAT is what interests me in this fight.

Last edited:
Hard to use elbows when prrssed against the cage and unable to even use one of ur arms

The elbows by themselves, I agree,

The constant crazy scrambles combined with the elbows....THAT is what interests me in this fight.

Yeah, that's going to be the game within the game that really fascinates me about this fight. Assuming it actually happens

giphy.gif

Conventional logic doesn't really work for Tony though. He's a true wildcard and regularly pulls off weird shit in the octagon that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Did your twenties just fly by like mine, TS?

Here I am, an absolute child at 32

Ferguson has been sharpening his elbows on steel pipes for weeks in preparation for this fight.

I can see those elbows dealing some serious damage.

tumblr_nrkcutHxVc1rofocqo1_500.gif

Tony catches Khabib with a random spinning elbow to the dome. Jumps on his dazed body and finishes with the RnC.
VhTbydl.gif

Last edited:
Conventional logic doesn't really work for Tony though. He's a true wildcard and regularly pulls off weird shit in the octagon that doesn't make a lot of sense.
Agreed

His natural craftiness is a perfect match with 10th planet

gonna be on the edg(y) of my seat...

You can't win a modern high level mma fight by striking from the bottom. Thats not to say tony shouldn't do it if given the opportunity but it sure as hell isnt gonna win him the fight

You could put your opponent on Queer Street but if they are on top, no judge in MMA will give you the nod from the bottom. They just don't know what they are watching.

It is said, Possession is 9/10's of the law. In this case, it's position, not possession.

This fight is going to be fucking sick. I know McNuggets brings a lot of hype, but I would rather see these two fight over anything Conor has to offer.

habibs gonna BTF outta Tony first couple rounds.. but wont get a TD after rd 3. be wore the fuck out controlling Tonys scrambles and bottom strikes - so even if Tony doesn't bust him up it succeeds. Then its all Tony. Khabib is not a finisher. Tony is. I Got Tony by whatever he wants rd 4. Probably a choke

Habib shoulda showed up when 3 rounds

How do guys not break their bursa sac's more often?I have broken mine twice elbowing people and had a boob on my elbow lol.I don't think it's Tony's strategy,he just knows he's going to end up on his back so he'll be trying to cut him up.It's not like he's going to pull guard just to implement this gameplan lol.I don't think he'll have much success off his back.His ground in that aspect is very overrated imo.

The elbows by themselves, I agree.

Damn I was all for what TS was saying, but first reply got me like <mma4>

Hahaha love this sport. Still so much to learn.

Back