Tony Ferguson could get that WW belt

Yeah that guy who got outpointed by Rory sure is invicible....

Tony would beat him via being the better fighter everywhere.

Lmao, so delusional.

Tyrone would literally snap his neck with a punch you buffoon. Get over it.

If he can beat Khabib and Conor to become LW GOAT he should definitely move up and see how he does. He might have to as he gets older anyway. He's said he's been up over 200 lbs before.

LOL@anyone needing to beat Conor to be LW goat. Dude has one fight at LW in the UFC against one of the weakest LW champions in history and hasn't defended once.

Way too hard for most humans? I gotta disagree. The guy isn't a KO machine. He has like 2 or 3 finishes inside the ufc (10+ fights). in the last five fights we saw him get unanimous decisions, split decisions, draw and only one finish.

Meanwhile Ferg has never been knocked out, would have height and reach advantage, has probably the most dangerous guard in MMA and can hold his own on the feet.

I mean, Tyron is good, he isn't a champion by luck. But let's not forget the Rory fight. And Tony is a better Rory
Didn't say he was a KO machine. I said he hits too hard for most people. If he lands clean on anyone in the division, they're going to sleep. No one has to agree, except biology.

I think Tony has proven to be willing to exchange punches & he gets hit a bit. Tony is a zombie though, although I wouldn't test that quality against someone with Woodley's power.

A lot of people have never been knocked out.....until they finally get knocked out. Plenty of legendary iron beards on that list of guys who "can't be KO'd" that finally get KO'd.....MMA, boxing....a long list of legends & hall of famers on that list. Moving up 15 lbs & facing someone with impressive quick twitch fibers & devastating power is a good recipe for being introduced to a first KO.
I don't think Rory & Tony are all that similar...especially when it comes to how they move & set up their attacks. Both being well rounded doesn't make them similar. I don't think Tony is a better Rory either. I think Rory may be the best 170 pounder in the world right now. Tony is very good & tricky, but I think his movement may give Woodley opportunities to catch him with his sprints.

Also, let's not forget that Rory - Woodley happened nearly 4 years ago. Both have improved since then.

I think Tony's guard & submission game gives him his best chance, but I think a submission will require Woodley making errors that he'll likely be working on avoiding. I don't see Tony's pressure fighting having the same effect on a bigger stronger fighter with much more power. Walking Woodley down might be the worst thing that Tony could do. & I don't see him fighting from the outside & picking Woodley apart. I don't think Tony can maintain dominant angles fighting Woodley from the outside.

As I said previously, I could certainly be wrong, but I just don't see Tony's physically dominant game & pressure fighting having the same effect on guys that are naturally bigger & stronger on him. I think he could have success at 170, but some guys are going to give him problems due to their ability to resist Tony in the areas that 155ers will yield.

Is he going to land a fluke eyepoke to turn around the fight?

Still clutching to that, huh?

Most guys who get eye poked are ready to go again less than a minute later and many of them even end up winning the fight. RDA was no different; He just got beat by the better man that night. Sulk it up, bruh.

One thing that I think people take for granted, is weight. Beating a guy at one weight DOES NOT necessarily mean that you'll beat them at another weight. RDA may be a different beast at 170.

And let's just say, for shits & giggles, that Tony CAN, in fact beat a 170 RDA just as handily as he did at 155. What does Tony do if RDA can't get the strap off of Woodley? Because Woodley ANNIHILATES Tony...and pretty quickly. I don't see Tony getting out of the first 13 minutes with Woodley.
I may literally have the opposite opinion to you.

If Woodley and Ferguson fought, I think it'd be a demonstration of how so many fans are obsessed with weight classes. Of how fans create a separation in their minds between fighters from each of their divisions...

Ferguson would have the size advantage against Woodley. He's taller and longer, and it'd give him an advantage on the feet. His leverage would complement his wrestling skills in making it difficult for Woodley to take down and control him. Woodley would be reduced to having a puncher's chance. He's a very predictable fighter (the opposite of Ferg); he'd back up against the cage and throw overhands.

Essentially, Tony is taller, longer, a better striker, with good enough wrestling to stop takedowns, with better submissions, much better cardio, and unmatched unpredictability. He should be a comfortable favorite.

People overrate and misunderstand size advantages. Weight classes are there to separate fighters of different SIZES. They aren't just about separating weight. As weight increases, so do height and reach. Even then, weight, height, and reach are all just 3 variables in a complicated style matchup. Then, when matchups are made, fighters can be compared more specifically. Just because most WW have a size advantage over most LW, doesn't mean they all do. So, let's compare the fighters:

Ferguson
  • Striking advantage
  • Submission advantage
  • Cardio advantage
  • Unpredictability advantage
  • Chin advantage (possibly)
  • 2 inches of height, aiding some of the above points, plus helps with leverage and distance for TDD
  • 2 inches of reach, aiding some of the above points, plus helps with leverage and distance for TDD
  • Fewer pounds to cut, increasing the cardio advantage
Woodley
  • A big right hand
  • Powerful takedowns
  • 10 lbs or so of muscle that only serve to aid the above 2 points, while reducing Tyron's cardio

Still clutching to that, huh?

Most guys who get eye poked are ready to go again less than a minute later and many of them even end up winning the fight. RDA was no different; He just got beat by the better man that night. Sulk it up, bruh.

Yeah man, played no factor at all

tony-ferguson-of-the-united-states-accidentally-pokes-the-eye-of-dos-picture-id621333402

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Despite the fact that Tony only took over and started winning in the later rounds, and needed round 2, where he poked RDA's eye, to win the fight 3-2.

No eye poke and RDA wins 48-47

I may literally have the opposite opinion to you.

If Woodley and Ferguson fought, I think it'd be a demonstration of how so many fans are obsessed with weight classes. Of how fans create a separation in their minds between fighters from each of their divisions...

Ferguson would have the size advantage against Woodley. He's taller and longer, and it'd give him an advantage on the feet. His leverage would complement his wrestling skills in making it difficult for Woodley to take down and control him. Woodley would be reduced to having a puncher's chance. He's a very predictable fighter (the opposite of Ferg); he'd back up against the cage and throw overhands.

Essentially, Tony is taller, longer, a better striker, with good enough wrestling to stop takedowns, with better submissions, much better cardio, and unmatched unpredictability. He should be a comfortable favorite.

People overrate and misunderstand size advantages. Weight classes are there to separate fighters of different SIZES. They aren't just about separating weight. As weight increases, so do height and reach. Even then, weight, height, and reach are all just 3 variables in a complicated style matchup. Then, when matchups are made, fighters can be compared more specifically. Just because most WW have a size advantage over most LW, doesn't mean they all do. So, let's compare the fighters:

Ferguson
  • Striking advantage
  • Submission advantage
  • Cardio advantage
  • Unpredictability advantage
  • Chin advantage (possibly)
  • 2 inches of height, aiding some of the above points, plus helps with leverage and distance for TDD
  • 2 inches of reach, aiding some of the above points, plus helps with leverage and distance for TDD
  • Fewer pounds to cut, increasing the cardio advantage
Woodley
  • A big right hand
  • Powerful takedowns
  • 10 lbs or so of muscle that only serve to aid the above 2 points, while reducing Tyron's cardio
Well, I'm referring to "size." So, you're right there. Didn't mean to emphasize the "divisions" without emphasis on the size difference. I realize that Tony is a big guy for his division & would fit into 170 pretty well. But fighting 155 guys is different than 170 guys. That is a huge factor that I feel is underappreciated. It feels different...especially over the course of a contest.

I'm not certain that Tony is the overall larger guy, despite being longer. I think Woodley has more mass & density & he's used to handling larger guys. It's an interesting match up. You raise some very good points. I can't say that either one of us is absolutely correct, which is why this match intrigues me. I just think Woodley's explosive power will catch Tony off guard. I get Tony's unpredictability. But I also think Tony is rather plodding. I think his weird movement helps disguise his being rather slow afoot & his unpredictability disrupts timing. But I think Woodley is one of those type of athletes that can time him & capitalize.

one of the weakest LW champions in history

You guys can keep parroting this, but Eddie has beaten a major champ from every single org except PRide as he never fought Gomi, been top 10 for over a decade, has only top 5 wins in this UFC run (and it's 4 of them which is a lot), and KO'd who many thought would be the LW GOAT in under a round.

But sure, keep saying that Alvarez is worse than Caol Uno, Jens Pulver, or Sean Sherk

I don't even think ferguson himself believe he can beat woodley
Ferguson would get ktfo,easy fight for woodley
Both camps were discussing a fight between the two before.. only recently. So it's not that far off to imagine it could happen sooner then later. It's just Tony isn't a draw, so why give him a bigger payday then he can obtain himself?

Tony's a decent sized LW, I think he'd do fine at WW. If RDA is a title contender, don't see why Tony couldn't be ad well.

Yeah man, played no factor at all

tony-ferguson-of-the-united-states-accidentally-pokes-the-eye-of-dos-picture-id621333402

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Despite the fact that Tony only took over and started winning in the later rounds, and needed round 2, where he poked RDA's eye, to win the fight 3-2.

No eye poke and RDA wins 48-47

That disputes nothing I said.

RDA got his time off for the eye poke and then he was right back at it with no noticeable handicap. As for Tony winning the later rounds? He was winning the first two as well (might have just barely lost the first one) and fights can swing any which way depending on several factors. Tony outworks his opponents and his durability and cardio got the better of RDA at the end of the day. You hiding behind a single, non-serious eye poke that he got a time out for is just sour grapes.

Tyrun would get his neck snapped you mean

LMAO! Yeah, because the best jiu-jitsu practitioner, maybe a hairline behind Jacare at worst, could not do ANYTHING, but little brown belt Tony is going to snap his neck? lmao, funny story.

Maybe you should go lock yourself in the closet and think about what you've just done.

Really like Ferguson, exciting and relentless, that being said he gets hit cleanly entirely to often and relies on his decent chin and great recovery too much for WW.. the 170 pound division has some power punchers that would absolutely clean his clock.

LOL@anyone needing to beat Conor to be LW goat. Dude has one fight at LW in the UFC against one of the weakest LW champions in history and hasn't defended once.
I don't mean Tony needs to beat Conor specifically, rather he just needs a couple more big wins overall in the division.

Back