Toney against Rampage instead of Couture

Because Rampage and Leonard Garcia are so well known for their takedown attempts.

You know Rampage spent a good portion of his career as a GnP fighter right?

He was a wrestler before he was a boxer.

Shit even Kimbo a guy who is not a fucking wrestler made sure to take down Mercer
LMAO Kimbo looked like an absolute savage in that fight. Takedowns, clinch, knees, subs, etc. damn probably his best performance

This idea that MMA fighters have to take boxers down and that`s the only path to win is hilarious. There is even people here talking about Conor vs Floyd and how Conor "wouldn`t take him down because of his ego" so what? He would lose? lmfao Conor would kick Floyd into oblivion, and altough not a big part of his arsenal but he still had it and they were actually pretty good, one kick from Rampage and Toney would be in a world of pain.

Rampage would clinch him against the cage and beat the fuck outa him.

I actually think Rampage might of been stupid enough to actually stand and trade with Toney trying to prove something because of the trash talk and his ego.

I wonder why Dana didn't give us the real fight or crossover from a high level boxer to MMA. My best guess is he was afraid Toney might KO page or any other Stand up fighter. He knew Couture would roll him into a pretzel or any other grappler for that matter.

I meant in MMA. I can't see him trying to take Floyd down.
i can't see him not doing what he has to do to win. he's not a stupid guy even if he prances about like a flamboyant peacock.

I wonder why Dana didn't give us the real fight or crossover from a high level boxer to MMA. My best guess is he was afraid Toney might KO page or any other Stand up fighter. He knew Couture would roll him into a pretzel or any other grappler for that matter.

That's exactly what I was thinking. He didn't want to risk the boxer beating the MMA fighter, so he didn't pick a stand up fighter (albeit Couture had nasty dirty boxing). I think most fans would want to see a boxer against an MMA boxer though.

LMAO Kimbo looked like an absolute savage in that fight. Takedowns, clinch, knees, subs, etc. damn probably his best performance

I agree completely. I was extremely surprised how easy Kimbo mauled him. It seems like most people say Kimbo immediately went for the takedown, but thats not true at all. At the time, Kimbo had a couple years of MMA training and was eager to try his new weapons. And he commenced to beating Mercers ass with standing elbows, knees, from the clinch, and some gnp, before finishing him off.

What would have happened if they gave Toney an MMA boxer, like Rampage, instead of a wrestler in Couture? Let's put aside the fact that he was way past his prime. The point is, what if a pro boxer fights an MMA boxer in MMA, where the MMA fighter is well known for not having any kicking or takedown ability?

It seems like the boxer wins, because after all, they are just boxing with smaller gloves.

Couture was in his 40s in that fight. Are you claiming that toney wad past his prime and couture wasn't???

That's exactly what I was thinking. He didn't want to risk the boxer beating the MMA fighter, so he didn't pick a stand up fighter (albeit Couture had nasty dirty boxing). I think most fans would want to see a boxer against an MMA boxer though.

Go watch boxing.

Back